Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #31
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
He's dug his heels in and has said he will not negotiate. That is NOT the type of leader this country has counted on for 230 plus years. His trump card did not bring a conciliatory offer from the other side and now it's a game of who will blink first. Americans who voted for him to be in this office get what they deserve, an incompetent figurehead...
Actually, I believe the House and Senate dems have tried to get the budget talks into conference 20 times over the past six months in efforts to negotiate.

Instead the GOP killed all attempts up until last week after pushing the House bill through, so they can use the shutdown as leverage.

Right now, it looks like there's enough support get a clean bill through and end the standoff, yet Bohner won't put it to the floor.

Who's the problem again?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #32
lamigsb1

Quote:
I only wish we could furlough the college professors who have been filling the youth with all their leftist thinking. Let them feel some of the pain....
Funny, I learned to be a leftist while serving my country under a Republican Commander in Chief. As for college. My economics, civics and calc professors, were republucian and not afraid to voice political opinion to students. My sociology professor claimed to be a libertarian. The only 2 dems were composition and literature.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #33
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Actually, I believe the House and Senate dems have tried to get the budget talks into conference 20 times over the past six months in efforts to negotiate.

Instead the GOP killed all attempts up until last week after pushing the House bill through, so they can use the shutdown as leverage.

Right now, it looks like there's enough support get a clean bill through and end the standoff, yet Bohner won't put it to the floor.

Who's the problem again?
They all are the problem. Boehner doesn't represent me, and has actually alienated me almost to the point that Newt did.... Both sides at fault. But one side is in the leadership position. Wishing there were leaders who would sit down and get it done, as Tip and Reagan used to do behind closed doors....despite their polar differences. Two leaders, who could lead. And their parties would follow their lead.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #34
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.ShoreFisher View Post
How 'bout them striped bass?! lol
That's why a politics thread was created, hell i actually like reading these as it gives me a better understanding of the otherside,politics isnt my thing.....
Old 10-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #35
Fly Rod

Sounds like we R on the political thread....should be moved

watching something more educational about apples on Chronicle
Old 10-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #36
spence

Ha, didn't know it was the wrong forum
Old 10-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #37
Ian
Idiot

But seriously, how can they legally close open water? And enforce any violations they doll out? Even landowners can't keep the public out of the water in front of their property...
Old 10-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #38
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
But seriously, how can they legally close open water? And enforce any violations they doll out? Even landowners can't keep the public out of the water in front of their property...
Good to get the thread back on track.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/st...part-shutdown/
Old 10-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #39
zimmy

Quote:
Two leaders, who could lead. And their parties would follow their lead.
How would that go? Ok, Boehner, tea party wants to connect this budget to the unrelated affordable care act, we'll negotiate. Assault weapon ban for 1 year delay of Obamacare? This is a stupid and unprecedented case of extortion. The government may never work again if this is how the parties deal with these issues going forward. As of Wednesday there were 5 republican congressmen in Philadelphia area districts alone calling for a vote on a clean bill. They can't even get their own party to allow a vote. The only reason the government is shutdown is because Boehner lost his sack and as a result the National seashores get closed. This is the main forum, right

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #40
Saltheart

Right now , the Speaker of the House is more powerful than the President. The circumstances just happen to make it that way. The Speaker has lots of options , the President has only two...negotiate with the Republican controlled house leadership or keep the government closed and default on government debt. The President has never made any effort to form alliances with Republican leaders. Its always been "my way or the highway" when he had both the House and Senate. Well now he doesn't and he's still trying to play "my way or the highway". Unless he can negotiate for another card , he has the losing hand . The big question is how much destruction of the USA are these two pig heads willing to allow before they sit down and work things out by negotiating like they are supposed to.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Old 10-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #41
Nebe

Vote them all out. Term limits in the congress and senate as well. Oh and make it mandatory for all children or grand children to serve on the front lines of any stupid wars they wage. I hate them all lately.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #42
JackK
Not Jack

While we're at it, let's get rid of that whole "receive a salary for life" bit as well.

This whole thing is just a huge PIA.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #43
Slipknot
Super Moderator

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/bl...#axzz2gyvIc7ZD

maybe this should be in that forum for the other kind of discussions, up to John. I thought it was about the ridiculousness of closing an ocean.

I don't think it matters much whose fault this shutdown is, what matters is getting it hashed out to reach a solution, and if there can't even be talking about it, the the leader of this country is not leading is he?

half the country is ok with a government that tells them what is good for them, the other half is not ok with it. WTF we are not sheep
WAKE Up America, you too spence.
The country is going down the crapper right before our eyes and we are letting it happen, time to do something about it as opposed to the alternative which may be being placed in holding pens like sheep

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #44
JamesJet

National Seashore

Well Sat night I fished Coast Guard beach in Eastham. No signs no closed gate no nothing (including no fish for me). I actually called local tackle shops before and there was no mention of any closing of access, prompted by the Cape Cod Times article about the Monomoy closure for clammers.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #45
BobT

Rangers !!!

Saw two of them driving down the service road Sunday !!!

Big Daddy-Bob Sr.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #46
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/bl...#axzz2gyvIc7ZD

and if there can't even be talking about it, the the leader of this country is not leading is he?

Actually, he is leading. It is leadership to stand up and say that this isn't the way it is going to work. One fragment of a political party does not get to use extortion to get their way. Let the cards fall where they may. He has met with Boehner. Boehner has no control over the crazy wing of his party. What the heck is there to negotiate? If the republicans can get a bill through that ends the health care law, so be it.They can't so they act like female canines. Boehner needs to get some cojones and stand up to the wack job sect of his party. THat is the only solution.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #47
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Actually, he is leading. It is leadership to stand up and say that this isn't the way it is going to work. One fragment of a political party does not get to use extortion to get their way. Let the cards fall where they may. He has met with Boehner. Boehner has no control over the crazy wing of his party. What the heck is there to negotiate? If the republicans can get a bill through that ends the health care law, so be it.They can't so they act like female canines. Boehner needs to get some cojones and stand up to the wack job sect of his party. THat is the only solution.
Laughable ! Thanks for the chuckle . However it is sad that there are so many that think like this but there are more that disagree with you . Did you forget 2010?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #48
Ian
Idiot

I love the title of that article Spence: "Did Obama shut down the ocean as part of the shutdown?"

I still can't believe they can enforce this kind of shutdown? In Florida is the ocean considered national park-ish with regular federal presence patrolling? I guess I could see it then...

This also kinda smells like an attempt to blow something out of proportion.. oh wait.. I found this in Spence's link:

"Effective at 6 p.m. on Oct. 1, 2013, both Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Parks will be closed. While our law enforcement rangers will remain on duty, all other administrative activities and visitor services will be discontinued until the shutdown has been lifted. If you have a trip planned for Oct. 1, you must conclude your business within the park by 6 p.m. After today, you may not offer any services within the park's boundaries until further notice. We regret the burden that this will place on your livelihood. We will notify you when the park is reopened."

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #49
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Laughable ! Thanks for the chuckle . However it is sad that there are so many that think like this but there are more that disagree with you . Did you forget 2010?
ok. from now on the dems won't allow funding without $10 an hour minimum wage,35 mpg cafe stsndards, ban on coal plants, ban on semiauto weapons. you may find my post funny. i find tea baggers scary as crap for our future.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #50
Nebe

Who can survive on $10 an hour anyway? I couldn't.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #51
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Who can survive on $10 an hour anyway? I couldn't.
I did, and it's not that fun. So I'm confused, is ALL activity on that area of ocean closed to boaters and swimmers? Or is it closed to commercial jobs? I wasn't sure. Because to me, there would be no way to keep regular people off the water, but maybe those services tied into the government, I could see. I'm not in agreement with any of this btw, just curious.

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
Old 10-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #52
spence

Quote:
"Effective at 6 p.m. on Oct. 1, 2013, both Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Parks will be closed. While our law enforcement rangers will remain on duty, all other administrative activities and visitor services will be discontinued until the shutdown has been lifted. If you have a trip planned for Oct. 1, you must conclude your business within the park by 6 p.m. After today, you may not offer any services within the park's boundaries until further notice. We regret the burden that this will place on your livelihood. We will notify you when the park is reopened."
I think the nut is the ocean is open but the park is closed. Remember the context for the link was the blogging about the story.

-spence
Old 10-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #53
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Did you forget 2010?
Did you forget 2012?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #54
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
I still can't believe they can enforce this kind of shutdown? In Florida is the ocean considered national park-ish with regular federal presence patrolling? I guess I could see it then...
The areas in question, yes. Poaching is a huge issue. More than with striped bass up here.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 10-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #55
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Did you forget 2012?
I hope to someday
Old 10-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #56
buckman

Quote:
ok. from now on the dems won't allow funding without $10 an hour minimum wage,35 mpg cafe stsndards, ban on coal plants, ban on semiauto weapons. you may find my post funny. i find tea baggers scary as crap for our future.
You don't even know what the tea party stands for . Most, if they were honest , would admit they share many of the same values.
Your scared of gay people? I find your wording offensive
Old 10-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #57
JFigliuolo

Quote:

I really like tea bagging.... oh ... wait... sorry wrong thread

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
Old 10-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #58
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
Collect the trash when the workers get back, respond to incidents with the security guards that are already there keeping everyone out, no one needs to preserve "open air" in the park, people will understand if the grass is not mowed. Again we all pay property taxes on these open air parks - they belong to us to use anytime.
DZ
Bingo. When I looked at my paystub last Friday, I saw the same federal income tax deduction that I saw previously. They're not taking any less money.

Spence has a point (God forgive me!) in that some parks, which require close supervision, have to be shut down. When I was at Katmai Nat'l Park in Alaska, we were bear viewing, and the rangers were needed to make sure no one got too close to the bears. I can see why that place would have to be shut down.

But in other situations, the government is allocating more resources to keeping people out of the parks, than it would spend if the parks were open normally. And in the case of the Grand Canyon, the state of Arizona offered to pick up the federal tab to keep the park open during the shutdown. The feds said no thanks.

The only conceivable reason? Obama wants to make this as painful as possible, to generate anger against the GOP. How's that for a guy who claimed to be a post-partisan President.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #59
Jim in CT

Quote:
. i find tea baggers scary as crap for our future.
I can just about guarantee that what you find offensive is not what the Tea Party is actually saying...but rather, what the folks at the lefty TV station you watch, claim that the Tea Party is saying.

Fiscal responsibility (take what's fair, use it to help as many as possible)
Strong national defense
limited federal government
protection of guaranteed liberties
power of the free market
sanctity of all human life
charity/sacrifice for our neighbors in need

Yeah, that's a repugnant, radical agenda all right...
Old 10-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #60
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Wow, how did I miss this for so long......I Cast Ye Off to the the Pit of Despair

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."