Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 01-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Anyone use Festool?

I have a domino cutter, but am looking into a jigsaw and circular saw, if the job will support the cost. But the price??? Wow. So I ask any who have them, are they worth the money? The vacuum extractor is the key on this project.... Thanks

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I started out with the rotex 6" RO sander back when they only advertised in magazines as they were looking for distributors, i could tell they were high quality and didn't mind the $512 cost. Then I have added the vaccum, then the jigsaw but I got the top handle, wish I got the barrel, I also got the medium router, recently got the track saw circular saw, it is pissa. All are worth the cost. I look at that domino and can't see 800 bucks for that but I sure would use it if I had it. The cordless drills also seem way overpriced.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Bruce, which vac do you have? I have to step up for the vac and track saw....

The domino cutter would be well worth it for you..... if you haven't already bought it since this thread is three years old.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
ed morini

Festool

I havce the 55 and 75 tracksaw, barrel grip jig saw and rotec sander. In the beginning I was very nresistant to the brand because of the price points, but now I love them and I also use the systainers. mThe domino I still cannnot justify along with the Kapeck miter saw. Just wish they were around 45 years ago when I was starting out. I plan to have then buried with me.

Ed
ed morini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I just spoke to Slip (he was in truck driving to Patriots game in white out conditions...) He did get the Domino, Ed, and loves it, as I do. If I were to get one, Ed, would you recommend the 55 Track saw, or the 75?
Old 11-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
Guppy
User

Track saw is hard to beat,, by the time you set up out feeds for 8ft sheets on a table saw, you'd be done
I don't swing a hammer anymore but 2 sons do and swear by those tools,,, the ones they can afford LOL
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
iamskippy

Ross there is a guy near me in Coventry selling a festool vac he has other stuff hes selling too i can check it out for you if you want.
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
ed morini

festool

I originally got the 55 and was really satisfied with its performance... it does alot of work for me. What I found was the depth of cut was lacking, particularly on custom exterior doors I have made, being able to cut to 2 1/4" in depth is a plus. In addition I use the 75 for straight line rips on stock prior to sizing and the extra horses help also. I don't see alot of 75's around and I guess you have to go with your budget.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #9
Rmarsh

I have the Festool 55 tracksaw, thought it was a lot of money at the time, now wish I hadn't waited so long to buy one. Precision cuts and saves lots of time.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #10
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Well this is similar to a VS thread, except for circular saws.... Love my VS, and I am going to love this saw, as soon as I can scrape the coin together, which I hope will be in the next month. Test drove a TS 55 REQ yesterday and was sold...
Old 12-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #11
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Might move up the purchase date so I can deduct it on income tax. ( other people buy cars for tax break...me, I buy a saw....
Old 12-22-2014, 06:44 AM   #12
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Well this is similar to a VS thread, except for circular saws.... Love my VS, and I am going to love this saw, as soon as I can scrape the coin together, which I hope will be in the next month. Test drove a TS 55 REQ yesterday and was sold...
Good analogy Ross.....Love my VS! Nothing better than having the right tool for the job.
One great thing about this saw is the way the track protects the material from abrasion from the base of the saw, and the chip free cuts it produces on prefinished materials, also the cutting depth adjustment on the TS 55 is amazingly simple.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #13
blondterror

I bought the Vac and the track saw about a year ago and love them... I use the vac with my bosch sander (very similar to the Rotex) as well. I have my eye on the medium router for next year but have been reasonably happy with my Bosch and PC routers except for dust collection

The track saw is ideal for long crosscuts of tabletop ends

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #14
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Picked up a TS 55 REQ and the CT 26 vac today. Went to Woodcraft in Dover, NH. Could have easily spent ten or twenty grand in that store...... The cuts are stoopid easy, exact, true and smooth. Now for how and where to store in my truck, which needs an interior overhaul and reorg.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #15
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Follow up a year later... Track saw is awesome. I look forward to pulling it out, because it is going to give me an amazing smooth and accurate cut quickly and easily. I have added a Rotec sander as well and it is great for finish work. You have to size them according to weight. I got the 150, I think. They have introduced a new line of sanders recently. The vacuum system makes it possible to do more cutting and sanding inside a client's home. I know I have sold a number of their tools by simply letting other contractors test drive my saw. Wish they had a pro form program, or sponsorship,,,, No deals on price. But worth it IMO.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:43 AM   #16
Slipknot
Super Moderator

you can save a few bucks by referring friends, I saw something about it last year, but it comes of your next purchase

I am probably going to buy the new brushless sander soon to go along with my 2 RO 150's I have now. They are lightweight even the 6"
but $485 is steep

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #17
ed morini

festool

Glad you are enjoying the track saw. I have made several cutting jigs for mine and it has proved a valuable addition to the shop. I am currently using a Thein separator for dust removal but have been eyeing the festool vacumn but the $800 is a real stretch. I did add the dts 400 sander and am pleased with it. I wish i new they were comming out with the brushless before I bought it.

Ed