Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 01-09-2003, 07:22 PM   #1
gilligan
GrayBeards

fore river ship yard

an article in the patriot ledger talks about the three construction firms approved for bidding the re-development. it looks like they are interested in maybe a retail/marina area for the waterfront portion. hopefully they will get some life down there! i grew up down the street and can't remember anything but desolate, industrial wasteland. i know the history of the shipyard and the history of alot of the warships built there, in fact i was stationed in philadelphia while the uss salem amongst other ships built in quincy were mothballed and i was pretty much in awe of them when i learned they were built in quincy. i think it would be nice to see the city dedicate a possible shopping area/marina and construct a theme that keeps the history in its place. things like keep the salem at her birthplace and build a mall around her(not literally) but use it to attract attention to her. people naturally flock to shopping malls, alot more people/tourists would visit her if there were a shopping outlet/marina. its more than just that ship but i think you get the idea. any thoughts, comments ?
gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 07:52 PM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I'd be intersted to see how that works out. That is still a little chug in a no-wake zone before getting past Wesse. It was nice at Marina Bay to exit the breakwater and jump to 50MPH

I also would like to see it take off & revitalize. How is the new power plant across the river looking?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 08:24 PM   #3
gilligan
GrayBeards

its moving along

but the neighbors in the area on the weymouth side have a big issue w/ whats going on. they are putting up a huge fight which is doing nothing in my eyes but delaying the project. im from north weymouth and can understand the problems(just like anyone else who's victim to development.which=everyone from north weymouth) i would like to see the people near the bridge just deal with the construction and accept the fact that its gonna be there untill its done. im sure everyone has read about it in the papers, its back and forth with these people. LET THEM FINISH THE JOB, THEN THE COMPLAINING WILL STOP! BUT then the EPA is gonna step in. then when they are done the FPA is next in line. we all know who is next Mr. GPA.........................
ultimately i hope, in the end something nice for the public to enjoy comes out of it
Old 01-09-2003, 08:28 PM   #4
gilligan
GrayBeards

oh yeah

i hear ya about the no wake delay but if ya think about it it wont be much difference than from capt. cove, town river access.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:04 AM   #5
BEETLE

Read in the paper Jay Cashman is a bidder for the project. He has a lot of local clout, i wouldn't be surprised if he got it, and I don't think he'll have any marinas in mind, so don't get your hopes up.
Commenting on the power plant, which as some know, when finished I will be part of the operations staff,
(A) I would not be to thrilled having a marina, restaurant, hotel, ect, type of a venue right across the river - just more highbrow types to bitch about the GHASTLY power plant(s) - (don't forget about Braintree Power's Gen. plant) and the poop to fertilizer pellet plant, ect.

(B) As for the residents near the bridge, I regret to say, had they not bitched, they would have been run over rampant by four major projects going on at once, one by Sithe, now sold to Exelon, the bridge project, run by the state - (need I say anymore), the MWRA sewer tunnel project, the Algonquin Gas pipeline, coming from Nova Scotia, and the town upgrades to the water system, (FYI - the money for the Town H2O upgrade came from Sithe - 2 million $$.)

After spending over a year here at the power plant project, watching it being built along with these other projects, and also as a lifelong Weymouth resident, and having dealt with issues in my own section of Weymouth, I must empithize with these people. The power plant is behind for many reasons, the largest is the project has been poorly managed by Raytheon / Washington Group, who are the contractors, at the bottom of that list have been the community complaints. I could go into more detail, but should not.
The neighbors complaints, although "sometimes" unjustified, can certainly be understood, as this plant was supposed to be on line July 2002 !
I'll give you one example of what I mean - last night the 2am shift is letting out - some Yahoo has an Airhorn - you can figure out the rest - these houses are only a few hundred yards away ! Then the mass exodus of vehicles - loud mufflers, screeching tires, horns, 4 - 6 School busses, ect. - (surprisingly, we recieved no noise complaints through all this) Also, if it was Summertime, add 25 Harleys to the mix.
4 hours later, at 6am it starts all over again, with the incoming day shift.
Imagine what it would be like had they NOT complained.

Just a different point of view from someone on the inside - looking out !!

The beetle.
BEETLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 08:13 AM   #6
gilligan
GrayBeards

i do

feel for the people around there, i really do but the complaining is just non-stop. what did they expect? projects like this take years to complete then putting one after another is only prolonging there suffering. they are in for a big surprise if a tunnel goes thru instead of a new bridge. as far as the clown w/ an airhorn is concerned that sucks, there is always somebody pulling crap like that around. im not saying they dont have legitimate complaints and dont have a right to sleep at night i just think they are making it extremely difficult by non-stop complaining about anything possible.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:57 AM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Raytheon / Washington Group
A/K/A Badger & United

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 03:11 PM   #8
BEETLE

Quote:
AKA - Badger + United
John,
whats that mean ? you know i'm slow on the uptake at times !!

Mike,
I started to type out a response, but there are things I can't devulge in a public forum. We'll have to continue this debate when we are together, which should be soon, as i've got back into the charity tournament stuff this week.
BEETLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 12:13 PM   #9
gilligan
GrayBeards

roger that

let me kmow what i need to do.