Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 05:59 AM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Pierce Opts Out Of Contract???

If its a FAT pay day he is looking for from the Celts I would not think its gonna be that FAT considering how he played in the finals???? Was he even there???

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:09 AM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

If so....maybe forces the Celts into the Lebron/Dwayne Wade sweepstakes.... Still disappointing for someone who professed to bleed green.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Guess thats how he rolls! I would rather Pay James the big bucks...more upside!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

I don't blame him. If Doc goes with some key other guys why would he stick around for a rebuild? Take a pay day, he doesn't owe us anything.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:52 AM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I don't think its a FAT payday as much as a long term payday he's after.....probably wants to seal it up so he retires a Celtic. He know he's past his prime so Big money is not what he's after.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:01 AM   #6
Slipknot
Super Moderator

This is a good thing for the team
TDF is right

21 million is too much for one guy next year, he wants more years and to retire a Celtic. I hope they come to an agreement.

I bet Ray stays too, now that there may be more cap space, that is likely to happen.

ya, how they did in the finals is fresh on your mind but other factors have to be considered.
I think Doc is gone, we'll miss him
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
luds
Night Stalker

Send them all packing and rebuild around Rondo!

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds View Post
Send them all packing and rebuild around Rondo!
Did you miss the rebuilding (2) decades?

UnFun.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

doc and the big three............ all gone. sheed too. none of their numbers getting put up in the rafters.
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
JohnnyD

With Pierce opting out, it opens the window for the Celtics to get a younger, better star player to fill his spot. Lots of prospects on the Free Agent table that may like Boston due to having a bench that can back them up.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_shocker View Post
doc and the big three............ all gone. sheed too. none of their numbers getting put up in the rafters.
Pierce's number will go up there.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #12
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Pierce's number will go up there.....
i feel like he needs to finish his career with the celtics. we'll see
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #13
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Basketball

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #14
Karl F

Doc is staying put... Pierce... the Truth is, he ain't worth 90 million, the bloom is off his rose.... he goes to LA.. (clippers)...
better to give Ray Ray a big check for one year, than to pay big dough for the Truth....

funny players all went after Doc.. Doc says he's back because he wants one more shot with "this group".. and now the group seems to be making tracks outta town.... oh well.. see what comes out in the wash... and they did just draft a white boy from Indiana... hmmmm
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
Saltheart

"They way they played in the playoffs" !!!! Give me a break. They went to the finals. They went to 7 games in the finals. They come within a few points (more correctly minutes) of being the best in the world and people complain about how"they played in the playoffs".

Pierce is the best guy on the team. Yes he is probably trying to get all he can in a long term deal and retire here. That's fine with me. Its a job just like yours or mine. I hope they come to a deal but I understand a guy changing team when millions are at stake. Its not a neighborhood team or support your school team , its a professional team.

As far as who's numbers go to the rafters , if Pierce finishes in Boston his number gets retired. Even if he leaves but the whole thing doesn't get ugly , his number goes up at some point but not until well after he retires from wherever he ends up. If it turns into something nasty and he leaves , then you never know.

A guy who plays his whole career with the same team and has a 20+ PPG average gets his number retired by every team in the NBA.

Ray Allen is a great player. So he went cold in the last few Games of the playoffs. he.s been a great asset and I hope he stays. garnett is the guy I'm willing to part with to get the dollars and a young talented player. If they are smart , Rondo becomes untouchable and as someone said , they start building a new team around him with an eye for the day when they no longer have Allen or Pierce.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #16
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
"They way they played in the playoffs" !!!! Give me a break. They went to the finals. They went to 7 games in the finals. They come within a few points (more correctly minutes) of being the best in the world and people complain about how"they played in the playoffs".

Pierce is the best guy on the team. Yes he is probably trying to get all he can in a long term deal and retire here. That's fine with me. Its a job just like yours or mine. I hope they come to a deal but I understand a guy changing team when millions are at stake. Its not a neighborhood team or support your school team , its a professional team.

As far as who's numbers go to the rafters , if Pierce finishes in Boston his number gets retired. Even if he leaves but the whole thing doesn't get ugly , his number goes up at some point but not until well after he retires from wherever he ends up. If it turns into something nasty and he leaves , then you never know.

A guy who plays his whole career with the same team and has a 20+ PPG average gets his number retired by every team in the NBA.

Ray Allen is a great player. So he went cold in the last few Games of the playoffs. he.s been a great asset and I hope he stays. garnett is the guy I'm willing to part with to get the dollars and a young talented player. If they are smart , Rondo becomes untouchable and as someone said , they start building a new team around him with an eye for the day when they no longer have Allen or Pierce.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, to everything you said. You're right on point.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #17
Slipknot
Super Moderator

looks like he is staying put like I thought
4 year deal with 3 years guaranteed

now sign Ray and we;ll have the band back together now that Doc is staying
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #18
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
looks like he is staying put like I thought
4 year deal with 3 years guaranteed

now sign Ray and we;ll have the band back together now that Doc is staying
Pierce will retire in 3 years, they have salary cap now, they need to bolster the bench.
And I don't think LeBron is coming to BeanTown
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #19
Saltheart

Lebron is a great player but would he sacrifice his own MVP stats to play on championship targeted team effort Celtics?

Celtics win by playing D and sharing the ball. They always have. Would he be willing to do that?

Anyway , I'd love to see Pierce and Allen back.

I think you must trade Kevin Garnett to win it all in 2011. Of course a big question is who can you get instead? However , I think that is the weak link now. Too bad players get old but its a fact of life.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #20
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

He opted out because of the new collective bargaining agreement that will be put into place next season. He would not have made the $$ next year if he waited for his contract to run out and became a Free Agent next season. Same reason Nowitzski in Dallas and Stoudamire in Phoenix did.
Dad 818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #21
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Guess thats how he rolls! I would rather Pay James the big bucks...more upside!
LMFAO!

James will never play second fiddle to anyone!! Instead when they put "2nd rate players" around him he'll have an excuse as to why he didn't win. If he would swallow his Alpha-Male ego and sign in Miami with D-Wade and perhaps Bosh/Stoudamire they'd be dominant. But because Wade would be making more $$ due to the Larry Bird exception, James will never go for it. Grab the big bucks "King" and enjoy the playoff failures.
Dad 818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #22
SurfCaster413

Pierce got his money 4 years 60 million
SurfCaster413 is offline   Reply With Quote