Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 10-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
jklett
Primate

Question Hook question

I was wondering why everyone uses siwash hooks for single tail hooks as opposed to say an O'Shaughnessy? I've used both types on the same plug(at different times) and haven't noticed any difference performance wise. Is there something I'm missing or is it just because that's what everybody else uses? Maybe because the only single hooks I've seen with an open eye are siwashes? I'm wondering what everyone's take on this is.
jklett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:41 AM   #2
Rockfish9

I personaly started using them after seeing the hookup sucess ratio on my salmon lures like stingers and NK's, in the early 80's I went through a period of the "dropsies" with fish(bass) on plugs trolled on wire,I switches ALL my hooks, belly and tail to siwash... it helped,after a little extra tuning and tinkering of each plug, I missed a few fish, but once I hooked up, the fish were landed, if I'd known then, what I know now, I'd have just swiched the front hook....

So to answer your question, I use them because for me.. they work.
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Siwash hooks are a recent trend, lots of commerical Dannys used to come with a short shank Oshaugnessy. Unless you are targeting bluefish (or have only one belly hook) I find tail hooks more trouble than they are worth.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:16 PM   #4
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
I personaly started using them after seeing the hookup sucess ratio on my salmon lures like stingers and NK's, in the early 80's I went through a period of the "dropsies" with fish(bass) on plugs trolled on wire,I switches ALL my hooks, belly and tail to siwash... it helped,after a little extra tuning and tinkering of each plug, I missed a few fish, but once I hooked up, the fish were landed, if I'd known then, what I know now, I'd have just swiched the front hook....

So to answer your question, I use them because for me.. they work.
Interesting post, Roc. I've been considering trying the same thing for the same reason lately. You still fishing them that way?
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #5
Jigman

I usually use a treble on the tail or, if I have two belly hooks, just a teaser. No bluefish here.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

swimmer been liking 2 belly hooks and just a tied tail .. Those siwash really do some deep damage, gaffing the belly of your catch ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I like 1 belly treble on my swimmers and a tail treble. Fish 99% of the time take the belly hook! Pencils same way!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:02 PM   #8
luds
Night Stalker

I would go with the short shank o'shaughnessy if i could get a decent one with an open eye.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:35 AM   #9
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Interesting post, Roc. I've been considering trying the same thing for the same reason lately. You still fishing them that way?
Not all of them, but I always keep a few handy rigged with singles..Less the tail hook..

I've eliminated my tail hooks on alot of my plugs, I dont care about bluefish and we all know which one will pin the bass...It's bad enough what that mini gaff can do to a fish, I dont want that sucker in my fore arm..... I've been there before!

I've found that the ones I intend to rig with singles benifit from a little added weight in the fusilage, seems to counteract the lack of rudder effect of the treble...

I know the old Creek chub Tarpon rigged pikies had singles, but I've never seen one in person, I'm ssure there was a method to their madness.
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
jklett
Primate

I think a lot of folks are mis-interpreting my question. I'm not asking about weather or not to use a siwash on a tail hook, I'm more curious as to if it's a better hook than other styles of single hooks on the plugs that would use one. There has to be a good reason why most plugs that do have a single tail hook use siwashes but I don't know the reason and I wanted to know what everybody's thoughts were.

Maybe a better question would be is a siwash a better hook than other single hooks? Does it track truer, or hold fish better, or what?
jklett is offline   Reply With Quote