Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
JohnnyD

Tuna Bags

I'm looking to get a tuna bag for my father in law for Christmas. Trying to stay in the $125-150 range. I don't think he needs a bag bigger than 60" long, anything bigger than about 250# and they'd have to cleat it off the side and limp home.

I tried to search but couldn't find any details so I apologize in advance if this has already been covered.

Thanks in advance for any help.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
ecduzitgood
time to go

I would think if the fish will remain in the water then a bag without ice may actually insulate the fish keeping it's temperature higher than just allowing the water to help cool it, Kind of like a westsuit, I may be wrong but sheilding it from the sun using a large light colored towel (water will keep changing) might be enough.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
I would think if the fish will remain in the water then a bag without ice may actually insulate the fish keeping it's temperature higher than just allowing the water to help cool it, Kind of like a westsuit, I may be wrong but sheilding it from the sun using a large light colored towel (water will keep changing) might be enough.
The bags he is asking about are for fish on deck. Larger fish need to be cooled so that they don’t cook themselves from the inside out after a fight. Similar to going for a long run and coming home and sitting on the couch. You continue to sweat or heat up (same as Tuna). Best to bleed and ice right away. The bag keeps fish ice cold so you can stay out all day and fish more. Like a fish box.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

There's a guy on CL that sells them in the summer. Ronnie has one, maybe he will know the guys name.
It's about 80" I believe.
Good size for the ones you can still pick up, but won't fit in a cooler even with their heads off.
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
O.D. Mike

Johnny make sure you get a two way zipper, you know Makai is going to stuff you in there for fun.....

"Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice." >> Yoda
O.D. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
The bags he is asking about are for fish on deck. Larger fish need to be cooled so that they don’t cook themselves from the inside out after a fight. Similar to going for a long run and coming home and sitting on the couch. You continue to sweat or heat up (same as Tuna). Best to bleed and ice right away. The bag keeps fish ice cold so you can stay out all day and fish more. Like a fish box.
Your correct, I am familiar with the bags but he had stated the fish would not be in the boat but over the side in the water. If it was going to be put on the deck then I would also reommend the insulated fish bag used with ice. Over the side in the water I don't think it would help the internal temperature to drop once again acting like a wetsuit wherethe water between the fish and the insulated bag would indeed reduce the rate the heat would dissapate. I have many years of Tuna fishing and know about cooked fish, one of the reasons I feell the gear used should be capable of landing the fish ASAP.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
ecduzitgood
time to go

Opps my bad, I see he was saying if the fish was over 250# it would remain over the side in the water. I'm on oxy's right now and they warned me not to make important decisions for 24 hours now I see why.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.D. Mike View Post
Johnny make sure you get a two way zipper, you know Makai is going to stuff you in there for fun.....
He knows better. Someone has to do all the dirty work while the old timers drink they celebratory beers.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
Opps my bad, I see he was saying if the fish was over 250# it would remain over the side in the water. I'm on oxy's right now and they warned me not to make important decisions for 24 hours now I see why.
Ha, Ha, Ha. Hope you feel better!

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
ecduzitgood
time to go

Pretty amazing stuff, I think I will refrain from posting for a while because I am out there even further than usual. Almost to the point of saying I am wrong

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 12-13-2012 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: Changed the smiley
Old 12-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
Mr. Sandman

I have 4 fish bags.

One real big one about 40x 90...I only use this a few times a year, you can put like 8 yellowfins in this sucker with a load of ice. or one monster. I don't recall the maker but fishermansoutfitter has them I think. Giant tuna bag. (its big but folds up nicely) and it has a drainplug.

One smaller one that is about 24" x 72' I use this the most...it fits in my in deck hatch and holds ice for days. It will hold most school fish no problem. I have use this now for 3 seasons and they are just starting to show a little wear. This one is made by boone.this has a drainplug as well.

And I have two smaller sea-angler carry fish bags (one med one large)...these are great when you have to transport fish to a weigh station. But I don't keep them onboard. no drains and the construction is not as heavy as the others. But clean when you want to carry a few fish around.

Fish bags are great. I've have been on other peoples boats and have brought my "body bag" and everyone who has used them has gone out and bought their own afterwards.

They clean up nice, and store more easily then a cooler. also they are more flexible. You can open some of them up completely like a blanket. They are highly insulated and hold ice very well. Your catch will be well chilled. You can pack the cavity and put the intire fish in the zip it up and leave it in the sun. The fish will be really chilled.

The downside...
When you have a big fish, or a several fish in a big bag with ice, it is next to impossible to pick up the entire bag and put it in your truck like a big yeti. Also I don't think they are as rugged as a yeti, you can rip one with a knife or something sharp.

But they work very well. My favorite is the large boone bag, it is not the best in terms of quality or the largest size but it is a great size for my boat. Great to have on the boat. If you are only after giants, get the real big bag

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 12-14-2012 at 09:42 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
MakoMike

Canyon gear makes them, they can probably tell you where to buy them. I have the biggest one with the removable liner, works great!

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
JohnnyD

I really appreciate the recommendations gents. Doing some more digging around, I was looking at possibly the 65"x20" Offshore Fish Bags.

There's also the Boone Monster Fish Bags that come in 30"x65" that I was considering.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #14
Mr. Sandman

Those sea angler bags are not the same as the much heavier canyon/offshore/boone bags. I use those to carry fish to a weigh station or to transport fish home. Would work for taking a bass home, etc. A big tuna will not fit in there and the material is much thinner and the insulation is not nearly as good. If you plan to use the offshore for tuna get the heavier duty models. (see offshore tackle store brands)
Old 12-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
JohnnyD

Sandman, what do you think about the 20"x65" Boone Monster Fish Bags?

My concern was that 20" wasn't going to be big enough.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
Mr. Sandman

I was mistanken...That boone bag is my carry bag ...I just went to the fish attic and looked what I use the most is the C&H bag:

C&H LTB Fish Bag Large With Drain 30" x 65"

Again, they all have their place but the above bag I use the most.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #17
JohnnyD

awesome, thanks!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #18
sokinwet

If you're on a budget try a water heater insulating blanket and a little duct tape.
sokinwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #19
saltyric

I have the C&H large bag, work great!

Fish Rule!
saltyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #20
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Johnny
Call Frank like I suggested in the pm.
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #21
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Johnny
Call Frank like I suggested in the pm.
He's on my list. Been a whirlwind few days.

Thanks again RR!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #22
chathamblue30
chathamblue30

Here is a good price for one C&H Large Fish Bag
Have the same one it's nice as u can let the tuna tail hang out of the end and zipper around it as well.
chathamblue30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #23
fishonnelsons

This is the bag I was talking about in my PM - it's a bigger one, just in case you need it, or you can pack in a couple of small ones - considering girth and all. You can get it elsewhere for lower than Tackle Directs price, closer to the price range you were looking at.

Boone Double Tuna Bag | TackleDirect
fishonnelsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #24
JohnnyD

Thanks again Rich! I appreciate you checking.

Ronnie, I gave Frank a call but he only makes the 40"x80" bags for $200. Being Recs with a smaller boat, I think that's just going to be too big.

chathamblue30, thanks for the link. We were looking at that bag and it seems to be the best fit for a rec boat. Much longer than 60" and I doubt they'd be able to get the fish over the side.

Thanks again to everyone that took the time to make recommendations and help me out.

Merry Christmas to you all!
Old 12-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #25
Typhoon

$40 North Atlantic traders. Not fancy, gets the job done. A lot of the guys use water heater insulation too.

-Andrew
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #26
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I'm looking to get a tuna bag for my father in law for Christmas. Trying to stay in the $125-150 range. I don't think he needs a bag bigger than 60" long, anything bigger than about 250# and they'd have to cleat it off the side and limp home.

I tried to search but couldn't find any details so I apologize in advance if this has already been covered.

Thanks in advance for any help.
JohnnyD wants this bag for selfish reasons. He doesn't want to have to stop fishing because his father-in-law heads back to the dock after 1 keeper fish is put on board. I know how you think JD!

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #27
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
JohnnyD wants this bag for selfish reasons. He doesn't want to have to stop fishing because his father-in-law heads back to the dock after 1 keeper fish is put on board. I know how you think JD!
The old man has no regard for preserving the meat. Nose down in the bait well with block so of ice shoved down there is not ok.

But to your point...
Old 12-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #28
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Quote:
Originally Posted by chathamblue30 View Post
Here is a good price for one C&H Large Fish Bag
Have the same one it's nice as u can let the tuna tail hang out of the end and zipper around it as well.
I have the same one and has handled a ton of small, medium and a few giants just fine.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote