Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-08-2020, 12:44 AM   #1
detbuch

Herd immunity is not a strategy, it is a biological fact

Old 10-08-2020, 07:22 AM   #2
wdmso

Not sure what your point is. If the United States got its infections rates down with basic mask wearing and social distancing what they say makes sense

But you have an administration who refuse to lead by example, and are having their very own heard immunity party in the WH

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/art-20486808
Old 10-08-2020, 09:27 AM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Hey wait Mr. DeBarr said this administration did everything right and the economy is seeing a robust rebound, are those recent 840,000 filing for unemployment just not looking for jobs? Are the 25% of the restaurants that have failed in our state just poorly run? Are people just not listening to our fearless leader and flying the friendly skies without worrying about this virus that can be easily cured with the medication all Americans have access to? Come on if DJT in his crappy health can kick this it must be nothing, let’s go all in and rip those damn masks off, let’s MAGA!

Wink, wink!
Old 10-08-2020, 09:37 AM   #4
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Hey wait Mr. DeBarr said this administration did everything right and the economy is seeing a robust rebound, are those recent 840,000 filing for unemployment just not looking for jobs? Are the 25% of the restaurants that have failed in our state just poorly run? Are people just not listening to our fearless leader and flying the friendly skies without worrying about this virus that can be easily cured with the medication all Americans have access to? Come on if DJT in his crappy health can kick this it must be nothing, let’s go all in and rip those damn masks off, let’s MAGA!

Wink, wink!
Hey Mr. Stripper, there is no THE science. As from the start of this pandemic, there have been different, conflicting scientific views.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:55 AM   #5
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Hey Mr. Stripper, there is no THE science. As from the start of this pandemic, there have been different, conflicting scientific views.
Hey don’t bring your Friday night twisted life into a political forum, but hey if your into stuffing singles into male stripper g strings no judgement, I guess not much to do winter winter rolls in on you.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:34 AM   #6
Pete F.
Canceled

For every complex problem, there is a simple elegant and incorrect solution.
Congratulations on finding it
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
detbuch

Quote:
Hey don’t bring your Friday night twisted life into a political forum, but hey if your into stuffing singles into male stripper g strings no judgement, I guess not much to do winter winter rolls in on you.
Hey Mr. Stripper, thanks for telling me what happens on Friday night with g strings. I didn't know about that. Very interesting. I wish you well in these endeavors.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:55 AM   #8
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
More deep and vacuous thoughts from an amateur saying that actual scientists are incorrect.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:35 AM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

Some scientists are incorrect, haven’t you been listening to the Stable Genius?
He has a tweet for that
Old 10-08-2020, 12:26 PM   #10
RickBomba

Quote:
Hey Butchie,
Why don't you let me know how the Herd Immunity thing works out for you.

Crappie fishing must be slow out there, huh?

Quick question, what the hell do you fish for when crappie fishing is slow? Bluegills?

Just curious...

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
Old 10-08-2020, 12:29 PM   #11
RickBomba

Quote:
Conflicting views...ha!

In my opinion, you have two camps.
1. People who believe in science.
2. People who were so bad at science in High School, that they refer to every mysterious thing in life as "Deep State."

IMHO,
It would be like me calling all the amazing work by many of my cabinet maker friends as "Deep Shop."

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
Old 10-08-2020, 01:17 PM   #12
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBomba View Post
Conflicting views...ha!

In my opinion, you have two camps.
1. People who believe in science.
2. People who were so bad at science in High School, that they refer to every mysterious thing in life as "Deep State."

IMHO,
It would be like me calling all the amazing work by many of my cabinet maker friends as "Deep Shop."
The three scientists in the thread video believe in science.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #13
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBomba View Post
Hey Butchie,
Why don't you let me know how the Herd Immunity thing works out for you.

Crappie fishing must be slow out there, huh?

Quick question, what the hell do you fish for when crappie fishing is slow? Bluegills?

Just curious...
I don't have the training to know how it works. The three scientists in the thread video explains how it works. Just showing that the notion that there is only THE science is not true. Their are differing views. So when folks keep repeating the mantra that they follow THE science, or that someone else doesn't, which THE science are they talking about.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:31 PM   #14
detbuch

Oh, and it's not just the three scientists in the video, here's another six thousand:

https://www.newsweek.com/over-6000-s...damage-1537047
Old 10-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #15
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Here's what some other scientists had to say about the simplistic solution proposed in Great Barrington.

“So I appreciate and understand the concerns and the sentiment behind this declaration, and of course other diseases are important and need attention, but without these anti-COVID-19 ‘tools’, I cannot see how they will achieve this ‘Focused Protection’ for these vulnerable groups in any practical, reliable or safe way.”

“An effective response to the Covid pandemic requires multiple targeted interventions to reduce transmission, to develop better treatments and to protect vulnerable people. This declaration prioritises just one aspect of a sensible strategy – protecting the vulnerable – and suggests we can safely build up ‘herd immunity’ in the rest of the population. This is wishful thinking. It is not possible to fully identify vulnerable individuals, and it is not possible to fully isolate them. Furthermore, we know that immunity to coronaviruses wanes over time, and re-infection is possible – so lasting protection of vulnerable individuals by establishing ‘herd immunity’ is very unlikely to be achieved in the absence of a vaccine. Individual scientists may reasonably disagree about the relative merits of various interventions, but they must be honest about the feasibility of what they propose. This declaration is therefore not a helpful contribution to the debate.”

“The Barrington Declaration is based upon a false premise – that governments and the scientific community wish for extensive lockdowns to continue until a vaccine is available. Lockdowns are only ever used when transmission is high, and now that we have some knowledge about how best to handle new outbreaks, most national and subnational interventions are much ‘lighter’ than the full suppressions we have seen for example in the UK across the spring of 2020.

“Those behind the Barrington Declaration are advocates of herd immunity within a population. They state that “Those who are not vulnerable should immediately be allowed to resume life as normal”, with the idea being that somehow the vulnerable of society will be protected from ensuing transmission of a dangerous virus. It is a very bad idea. We saw that even with intensive lockdowns in place, there was a huge excess death toll, with the elderly bearing the brunt of that, and 20-30% of the UK population would be classed as vulnerable to a severe COVID-19 infection. Around 8% of the UK population has some level of immunity to this novel coronavirus, and that immunity will likely wane over time and be insufficient to prevent a second infection. A strategy for herd immunity would also promote further inequalities across society, for example across the Black, Asian and minority ethnic communities. The declaration also ignores the emerging burdens of ‘long COVID’. We know that many people, even younger populations who suffered from an initially mild illness, are suffering from longer-term consequences of a COVID-19 infection.

“Independent SAGE are among the many scientists who have eloquently pointed out1 the many reasons why these initiatives are ultimately harmful and misleading as to the scientific evidence base. There are countries who are managing the pandemic relatively well, including South Korea and New Zealand, and their strategies do not include simply letting the virus run wild whilst hoping that the asthmatic community and the elderly can find somewhere to hide for 12 months. They have a proactive approach to ‘test and trace’ to reduce the impact of new outbreaks, and good public health messaging from the government to their populations. Ultimately, the Barrington Declaration is based on principles that are dangerous to national and global public health.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-08-2020, 02:49 PM   #16
detbuch

As I said, there are conflicting views. For the record, I have no idea which is the "correct" view. Just pointing out that there's this unanimous THE science is not true. And accusing someone of not following THE science is arbitrary, and, in my opinion, is politically motivated.

And, BTW, I wear a mask and social distance in public places.

Last edited by detbuch; 10-08-2020 at 02:56 PM..
Old 10-08-2020, 03:37 PM   #17
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Hey Mr. Stripper, thanks for telling me what happens on Friday night with g strings. I didn't know about that. Very interesting. I wish you well in these endeavors.
I know your a crappie fisherman but clearly you need a refresher course, stripers make there living in our ledges and white water, strippers make their living on poles in dark rooms smelling of scented oil. That you typed that easily makes me wonder if there are stripper web sites your trolling to get your message out. So do you go with singles or are you a fiver kind of guy?
Old 10-08-2020, 04:03 PM   #18
detbuch

Quote:
I know your a crappie fisherman but clearly you need a refresher course, stripers make there living in our ledges and white water, strippers make their living on poles in dark rooms smelling of scented oil. That you typed that easily makes me wonder if there are stripper web sites your trolling to get your message out. So do you go with singles or are you a fiver kind of guy?
I'm not Mr. Stripper. You are.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:52 PM   #19
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
I'm not Mr. Stripper. You are.
The New England Journal of Medicine (where stripers live not strippers) never gets involved in politics, yet felt they needed to state this administration has turned a crisis into a tragedy. Herd Mentality should have been the focus of this post, this administration is full of lemmings following the worst president in our history off the cliff.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:08 PM   #20
scottw

Quote:

lemmings

you dutifully repeat whatever the leftist spin of the day is all day everyday
Old 10-08-2020, 05:43 PM   #21
scottw

Quote:

The New England Journal of Medicine never gets involved in politics, .
5 year old article

Aug 12, 2015

The New England Journal Of Medicine Fact-Checks The Republican Debate

"In an editorial, the journal's editors attack the stance held by most of the Republican hopefuls that Planned Parenthood should be defunded. A separate opinion piece argues that there is nothing wrong with fetal tissue research, which helped ignite a firestorm that has led for Republican calls to defund Planned Parenthood, instead taking the position that anyone who opposes the research is a hypocrite unless they forego medical care. A third opinion piece argues that the military's decision to fund gender re-assignment surgeries for troops, a decision attacked during the debate as a waste of money by former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, is legally mandated and such a small cost that it doesn't merit public discussion.

It's not news that the New England Journal tends to be left-leaning --"
Old 10-08-2020, 06:07 PM   #22
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Scott spin me a positive view of how life in America is better due to this administrations handling of Covid and please don’t fall back to Jims lame partial travel ban saved so many lives, I’m pretty sure that ship has sailed.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:26 PM   #23
scottw

Quote:
Scott spin me a positive view of how life in America is better due to this administrations handling of Covid and please don’t fall back to Jims lame partial travel ban saved so many lives, I’m pretty sure that ship has sailed.
you want me to monday morning quarterback like you?
Old 10-08-2020, 07:03 PM   #24
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you want me to monday morning quarterback like you?
Thought so nada.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:45 PM   #25
Pete F.
Canceled

Now tell us about what Tweety’s magic Remdesivr therapy was developed from......
Old 10-08-2020, 08:57 PM   #26
detbuch

Quote:
This is a confusing question. The Trump hating premise is that he did not act soon enough. But you want to disregard one of the important sooner things he did. If the accusation that things are not better because he didn't act soon enough, and the soon enough doesn't count because your "pretty sure" (again with the pretty sure self validation) that the soon stuff's "ship has sailed," then on what basis are we supposed to judge whether things are better or worse?
Old 10-09-2020, 02:34 AM   #27
scottw

Quote:

This is a confusing question. The Trump hating premise is ....
yes, it is the left's lunacy on display..."tell me why that POS, lying, racist white supremacist trump and his nazi followers are not the scourge of the planet!!!!!"

and these people are demanding trump get a mental fitness test????
Old 10-09-2020, 05:59 AM   #28
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Thumbs up

Quote:
This is a confusing question. The Trump hating premise is that he did not act soon enough. But you want to disregard one of the important sooner things he did. If the accusation that things are not better because he didn't act soon enough, and the soon enough doesn't count because your "pretty sure" (again with the pretty sure self validation) that the soon stuff's "ship has sailed," then on what basis are we supposed to judge whether things are better or worse?
Since this is a fishing site it would be like stepping into a choppy surf with your brand new waders, but forgetting your belt to keep water out, but you think it’s safe enough. The waders keep the water out initially, but enough eventually splash in to the point it’s getting hard to move off the bar you fish only until the incoming tide gets to a certain point. Obituary says Scott died doing what he loved and DeBarr was tasked to say a few words as they heard he was a wordsmith extraordinaire.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:29 AM   #29
scottw

Quote:
Since this is a fishing site it would be like stepping into a choppy surf with your brand new waders, but forgetting your belt to keep water out, but you think it’s safe enough. The waders keep the water out initially, but enough eventually splash in to the point it’s getting hard to move off the bar you fish only until the incoming tide gets to a certain point. Obituary says Scott died doing what he loved and DeBarr was tasked to say a few words as they heard he was a wordsmith extraordinaire.
is this the medication talking???
Old 10-09-2020, 07:48 AM   #30
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
is this the medication talking???
Only for Trump; he was a rambling loon yesterday both morning and evening interviews....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"