Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 06-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
Mr. Sandman

tuna permit website

Maybe it is me but I find this site awkward to get the info I need to get. I find myself reading several paragraphs over and over to make sure I understand the current regs and even then I am not sure I have all the info or that is it current. The info on this site is mixed. The regulations are buried in "news" releases, I would like to see a specific links that are more direct...something like this: (AN EXAMPLE not current regs.)

CURRENT SIZE AND RETENTION LIMIT LINK:

Recreation Limits:
1 fish between 27-54
1 fish between 54-73
0 fish 73+

Charter Boat Limits:
Rec day:
1 fish between 27-54
1 fish between 54-73
1 trophy fish 73+
Comm day:
3 fish 73+"

General (commercial) category:
3 Fish 73"+
0 fish < 73"

...any other category (harpoon, purse seine, etc)

Also I think it would be wise to outline specific required equipment required by the USCG on the site in an detailed form as well.

Maybe have a printable regulation page (and ID page) that can be taken on board...

Why is this so hard?
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Since I only follow the Rec/Angling as of 5/31/2011 update:

2011 Recreational Atlantic Tunas Retention Limits
The current recreational daily bluefin tuna (BFT) retention for limit for HMS Angling (private recreational) vessels one BFT (measuring 27 to less than 59 inches) per vessel per day/trip.

https://hmspermits.noaa.gov/News.asp#news231

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
MakoMike

They won't publish equipment requirements because that is determined by the Coast Guard, not NOAA. I agree the limits are tough to find, maybe its because they are changing them so often?

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
Typhoon

Equipment seems to be subjective to whoever is inspecting the vessel.

-Andrew
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
They won't publish equipment requirements because that is determined by the Coast Guard, not NOAA. I agree the limits are tough to find, maybe its because they are changing them so often?

yeah but.... both are federal agencies, you think this would be a coordinated effort. To me this is a bogus excuse.

The limits of the HMS lic go beyond bluefin...you have YF, BE, sharks and many other species. I just think it would make sense to have a dedicated link that is for CURRENT regulations, then a sub link for rec/comm and the type of lic you have and on that page a printable dated document that clearly lists ALL the HMS species and what the restrictions. If they change them...(as they do often) then they need to change that page and you should get an email telling you that the regs changed and embed a link to that new page. It is not that hard.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote