Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 07-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #1
WHITETAIL111

Brand new to Kayaking. Advice?

Hey guys. Just picked up my first kayak (SOT model)and am planning on trying it out this weekend. I want to feel totally comfortable on it prior to taking it out fishing. Especially in the saltwater. I have a million questions and don't even know where to begin? Safety...rigging....preventing losing gear(if you flip),reentry if you flip..etc. I guess I'm just looking for everyones 2c worth of important advice. Can you guys give me some pointers? Some things like re-entry, I realize, are things I'll have to practice. I'm trying to sponge everything I can read about regarding safety first! Gear I can replace. But I'd like to prevent that ofcourse. Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys! Bob
WHITETAIL111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
Congrats, welcome to the dark side..

put a lanyard on all your gear, rods and esp paddle!

go out on a back pond or very calm shallow waters and flip it, and re-enter. Also, wear your vest and test it out, it should hold your haed above water!
Lots of different ways to rig them...here's mine...
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ad.php?t=35056

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
ridler72
Lubina Estriada!

Your life will never be the same Bob. Before I ventured out I practiced a self rescue with PFD on. I wear my PFD on at all times. For an idea on how a self rescue is done you can visit Tom Holteys website and it will show pictures for SOT users.

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Ar...n/DeepWaterReEntry.html#solo

Bring a single rod out and a few single hook lures. Get use to landing fish because it will be a regular activity. Get use to your kayak. Move around, sit side saddle and enjoy.

I have been to the top in kayak fishing and now I am back at the bottom. I should have never had left the bottom. Remember that.

Kayak Fishing Baby! Fish Reel Hard!
ridler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
WHITETAIL111

Put a lanyard on everything...shows you how new I am...are there special ones I should get? Do people just use like parachute cord or do you need the coiled ones you have in your pictures. I can see where those would be nice to have seeing they are retractable.
Do I need to worry about an anchor system now? Not sure how to rig that?
How about if you flip with your electronics? I know most are waterproof, but are not exactly supposed to be underwater for awhile are they?
How hard is it to right a kayak once your gear is in it and some items dangling off lanyards?
WHITETAIL111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Jeff Lopez, AKA Ridler, was being very modest. He is one of the premier kayak fishermen around, and has been a force in bringing more people into the sport. Check out his website at www.newenglandkayakfishing.com

Enjoy and I'm sure you will find more than enough info there to steepen your learning curve. Good people there.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:53 PM   #6
ridler72
Lubina Estriada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Jeff Lopez, AKA Ridler, was being very modest. He is one of the premier kayak fishermen around, and has been a force in bringing more people into the sport. Check out his website at www.newenglandkayakfishing.com

Enjoy and I'm sure you will find more than enough info there to steepen your learning curve. Good people there.
Not anymore. I gave up everything, thank god for that!

Kayak Fishing Baby! Fish Reel Hard!
ridler72 is offline   Reply With Quote