Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Muzik

Muzik Muzik Forums - by popular request...

Old 01-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Just One/Beatle Songs

OK......you are stranded on a desert island with a working Ipod with a "forever" battery but there is only 1 Beatle song in the Ipod! Not 2, not 5......just 1 Beatle song! What Beatle song would you want it to be?? Pick your 1 all time favorite Beatle song!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I struggle with this one.....so many great, great songs that evoke such great memories from days so long gone by now. I have narrowed the field to 2 songs on what I think is the Beatles greatest album of all....."Let It Be". The song I would want on my desert island Ipod is........"Let It Be".

Old 01-23-2009, 12:21 AM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

the nite before

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:11 AM   #4
redcrbbr
here fishy fishy

Send a message via ICQ to redcrbbr Send a message via AIM to redcrbbr Send a message via Yahoo to redcrbbr
this one would do.

redcrbbr
of all the things i've lost...i miss my mind the most!!

redcrbbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:42 AM   #5
Raven

Rocky Racoon....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Not one of their most popular but I Love this tune....And with Clapton on Guitar how can you go wrong

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
sokinwet

I'm gonna cheat here and pick the medley from the White album....it's got everything that made the Beatles great..classic harmonies, sweet subdued guitar work by Harrison...perfect.
I saw the Beatles at Suffolk Downs and they were a high energy R&R/R&B band; what they morphed into over their reign was quite remarkable.

Last edited by sokinwet; 01-23-2009 at 09:13 AM..
sokinwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

it dont get much better than this
talk about ahead of their time

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
fishsmith
DDG-51

tough call, so much good music, but if it can only be one, it's "a day in the life"
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
mosholu
Mosholu

And Your Bird Can Sing - it has a great guitar line, cool vocals and lyrics - a good summary of everything they were great at.
mosholu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
ThomCat

It's just an overwelming task. I've been a religious fan all my life. In fact I wrote this piece for a newspaper right after George passed on
The Beatles
By
Thom Pelletier
The anticipation mounted as the torturous drivel that precluded their introduction persisted. I was transfixed to the television watching as Ed Sullivan droned on. I remember alternately sitting then standing while waiting anxiously to see in action for the first time, what was billed as the new order in music. Though the band was barely heard of only a couple of months previous, the electricity surrounding the event was irrefutable. It was my twelfth birthday, February 9, 1964. And even my being at that chaotic stage in a wanabe-a-teen-ager’s life where the attention span would be taxed to realize that my own hair was ablaze, I was somehow aware that I was witnessing history. Inexplicably, still today, closing in too quickly on 40 years later, there is probably no image more frozen in time for me.
Even as the boys launched into the unmistakable first verse of “All My Lovin’”, I knew that I had drawn from the virtues of the Vitalas trough for the last time. It was clear to me that slicked back hair and surfing tunes were about to be permanently preempted.
The country, still trying to sort out the emotions invoked by the fateful assassination of a president, was desperately aching for a buoyant diversion. This quartet would, in an emphatic way, become that diversion. That’s not to say that they healed the wounds, but they surely softened the grief.
The following months would introduce us to a perpetuation of acts like the high energy Dave Clark Five and the Searchers. We would be exposed to the edgy intensity of bands like the Kinks. We’d also become aquatinted with the mellow and harmonic offerings of Peter and Gordon, Chad and Jeremy and the Zombies. There was also another band that somehow managed to prolong its fifteen minutes of fame a bit longer; the Rolling Stones.
But it was the Beatles, in their uniformed attire and non-threatening mop-top hairstyles that set the tone. The Stones, to some perceived as the anti-Beatles, projected and embodied a “bad boy” image and appearance that’s appeal to an element of society was and still is somehow romantic. The Beatles’ comparatively sanitized look belied the fact that they, too, had been around the block a time or two. Those early 60’s excursions into the bowels of the Hamburg music scene at legendary clubs like the Cavern had to inevitably engender a maturation and attitude within them.
The major difference between the Beatles and the Stones was that a man who obviously had a strategic plan was managing the Beatles. The passing of that manager, Brian Epstein, though essentially in their formative years as stars, seemed to take the choke chain off the band. It was no longer imperative to maintain a preconceived decorum in accouterments. Experimentation musically, as well as with other mind-expanding venues, flourished. They flexed their musical prowess in refusing to sustain or be constricted by the three-minute hit record formula unless it suited their purpose.
The dynamics and media mechanisms, or rather the evolution in them, will likely prohibit a phenomenon like the Fab Four from ever transpiring again. While the light years in advancements in communication technology have succeeded in reducing the world’s magnitude, in so doing, they have also deprived it of the adulation that the innocence, mystique and hysteria of Beatlemania spawned.
And now we are left with but two.
Paul McCartney has since gone on to become royalty both literally and figuratively within the realm of music. His talent on so many levels is peerless. He is celebrated for having written some of the most touching and beautiful love songs of all time. He became one of the richest and most successful musicians in history. He lived the picture perfect love story life until being tragically reminded with the loss of his Lovely Linda, that there are some things that money just can’t buy. In ’64, that night on Ed Sullivan, we only knew Paul as the cute one on the left who sang a lot and played that four stringed guitar pointing the wrong way.
And, of course, there’s Ringo. He endures. He’s like the melding of a Vaudevillian player and the Energizer Bunny. He tours with various artists still. He knew full well and was apparently comfortable with his station within the band. When people referred to them as three extraordinary musicians and the luckiest guy in the world, Ringo knew and seemed to gracefully accept which one he was. Although he proved to be a talented enough musician in his own right, the lofty homage admonished upon his bandmates set a bar difficult to parallel. He made up for it with a sense of humor and the ability to laugh at himself. In ’64 he was the guy with the big grin and the big nose, wearing a half dozen rings and sitting behind the drum kit.
John Lennon was pilfered from us at a brutally early stage of both his and our lives. At that time he had recently been blessed with a new son. He was determined not to make the same mistakes that had haunted him in his relationship with his first, so he had dropped out to become a househusband. He was just emerging from his self-imposed sabbatical, with a happy and content enthusiasm to his new music, when he was struck down. John was the one on the right with the message superimposed beneath his name declaring, “Sorry girls, he’s married”. At the time we were clueless as to what a political lightning rod he would become. We were oblivious as we watched him sing and strum while exercising an up and down motion as though he was riding a horse.
And now George Harrison too, is gone, though except for sporadic forays into the recording studio and occasional sightings, he has been publicly gone for quite some time. While always living in the eclipse of the larger than life Lennon and McCartney, his ably crafted musicology reflected through many of his compositions, a deeper thoughtful spirituality. Yet George never seemed to be nearly as driven or consumed by it as John and Paul. That night on Sullivan’s stage he was simply the one with the sheepish grin in the middle that seemed just a bit thunderstruck by the wild adoration being festooned upon them.
I had no idea as I watched in wonder and awe at these four Liverpoolian lads on The Ed Sullivan Show back on my twelfth birthday, February 9, 1964; that the tunes they conceived and presented would become the musical backdrop to the rest of my life.
By my eighteenth birthday they were no more. The pressures of their popularity and a no longer repressible need to cultivate individuality had ultimately become their undoing. Still today, their music summons a comfort zone kindred to a hot bowl of Mom’s homemade soup on a wintry night or a well-worn pair of jeans. As I listened then and I listen now, the lyrics to their songs continue to relate to and characterize many of the defining points of my own personal long and winding road.

Catch'em up,
ThomCat
ThomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Tom.....surprisingly to many, George was my favorite of the Fab Four! His songwriting took a back seat to nobody and his guitar playing was under rated! Great, great songs all of his!

Old 01-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

My wife is a Beatles fan to the 10th power, at least she was anyway. Not much time for music anymore. She has just about every album they ever made and tons of 45's too. She saw beatlemania like 30 times when she was younger. She has got a gold bound, leather clad, limited edition, only 2000 copies # 910, signed by George H. , autobiography, I Me Mine. like 1980 I think. I can't imagine what it is worth nowadays. Never been opened more than 5 times probably.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #14
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I, Me, Mine...one of the best auto's I have ever read! It was about 1980!

Old 01-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #15
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #16
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

That is tops on my list too Mike! The Long and Winding Road also!

Old 01-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #17
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

My 2 favirote Beatle Albums (before mind altering) Revolver and Rubber Soul ... every song on those 2 albums is a hit .. Mike P's song "In My Life " is off Rubber Soul ... This song would probably be fitting on a desserted Island...

Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #18
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

I'd probably get depressed with Nowhere man ... so I guess Good Day Sunshine .. off Revolver ..

You want to talk beatles my 21 yr. old has every album of the Beatles ,,,Lennon ,,Mc Carthy,, Harrison .. Movies ,, he's a beatles freak ..
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #19
eskimo

I missed this one, nothing wrong with being a little late.
I still listen to the beatles all the time, but more so just John Lennon's solo stuff. Favorite would have to be 'mother'

if it HAD to be just the beatles I would say Oh Darling. Not my favorite but I couldn't see myself ever getting sick of it.

Last edited by eskimo; 03-04-2009 at 10:18 AM..

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote