Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Current headline on Yahoo - Why Florida Has Americas Lowest Covid Rate

I can't take a screen shot for some reason, but that's the headline this morning on Yahoo.

I figured some folks here (1) would want to know, and (2) wouldn't know based on where they get their news.

.from yahoo...

"During the past two months, however, Florida’s daily average has plummeted by more than 90 percent, to about 1,700 cases, or eight for every 100,000 residents. That’s roughly half of California’s current COVID rate and less than a quarter of Vermont’s."

Last edited by Jim in CT; 10-27-2021 at 09:18 AM..
Old 10-27-2021, 09:28 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-27-2021, 09:42 AM   #3
wdmso

Florida COVID Cases Among Lowest in Country Two Months After Record High Surge. https://www.newsweek.com/florida-cov...-surge-1639985

Again posting a half truth
Old 10-27-2021, 09:43 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post

of course, when florida’s numbers were high, that was a sign that desantis was incompetent, and the same people who said so, will obviously not say desantis gets any credit for the decrease.

which is why guy can’t judge someone in a couple
of months, even if those months really help make the political
point you’re trying to make.

i also saw that there have been the usual number of white cops shootings unarmed blacks in 2021, but for some reason the media and al sharpton aren’t screaming about systemic racism every time
it happens. by an amazing coincidence, people stopped caring about those things the same day that Biden was inaugurated. just a coincidence.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:49 AM   #5
spence

Did you bother to read the article?
Old 10-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #6
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I can't take a screen shot for some reason, but that's the headline this morning on Yahoo.

I figured some folks here (1) would want to know, and (2) wouldn't know based on where they get their news.

.from yahoo...

"During the past two months, however, Florida’s daily average has plummeted by more than 90 percent, to about 1,700 cases, or eight for every 100,000 residents. That’s roughly half of California’s current COVID rate and less than a quarter of Vermont’s."

Funny Jim in the same article

Like everything else about America’s COVID ordeal, the state’s declining infection numbers are being turned into political talking points. Conservatives on Twitter and Fox News now claim that Florida’s turnaround vindicates the hands-off policies of Republican Gov. (and likely 2024 presidential hopeful) Ron DeSantis,

And they’ve done it without mask or vaccine mandates,” added conservative radio host Clay Travis. “This is why Ron DeSantis terrifies the coronabros. Because all their shutdowns & mandates, which destroy freedoms, provide no benefits.”

You like most conservatives are desperate to show a cause and effect that doesn’t exist ..
Old 10-27-2021, 09:54 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
of course, written by a liberal hack. the author gave all the reasons why desantis deserves no credit for the drop, because these things are cyclical. but if that’s true, it’s also necessarily true that desantis deserves no blame for the summer spike

the left, as always, wants it both ways. when the numbers are bad, desantis is at fault. when the numbers improve, he gets no credit.

does that make sense to you, spence?

desantis didn’t keep
numbers down, except that the state did a good job with their many seniors ( guy know, not forcing nursing homes to admit sick people). what desantis did, is show that there may very well be no benefit at all, to the brutal business lockdowns and disastrous school closures.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:54 AM   #8
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Does he ever?
Old 10-27-2021, 09:55 AM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

Just hold your hands over your ears and scream

If you infect enough people to reach herd immunity your covid rate will drop, and who cares about the 40 thousand more deaths, never mind the excess deaths that are currently uncounted.

California cases 12,376 per 100K

Vermont cases 6262 per 100K

Floriduh cases 16,954 per 100K

California deaths 182 per 100K

Vermont deaths 57 per 100K

Floriduh deaths 274 per 100K

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-27-2021, 09:55 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Like everything else about America’s COVID ordeal, the state’s declining infection numbers are being turned into political talking points. Conservatives on Twitter and Fox News now claim that Florida’s turnaround vindicates the hands-off policies of Republican Gov. (and likely 2024 presidential hopeful) Ron DeSantis,

And they’ve done it without mask or vaccine mandates,” added conservative radio host Clay Travis. “This is why Ron DeSantis terrifies the coronabros. Because all their shutdowns & mandates, which destroy freedoms, provide no benefits.”

You like most conservatives are desperate to show a cause and effect that doesn’t exist ..
but you all claimed the cause and effect t did exist, when florida’s numbers were bad. that was my point. but now that the numbers are awesome, you say there’s no relationship between desantis and his numbers

wayne his state has been much more open than many other states, and his death rates are better than in many states that had strict lockdowns. that’s called “winning”.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:02 AM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

If you infect enough people to reach herd immunity your covid rate will drop, and who cares about the 40 thousand more deaths, never mind the excess deaths that are currently uncounted.

Quote:
but you all claimed the cause and effect t did exist, when florida’s numbers were bad. that was my point. but now that the numbers are awesome, you say there’s no relationship between desantis and his numbers

wayne his state has been much more open than many other states, and his death rates are better than in many states that had strict lockdowns. that’s called “winning”.
The cause and effect did exist and still does.

But life only counts prior to birth for you.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-27-2021, 10:40 AM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
The cause and effect did exist and still does.

But life only counts prior to birth for you.
"The cause and effect did exist and still does"

Which means you give Desantis credit for the plummeting covid numbers in Florida.

"But life only counts prior to birth for you"

A very common, desperate attack from liberals. Except the data clearly shows that conservatives are as likely ( slightly more likely, to be more accurate) to donate time and money to charity, than liberals. How on Earth do you reconcile that, with your desperate wish to paint conservatives as callous?
Old 10-27-2021, 10:42 AM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Does he ever?
I read every word. It proved my point, that for political reasons, you will all say Desantis is responsible when Floridas numbers go up, but none if you have sh*t to say when Floridas numbers are the best in the nation.

Now, if theres a reason for that double standard other than partisan politics, well, we're all ears.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:05 AM   #14
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
"The cause and effect did exist and still does"

Which means you give Desantis credit for the plummeting covid numbers in Florida.

"But life only counts prior to birth for you"

A very common, desperate attack from liberals. Except the data clearly shows that conservatives are as likely ( slightly more likely, to be more accurate) to donate time and money to charity, than liberals. How on Earth do you reconcile that, with your desperate wish to paint conservatives as callous?
That would be the data from One study and consumption philanthropy is quite different than a food bank or homeless shelter. It works like this:

Nike's Phil Knight gave $1.6 billion to his foundation in 2018
*$1.26B was tax deductible
*Made up 2.8% of his net worth
*Used donation to push U of Oregon to cut ties with sweatshop monitoring group

As long as you’re willing to give DeathSantis credit for 40,000 unnecessary deaths

Meanwhile the tweet from Phil Scott

The data is clear: vaccines work. Throughout the Delta wave, the most vaccinated states have seen significantly fewer hospitalizations and fatalities. VT has stood out even among the most vaccinated places. Thousands of Vermonters get vaccinated every week. Join them.

The tweet from DeathSantis

1. Your livelihood should not be dependent upon whether you get a COVID shot. This is a personal decision.
2. The Biden Vaccine Mandate is unconstitutional, and we have a responsibility to fight back as a state.
3. Vaccine mandates are bad for the economy.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-27-2021, 11:20 AM   #15
wdmso

Quote:
of course, written by a liberal hack.
You were all proud of you headline !

What happened?"
Old 10-27-2021, 11:23 AM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
That would be the data from One study and consumption philanthropy is quite different than a food bank or homeless shelter. It works like this:

Nike's Phil Knight gave $1.6 billion to his foundation in 2018
*$1.26B was tax deductible
*Made up 2.8% of his net worth
*Used donation to push U of Oregon to cut ties with sweatshop monitoring group

As long as you’re willing to give DeathSantis credit for 40,000 unnecessary deaths

Meanwhile the tweet from Phil Scott

The data is clear: vaccines work. Throughout the Delta wave, the most vaccinated states have seen significantly fewer hospitalizations and fatalities. VT has stood out even among the most vaccinated places. Thousands of Vermonters get vaccinated every week. Join them.

The tweet from DeathSantis

1. Your livelihood should not be dependent upon whether you get a COVID shot. This is a personal decision.
2. The Biden Vaccine Mandate is unconstitutional, and we have a responsibility to fight back as a state.
3. Vaccine mandates are bad for the economy.
One shady guy, Phil Knight, skews the whole data set. Gotcha.

Pete, what's your evidence that conservatives stop caring when the baby is born?

And there is a huge difference between being opposed to the vaccine, and being opposed to being forced to take a vaccine. Those are two very different things, even if you can't distinguish them.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:43 AM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:

Wayne, can you agree that Desantis is equally responsible for the good months his state has, as the bad months? Or is he only responsible for the bad months?
Old 10-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #18
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Wayne, can you agree that Desantis is equally responsible for the good months his state has, as the bad months? Or is he only responsible for the bad months?
By that measure, if he’d succeeded in killing everyone he’d be perfect.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-27-2021, 11:50 AM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
By that measure, if he’d succeeded in killing everyone he’d be perfect.
how the hell did you arrive at that?

i didn’t say he gets praise for the bad days. i said, since you all seemed to clearly think he was responsible for the bad days this summer, why isn’t he equally responsible for the great results now? according to your logic, he gets blame
for the bad days but no credit for the good days. how does that make sense?

you are impossible to have a rational conversation with.

you can’t talk to someone who thinks paternity leave is the answer to urban fatherlessness.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:58 AM   #20
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
One shady guy, Phil Knight, skews the whole data set. Gotcha.

Pete, what's your evidence that conservatives stop caring when the baby is born?

And there is a huge difference between being opposed to the vaccine, and being opposed to being forced to take a vaccine. Those are two very different things, even if you can't distinguish them.
Oh, nobody else would do that. K

My evidence that conservatives stop caring is quite similar to yours that liberals are responsible for inner cities.

And there’s a big difference between Scott’s and DeathSantis’ approaches, like 5X as many dead people.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
how the hell did you arrive at that?

i didn’t say he gets praise for the bad days. i said, since you all seemed to clearly think he was responsible for the bad days this summer, why isn’t he equally responsible for the great results now? according to your logic, he gets blame
for the bad days but no credit for the good days. how does that make sense?

you can’t talk to someone who thinks paternity leave is the answer to urban fatherlessness.
Pretty simple
His current “good” months are the result of a high level of infection in the bad months resulting in some level of herd immunity.
If everyone had died in the bad months, he would currently have by far the lowest infection rate.
Hurrah

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-27-2021, 12:35 PM   #22
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

I didn’t say that paternity leave was the answer, what I said was:
“You’re proof that the Venn diagram of men who are saying paternity leave isn't necessary cause babies don't need their fathers and people who blame all racial disparity in the U.S. on a "lack of black fathers" is a circle.”
Do I need to explain a Venn diagram?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-27-2021, 01:09 PM   #23
PaulS

Quote:

Didn't he previously argue that the total #s from inception were the most important thing?
Old 10-27-2021, 01:13 PM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Pretty simple
His current “good” months are the result of a high level of infection in the bad months resulting in some level of herd immunity.
If everyone had died in the bad months, he would currently have by far the lowest infection rate.
Hurrah
"His current “good” months are the result of a high level of infection in the bad months resulting in some level of herd immunity."

and the fact that his bad months were summer, when its too hot to be outside in FL and everyone is stuck inside, had noting whatsoever to do with the summer spike in covid cases.

"If everyone had died in the bad months, he would currently have by far the lowest infection rate."

Well that's not what happened, is it? So we know that's not driving the improvement.

Amazing, you all gave Cuomo a complete free pass for everything, Desantis can't do anything right. That's just a coincidence, not a political tactic.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:16 PM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Didn't he previously argue that the total #s from inception were the most important thing?
I did argue that, and I stand by that.

You snowflakes were hyper-focused on short-term numbers. When Floridas numbers were bad, you were all gleefully posting the weekly data. Then all of a sudden - poof! - you all stopped. You all stopped at the same exact time, and by an amazing coincidence, that just happened to be when Floridas numbers got better.

I'm not very impressed by any very short term results, they're too volatile. It was you and your fellow lefties here, who made it clear that weekly results were what mattered. Well unless you were all full of sh*t, these weekly results also matter.

I'm being consistent. You're all flip-flopping.

Let's go, Brandon!
Old 10-27-2021, 01:33 PM   #26
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
I did argue that, and I stand by that.

You snowflakes were hyper-focused on short-term numbers. When Floridas numbers were bad, you were all gleefully posting the weekly data. Then all of a sudden - poof! - you all stopped. You all stopped at the same exact time, and by an amazing coincidence, that just happened to be when Floridas numbers got better.

I'm not very impressed by any very short term results, they're too volatile. It was you and your fellow lefties here, who made it clear that weekly results were what mattered. Well unless you were all full of sh*t, these weekly results also matter.

I'm being consistent. You're all flip-flopping.

Let's go, Brandon!
The short term numbers are what you have a chance of controlling a pandemic with.

If you had a mass murderer in a place with a population of 22 million and each day he killed three hundred and fifty of them, would that be alright?
You would be screaming to eliminate civil rights until he was found, just like the Patriot Act.
If Covid was a Muslim all the conservatives would be wearing masks, getting vaccinated and have Covid hunter bumper stickers

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-27-2021, 01:40 PM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
The short term numbers are what you have a chance of controlling a pandemic with.

If you had a mass murderer in a place with a population of 22 million and each day he killed three hundred and fifty of them, would that be alright?
You would be screaming to eliminate civil rights until he was found, just like the Patriot Act.
If Covid was a Muslim all the conservatives would be wearing masks, getting vaccinated and have Covid hunter bumper stickers
ok. so why did you give cuomo a complete pass when he was forcing nursing homes to admit residents who were sick with a disease that we all knew would target the elderly?

and then he fished the numbers

and still, everyone sang his praises, he got a book deal, he got an Emmy.

if short term numbers are important, which is your claim, you should
be happily posting that florida’s numbers are improving. but you aren’t posting that, because you want fodida to have bad numbers so desantis isn’t a political threat to the alzheimer’s patient we have now.

Furthermore, Florida’s numbers were pretty good all along, until this summer. Yet you never posted anything about florida until the cases spiked. how come?
Old 10-27-2021, 01:42 PM   #28
PaulS

Quote:

Let's go, Brandon!
Classy Guy.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:59 PM   #29
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
ok. so why did you give cuomo a complete pass when he was forcing nursing homes to admit residents who were sick with a disease that we all knew would target the elderly?

and then he fished the numbers

and still, everyone sang his praises, he got a book deal, he got an Emmy.

if short term numbers are important, which is your claim, you should
be happily posting that florida’s numbers are improving. but you aren’t posting that, because you want fodida to have bad numbers so desantis isn’t a political threat to the alzheimer’s patient we have now.

Furthermore, Florida’s numbers were pretty good all along, until this summer. Yet you never posted anything about florida until the cases spiked. how come?
You can look up my comments on Cuomo:

"Cuomo is now only able to attain praise for his actions because his earlier failures made those actions necessary. Of course, part of this is because Donald Trump has bungled the coronavirus response even more badly, so that Cuomo – by not being a complete buffoon – looks like a capable statesman by contrast."

NY did worse at first and learned how to do better so passing NY in deaths by all measures is nothing to be proud of, as to the rest of your rant maybe Scott can fix your spelling and grammar

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-27-2021, 02:02 PM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Classy Guy.
snowflake guy.

you use the word retarded, you insist there’s nothing wrong with it. but this goes too far.