Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 03-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
fish raptor

Tying braid to braid on a spool

Getting ready to order a bunch of braid for some new reels purchased.

I have never seen it mentioned here and have always wondered if anyone has ever tied braid to braid to fill a spool to capacity.

Lets say you need 800 yards of braid to fill a spool and you only have 600 or 700. Is is tabu to tie that 100 to 200' of braid together at the beginning. I know that tying mono filler is very common but I don't every recall hearing anyone going braid to braid since it's so slippery.

If so would the uni to uni or the modified Albright be the knot of choice.

i don't know If I will have a problem or the need to do the above but would like to know if it is an option. It would bother me slightly knowing that know was there but it would also bother me that I have a 200' piece of new braid that I have not need for.

Ya see I found a nice big "rat's nest" of braid upon the rocks at the canal and after untangling I didn't find too many nicks so I just thought I'd save a few bucks..... (just kidding)
fish raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #2
niko

U can, but do u really want a knot in the spool. I just take what's good and use it to spool up a smaller reel
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
beamie

A couple things.

Like Niko said.....do you really want a knot. This time of year is the time to start fresh. Now during the season if you have a clusterflock and have to tie a knot a Uni to Uni is fine, that is what I do. Especially on a ground fishing charter and the current acts up and no one a paying attention to the lines. you have to cut a couple lines and retie to get the guys fishing again with the braid.

Your not starting from the mt spool with braid are you? On a bigger reel, thinking my conventionals put some dacron backing and top it with a 2+ hundred yards of braid. You'd go broke starting with braid, very unnecessary.

You can also put some mono on as backing too but I prefer dacron. Dacron is old school but lasts season after season.

Knot wise I have pretty much summed up all my fishing to Uni, Uni to Uni, Palomar 98% of the time.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
fish raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
A couple things.

Like Niko said.....do you really want a knot. This time of year is the time to start fresh. Now during the season if you have a clusterflock and have to tie a knot a Uni to Uni is fine, that is what I do. Especially on a ground fishing charter and the current acts up and no one a paying attention to the lines. you have to cut a couple lines and retie to get the guys fishing again with the braid.

Your not starting from the mt spool with braid are you? On a bigger reel, thinking my conventionals put some dacron backing and top it with a 2+ hundred yards of braid. You'd go broke starting with braid, very unnecessary.

You can also put some mono on as backing too but I prefer dacron. Dacron is old school but lasts season after season.

Knot wise I have pretty much summed up all my fishing to Uni, Uni to Uni, Palomar 98% of the time.
Hey Beamie.... didn't you just contradict yourself ? First you start off by stating "like Niko said... do you want a knot there" then you went on to state you that back with Dacron and top with 200 yards of braid. You had to tie a knot to connect the dacron to the braid so your knot is no different than my knot. I realize you did it to keep from spooling completely with braid to save $$.

Yes to your question, I am spooling totally with braid, no filler. (I do know about braid slip on spool and that issue is taken care of)

The chance of ever "reaching" that braid to braid knot at 100 to 200' from the beginning of a 800' spool is pretty slim so if it has to go thru the guides a time or two in it's lifetime, no big deal. SIC guides are real slippery and knots are tiny. (said the man with a 100# Tuna on)

I just don't like the idea of throwing away a 100 or 200' of new braid.
My point is what do you do with 100' or so of new braid ? To short to put on a spinning outfit (especially if it's 60 or 80#).

I suppose I could use it for dental floss ??

So, that is why i inquired if anyone has ever tied braid to braid and know if their will be any issues. I trust all my knots (uni to uni, Mod. Albright & FG) but that is braid to floro, I have no experience with braid to braid and know that stuff is pretty slippery.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
Guppy
User

Dacron backing everywhere except small spinners...

I'm getting ready to re string all my stuff, been at least two seasons on most if not more and can't remember which spools I've reversed already,,, dah

and looking for best price on large spools of line

Bernie! Chuck that crap... :-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #6
tysdad115

Listen to those two..If a fish takes you that far you're already screwed. It's probably at least a 3# scup.

Last edited by tysdad115; 03-14-2017 at 04:53 PM..
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:02 PM   #7
Guppy
User

Which two ho?

I'm talking 100 yards on top of Dacron and by season end who knows what's left...

I really enjoy getting to the next spot look aft at an empty Squider spool,,, crank crank crank. LOL
Old 03-14-2017, 05:31 PM   #8
Sea Dangles

I have braid at least 5 years old on most of my gear. Could be a good year to refresh.
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #9
Sea Dangles

Fwiw, I would rather have somebody besides myself to hold accountable for any knot failure. Take it to a tackle shop that is local and get it done right. M&Ds has never failed me, nor has the Saltwater Edge. They pack it on tight and throw a couple tips out too.
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #10
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Which two ho?

I'm talking 100 yards on top of Dacron and by season end who knows what's left...

I really enjoy getting to the next spot look aft at an empty Squider spool,,, crank crank crank. LOL
Haha... I was advising him to follow advice above, you posted before i put mine up.

I take ho as a compliment!

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #11
fish raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
Listen to those two..If a fish takes you that far you're already screwed. It's probably at least a 3# scup.

3# Scup !!!!..... dat would officially be my P.B.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:29 PM   #12
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
Haha... I was advising him to follow advice above, you posted before i put mine up.

I take ho as a compliment!
Yup
Old 03-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #13
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Braid will last a long time, if it gets too frayed on a salt water reel, I'll move it over to a fresh water reel that needs far less yards. The first lesson I learned in spooling braid on spinning gear is either run some electrical tape over the first turns of braid or put some mono backing on first. I'm a big fan of backing and only putting what you need on the reel, whether it's mono or braid.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:27 PM   #14
beamie

Did I contradict myself? Well no not really, depend on how you read it.....

What I do seems to be just about the way most people do it with backing.....

You have to have a knot somewhere and you say you trust your knots, so you shouldn't have an issue.

Uni to Uni works great for braid. But I will say this, if the knot is between to tip and hook when your livening and you like to hit em hard eventually it may get stressed do to the shock, a knot deeper in the spool it is worry free for me.

But if your spooling up new for the year I wouldn't put a knot in.... except for the leader and backing.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #15
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

I wouldn't go braid to spool. Use mono or dacron backing.
Albright knot and a dab of super glue = no worries.

Last edited by MAKAI; 03-15-2017 at 07:34 AM..
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:46 PM   #16
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Knots in braid are Taboo
You don't want a knot anywhere near the surface of your spool when fishing braid...no matter the type of knot...it's going to get caught.
..my $.02

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:55 AM   #17
JFigliuolo

OK, I suck at fishing and never catch big fish. That being said... I can snag bottom with the best of them. I've been down deep in my spool in the surf and never, not once had a double-uni pull on braid. Even when breaking off due to yet another snag. I don't like the knot flying through my guides, and avoid it at all costs, but a double-uni deep in my spool? On a boat? If I'm down that deep on a fish I've got bigger problems...

YMMV

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:16 AM   #18
Sea Flat

The one time that I did it I did an Albright knot (which I use all the time to tie braid to fluro leader), of course I lose one of the few tuna I have had the pleasure of hooking up to.

Sea Flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #19
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

New season is a great time to replace you line and minimize damaged braid. I've caught good fish on lines with knots and lost good fish on lines with no knots - but no better time to go in with no/limited knots and great line condition

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #20
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAI View Post
I wouldn't go braid to spool. Use mono or dacron backing.
Albright knot and a dab of super glue = no worries.
Agree. Braid will slip on spool. Back with 20# Ande Back Country and n Albright knot to join mono to braid.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #21
Rockfish9

Dacron backing on the conventionals....enough braid to do the job...uni to uni for the connection.. coat the knot with plio bond or Sally Hanson's tough as nails... good for the life of the braid...have had this combo stand up to both tuna and sharks that grabbed a cod jig or the bottom dwelling fish it caught...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #22
MakoMike

FWIW you can tie braid to spool without slipping if you put a couple of wraps of tape around the spool. The tape gives the braid something to dig into.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #23
fish raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
FWIW you can tie braid to spool without slipping if you put a couple of wraps of tape around the spool. The tape gives the braid something to dig into.
Yeah, I use white cloth surgical tape. Used to use black electrical but the white seems to be perfect for the job.

That should keep that big 3# Scup from spinning that braid on the spool for sure....