Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 12-11-2020, 11:49 AM   #1
SolOmoN

Send a message via Yahoo to SolOmoN
I made a rod rack im not good so....

I needed to replace the old rack. As you can see its pretty weathered and doesn't really hold to many rods, truth be told I'm surprised it has lasted as long as it did with no major issues.

The new rack is a 2 x 10 and it kind of just worked out when I was building it. I had no plan, it was just " I want it to be like the old one but with more spots". As I was going along I kept tweaking it. The spacing could be a little wider between pvc so that's when the idea came to me to put a rod through them. Kind of like killed two birds one stone. The aluminum rod works great in two ways, the first it helps keep the pvc from rotating when a rod is locked in and second you can alternate to make a rod fit without rubbing or hitting the ones below. I only have 30's (5) and two popping / jigging rods that I really wanted this for and it works great. All my other inshore rods can be placed anywhere that there is an open spot, and I can carry all my rods without having to put them inside the truck. On the bottom of the rack I added some Azek that I had left over from a job and I fastened it with brads. This way the wood is up off the bed mat so water can pass through. I cut some slots in the azek in the middle for just that purpose. I left the azek extended in the front to prevent the rack from rotating towards the back of the truck. Finally I plan to paint it or I haven't figured out what I want to do, but when I do it will be unscrewed, primed and glued back together. I used deck screws for the main parts and galvanized screws for the pipe brackets. The two lower outer holders have their own pin in them and are capped off with push nuts on each end to prevent the pin from coming out.

If you look there is a tuna decal and a seadek decal on there but just like a shadow....

sol...

SolOmoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #2
Guppy
User

Sweet
Have you loaded it up yet,,,, thinking it may roll down with the weight of all the rods....
Looks great
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:45 PM   #3
SolOmoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Sweet
Have you loaded it up yet,,,, thinking it may roll down with the weight of all the rods....
Looks great
Yea it works good with the azek that I put on the bottom and it fits in the channel on each bed side... it pretty cool thanks for looking!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Old 12-11-2020, 07:58 PM   #4
Guppy
User

Ya but! Now you’ve got to wait 4 months to use it! :-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:57 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

We’d all give you compliments but we’re trying to save you money on hats
It looks like it will work great and look good 😌
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:14 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

nice... and low profile.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:39 PM   #7
SolOmoN

Thanks for all the kind words... Merry Christmas all!