Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 05-25-2003, 05:35 PM   #1
gilligan
GrayBeards

got some new tools. (long post)

i had to do it. watching you guys make some incredible plugs drove me nuts so i went out and bought a bunch of delta shop master tools. i got a midi-lathe, 10" chop saw, 9" band saw and a 10" drill press and im not done yet. i have been doing alright turning some plugs but i just cannot figure this thru drilling. im a carpenter by trade and can do just about anything with wood. i have been following this forum for about a year and a half with particular attention for the past few months. i have plugs made by tattoo, #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&(which i will be ordering plug hardware from soon ) and gibbs which i am using all for prototypes(i dont have a duplicator) well anyway i was just wondering:
1. (i saw newell guys thru drilling post and would like to see a few more pics)but could anyone else offer suggestions/post pics of there method because i like to have more than one option.
2. whats your opinion on the best duplicator for the delta midi lathe?
3. i would like to get my hands on some alaskan yellow cedar. i could ask all the lumber yards i go to but im sure you guys have already found the best deals out there. Sooooooo if someone could share that with me
4. and last but not least are there any books you could point me towards that would answer alot of the other questions i have?(or do you mind me picking your brains?)
thanks alot for any replies and ill post some pics when i feel my work is up to par
mike s
gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 07:06 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

delta midi lathe is fine
get a drill chuck attachment for it and thru drill with that.

Best duplicator IMO is the kind Assinippi made

there's some place in Attleboro or N. Attleboro that has ACY reasonable.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 06:33 PM   #3
blackeye
Authoritaah

on rt 118 past the La Sallette shrine. bout a mile down the road on the right, Attleboro Rehobeth Builders supply. 2x4x12 of AYC will run ya $12.50-not the clearest wood but it's priced ok and close by.

Is it good, or is it Sofa King good?
blackeye is offline   Reply With Quote