Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 07-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
ecduzitgood
time to go

It's new to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
So you've never taken your PA out in the ocean? I think you will be totally fine. I would invest in a VHF if I were you, don't worry about an ebirb and all that for now, but if saftey is really a concern, a VHF and compass is a smart idea. You can also get a waterproof case for your cell phone for very short money (like under $20).

Most are really smart about watching conditions and almost always go out in protected areas. If you get out there and are not comfortable, just turn around and go back in!

You are much less likley to fall out of a PA, but if you are really concerned, you could do what most of us do and wear dry gear. I use kokatat dry pants paired with a semi-try top. However, I don't wear that stuff now that water temps are higher.
I have only taken it to a local pond once and one of the turbo fins almost came completely off (I have a spare set I'll keep with me). I have no idea why it happened so it does give me concern. I guess it's all the years I spent boating that makes me want to ensure I am doing all I can to stay safe and if I need to be rescued make it easier for the people who are looking for me. I probably am getting a little overboard has far as being prepared but I realize how quick it can go bad and how bad it can get, and I have only myself to rely upon without the comfort of 3 or more feet of freeboard.

Has anyone ever tried to right a pro angler while in the water? I have righted sit in kayaks easily, the PA seems like it might be a challenge.
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
I have only taken it to a local pond once and one of the turbo fins almost came completely off (I have a spare set I'll keep with me). I have no idea why it happened so it does give me concern. I guess it's all the years I spent boating that makes me want to ensure I am doing all I can to stay safe and if I need to be rescued make it easier for the people who are looking for me. I probably am getting a little overboard has far as being prepared but I realize how quick it can go bad and how bad it can get, and I have only myself to rely upon without the comfort of 3 or more feet of freeboard.

Has anyone ever tried to right a pro angler while in the water? I have righted sit in kayaks easily, the PA seems like it might be a challenge.
Edzzzzzzo !!!!! God hates a coward .. Come out with us .. If you have a good life jacket and wear it ,there's nothing to fear . If you haven't taking your yak out in the ocean your really missing out .. Good to have numbers with you to get through the learning curve . We stay close to shore ,, out of the shipping lanes ,, are fare weather yakkers,, and falling out and getting back on top isn't a big deal .. Your a great guy (Troll) .. Would love to have you join us .

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Eddie you working tomorrow?? Sunday??

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Eddie you working tomorrow?? Sunday??
nope ... nope ....

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Come over to the "Yak Rat" side ecduzitgood!!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
ecduzitgood
time to go

I just put a lobster in the pot that was so tiny I considered saving it for bait from the yak, got them at market basket $4.99 new shell. I don't know how the guys catching them can make a living if the store only gets $4.99. This one seemed so borderline I took a picture so I could check with the lobster guys here.
Bait.jpg
Ok, I'm in where and what time do we launch? The weather looks great for it.
Thanks for voching for my character Eddie
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
BigBo

Ed. Put those new Turbo fins on. Don't save them for backups.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post

totally understand your wanting to be prepared, it's all about feeling safe out there. This kind of yakking is much more tame than an outing in a boat, most of the time you will be within swimming distance to shore. Give it a shot just to get a feel for it.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote