Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 10-11-2019, 05:37 AM   #1
Rmarsh

More kitchens

Still at it.....getting the installs done quickly.....granite templates get scheduled before I even start.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:55 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:17 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

looks good
I like the 3rd one

Do you spend a lot of time unboxing all the stuff from all the cardboard?

I just did a stock kitchen for the first time in over 3 years and forgot how long it takes to un-carton all the stuff and deal with a huge pile of cardboard.
And my luck I get 2 cabinets they made a mistake on, one they extended the left style instead of the right , a wall cabinet had 2 right sides when they assembled it I guess on a Friday so the adjustable shelf holes don't line up, not even close.

Glad you are busy too

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:34 AM   #3
Rmarsh

You're right about the cardboard Slip...it's a huge PIA.
There has been a few times lately that my young apprentice has unboxed all the cabinets and dealt with all that packaging...it's like getting a head start.

On the subject of job site debris......it amazes and disgusts me how much junk we generate building these houses. Constantly filling 30 yard dumpsters with it all....along with contributions of mattresses and TV's from all the neighbors.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 10-12-2019 at 04:53 AM..
Old 10-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #4
trevier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
You're right about the cardboard Slip...it's a huge PIA.
There has been a few times lately that my young apprentice has unboxed all the cabinets and dealt with all that packaging...it's like getting a head start.

On the subject of job site debris......it amazes and disgusts me how much junk we generate building these houses. Constantly filling 30 yard dumpsters with it all....along with contributions of mattresses and TV's from all the neighbors.
When my uncle built his own house in cumberland ri he brought one of his dumpsters from his company to his house that was strictly for cardboard only. He owns a recycling company in mansfield mass. He was amazed at the amount of cardboard that came out of his house.
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:09 AM   #5
Rmarsh

Lamp posts

We have a 40 lot subdivision.....which has just about sold out in two years thanks to the thriving economy. Boss decided every home will have one of these pvc lamp posts in the front yard alongside the driveway. I've been building them in my shop...five at a time. After completing about 35 I think I have the build process down. Really enjoy working alone in my shop...crank up my playlist and the heater and I'm good.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:00 AM..
Old 11-14-2019, 07:38 AM   #6
Sea Dangles

Nice work Bob
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #7
Rmarsh

Starts with 1x6 with butted corners...then a 1x5 ripped in half at 45 for the outside corner stiles. We use a PT 4x4 with a PT 1x4 1/2 slapped on the side..... it leaves a hollow chase to pull the wire. The top caps slides over the top but stays loose until final install.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:03 PM   #8
Guppy
User

Almost makes me wonna go back to work.... not :-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:57 AM   #9
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Almost makes me wonna go back to work.... not :-)
Ray...I'm getting close to my full retirement age. But there will be a huge void in my life if I were to not get up every morning and go to work. Forty six years and counting! Also retirement would be more enjoyable if I had the financial wherewithal to do whatever I please, but I'm concerned that wont be the case. I do dream about building another, larger boat in the future...I'm thinking 21'er this time....have to wait and see.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:05 AM   #10
Rmarsh

Finished more lampposts, and a stairway, and kitchen for the modle house.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:58 AM   #11
Rmarsh

Built some quick and easy utility shelving for the surveyor/engineer renting one of our office units.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #12
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Good stuff as usual Bob!!

One of the issues I've always found with cutting PVC is that the cut ends promote mold growth so much quicker, specifically if you don't paint them. That and the contract/expand issue that's hard to chase... great stuff, but it does have its issues.
I've found that "Spray & Forget" works really well with cleaning and protecting PVC. I wasn't a believer at first, as when I first applied it, it took a couple of months before I saw any results, but then it lasted a couple of years before I had to re-apply. An annual application will go a long way... almost eliminates the cleaning part as it works more of a preventative agent.

Keep up the good work! or rather GREAT work... LOL

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:12 AM   #13
Rmarsh

Thanks Gilly...The pictures I put up are just a small sample...most jobs never got photographed. My hands, wrists and thumbs are just about ruined from overuse....hurts to pick up a potato chip....couple more years and I'm done.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #14
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Vendor

Bob,

Curious if you deal with the Kitchen Department at Mozzone at all?

Last edited by bloocrab; 12-02-2019 at 12:56 PM..

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #15
Rmarsh

We buy a ton of lumber from them but not the kitchens.
I can pm you the name of the guy we have been buying from.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-01-2020, 05:23 AM   #16
Rmarsh

Got a call asking me to make protective plexiglass shields for the cashiers at all our gas stations. Using PVC leftover from the lampposts for the frames. Doing five at a time.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:28 AM   #17
Slipknot
Super Moderator

NICE!
Old 04-01-2020, 06:46 PM   #18
Hookedagain

If this keeps up the way it is....you could have a lucretive business there.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:11 AM   #19
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedagain View Post
If this keeps up the way it is....you could have a lucretive business there.

I just placed a very large order for enough pvc trim to keep me busy for the next three weeks. The five plexiglass screens I made only took four hours to build. If more screens are needed I'll build them.
My motivation right now is to just keep busy with my work...i would go stir crazy if i didnt.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #20
Hookedagain

Quote:
I just placed a very large order for enough pvc trim to keep me busy for the next three weeks. The five plexiglass screens I made only took four hours to build. If more screens are needed I'll build them.
My motivation right now is to just keep busy with my work...i would go stir crazy if i didnt.
I hear that, for now I'm still working my second job (home construction ) but who knows how long it will last.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:47 AM   #21
Rmarsh

Had a very productive week. No commute...no unloading tools and setting up.....no one getting in the way....no breaks or interuptions. Walk out the door of the house and into the shop.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:44 AM   #22
Hookedagain

Quote:
Had a very productive week. No commute...no unloading tools and setting up.....no one getting in the way....no breaks or interuptions. Walk out the door of the house and into the shop.
The guys I work with don't get it. I try to explain to them that I get so much more accomplished when I work alone compared to working with the whole crew. No-one asking me to help them, questions about what they're doing, can I borrow a tool.....alone is much more peaceful and productive. I your case, being at your own shop is an added bonus.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:52 AM   #23
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedagain View Post
The guys I work with don't get it. I try to explain to them that I get so much more accomplished when I work alone compared to working with the whole crew. No-one asking me to help them, questions about what they're doing, can I borrow a tool.....alone is much more peaceful and productive. I your case, being at your own shop is an added bonus.
No doubt about it.....working alone is way more productive and a lot less aggravation. Last kitchen I installed, while finishing up the soffit and crown, the electricians new helper, decided to switch and plug the kitchen receptacles. Well i could tell this kid was pretty green, so I nicely told him...."I cant have you in my way while I do my work here." He seem startled that I would claim that area as my own workspace.
Next day as I just finish putting the island cabinets in place, same youngster comes in and piles all his supplies in the upper drawers. This time I said loudly "Dont put your stuff there"
He must have told his boss....because he came in and asked "why you yelling at my guy"
I said "Well... either you teach him some job etiquette or i will"
Old 04-17-2020, 06:47 AM   #24
Guppy
User

How about the Estwing I drove through the plumbers TOO freaken loud boom box... god that felt good... LOL
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:41 AM   #25
Slipknot
Super Moderator

The stories we could tell, I feel your pain you guys

no shortage of ignorance and incompetence

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:47 AM   #26
spence

Quote:
How about the Estwing I drove through the plumbers TOO freaken loud boom box... god that felt good... LOL
I did something similar once. A sales guy wasn't paying attention so I changed the font size on one of his PowerPoint slides. BAM! That's never going to happen again
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:43 AM   #27
Rmarsh

Quote:

Yeah Ray....music too loud is one thing....I can tolerate most of it...
it's the white boys playing ghetto rap music...like the one with the lyric "mutha fucan nica whatchu want" repeated over and over....that kind of garbage upsets me. Some of it with much worse language....wish you had been there with your estwing. LOL
Old 04-22-2020, 05:42 PM   #28
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Got more dividers installed at another large dental practice. (actually remembered to take pics) Two counters. Amazing how out of plumb some commercial construction is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lexan1.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	67079   Click image for larger version

Name:	lexan2.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	67080   Click image for larger version

Name:	lexan3.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	67081  

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:49 AM   #29
Rmarsh

Nice work Ross! The receptionists there must be relieved to have some protection. The cashier girls working at the gas stations were very pleased with the shields that i built...say they want them to stay permanently.....which seems appropriate now.

Another project that will keep me working alone in my shop for a little while.... I have a sign to build, which will be an exact replica of one that i did six or seven years ago. All pvc construction....cutting out the lettering from 1/2" sheet stock was easy......i will do all the painting as I did on the original which is a little faded but still looks good. Hard to tell....but the sign is 7' wide and 4' tall.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:54 AM   #30
Rmarsh

painting all the lettering first...before gluing them down. Colors were off a bit off...my fault for trying to match the colors by eye......only the first coat...so going back to the paint store for a better match to the original. The lettering will have a contrasting color around the edges...i'll use the dividers to follow around the outside edges a half inch in...then paint to that line by hand...after the interior color is done.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:06 AM..