Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 03-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Wicked Tuna

New season started this past week. My wife, who cannot fathom why anyone goes fishing (other than to eat fresh fish, but she can't grasp what we put ourselves through, and all the waiting, and the Godforesaken hours), loves the show. It's one of only two shows we watch together (Walking Dead is the other).

I don't know anything about this fishery, I am sure a lot of stuff is sensationalized for ratings. But I like watching the captains all making fun of the trust fund baby / pothead on the Pinwheel, and I love watching that jolly, enormous guy on the 'Hot Tuna' with his 2 Rotweillers going berserk every time they hook up.

Does anyone know...are these captains, among the cream of the crop, in that fishery? Or are they just selected for being entertaining?

And how do you not root for Marciano on the Hard Merchandise?
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #2
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
New season started this past week. My wife, who cannot fathom why anyone goes fishing (other than to eat fresh fish, but she can't grasp what we put ourselves through, and all the waiting, and the Godforesaken hours), loves the show. It's one of only two shows we watch together (Walking Dead is the other).

I don't know anything about this fishery, I am sure a lot of stuff is sensationalized for ratings. But I like watching the captains all making fun of the trust fund baby / pothead on the Pinwheel, and I love watching that jolly, enormous guy on the 'Hot Tuna' with his 2 Rotweillers going berserk every time they hook up.

Does anyone know...are these captains, among the cream of the crop, in that fishery? Or are they just selected for being entertaining?

I like him he just fishes the dot com guy he puts fish in the boat its all scripted
wdmso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
Clammer

Still gotta catch them

Dave c on the .com is a airplane pilot . so this is bonus money ....................... Dave marcinio should stay up north & skip the outta bank series .But then again someone told me ???? each boat gets 70K a series ><><>

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

I like him he just fishes the dot com guy he puts fish in the boat its all scripted
I am sure it is largely scripted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
Still gotta catch them

Dave c on the .com is a airplane pilot . so this is bonus money ....................... Dave marcinio should stay up north & skip the outta bank series .But then again someone told me ???? each boat gets 70K a series ><><>
This season's premiere, the kid on the Pinwheel supposedly fought a 500 pounder for 12 hours. If that wasn't scripted, that's pretty cool.

I am sure they get some kind of compensation like that, plus I am sure that with the TV exposure, the captains are selling merchandise on their websites and get appearance fees now. At one point it was the highest rated show on that network (National Geographic?).
Old 03-17-2017, 03:33 PM   #5
beamie

It's a great show if you don't know the gig.

Sensationalized, scripted etc. not much reality in reality tv.

Nice to watch in the winter. Just divid all the prices by 3 at least. Yes sometimes some tuna take 12 hours to land. It happens but then you'll be lucky if the buyer says $2 a lb.

Still fun to watch.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Yes, the price per pound quoted is BS. Really don't see the reasoning to inflate those prices....
Saw Dave from dotcom and Ralph from seasons past at RISAA, but had no interest in even making eye contact, nevermind conversation or buying merchandise. Life is too short.
I wonder if Natgeo is ever going to show how they bleed, clean, and ice the fish properly to protect the meat quality.... They educate the viewer on every other aspect it seems except this.
I would like to see Sandro get his own gig. Even if they don't have cameras onboard. There are a number of guys who are as good or better than the captains on the show, but they would not consider having a film crew onboard.
I don't think they get that much (70k) per show. Whatever the number is, it is nowhere near what the Deadliest Catch captains get.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:30 PM   #7
Clammer

Ross , I heard 70k per series ????

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 03-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #8
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I stand corrected, Mike. Misread your post.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #9
Clammer

no big deal ><>

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 03-18-2017, 09:44 AM   #10
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

I agree. Love that guy! He's the real deal.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #11
MakoMike

According to Dave Marciano, there are a lot of goings on that they don't air on the show. Bleeding and icing tuna is just one of them. Notice you never see them rigging up? Ever see one of them use a bomb or a kite?

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:05 PM   #12
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
According to Dave Marciano, there are a lot of goings on that they don't air on the show. Bleeding and icing tuna is just one of them. Notice you never see them rigging up? Ever see one of them use a bomb or a kite?
Would people expect them to give their bank account numbers and passwords also ?
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #13
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Would people expect them to give their bank account numbers and passwords also ?
I find it difficult to see how processing a fish properly even remotely compares to the private information you list.......

Old 03-19-2017, 09:00 AM   #14
niko

i'm pretty sure nat geo doesn't want to show the general public how a tuna gets processed. the peta/pew crowd would lose their minds, that might be fun

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #15
beamie

Kind of like when they were showing the harpoon boat they never mention the whole zapper thing and instant death to the fish. Don't think the public would go for that.........

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #16
Guppy
User

They'd love watching me stomp blue fish on the head with the heel on my knee highs, hook come out easy after that move....
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #17
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
i'm pretty sure nat geo doesn't want to show the general public how a tuna gets processed. the peta/pew crowd would lose their minds, that might be fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
Kind of like when they were showing the harpoon boat they never mention the whole zapper thing and instant death to the fish. Don't think the public would go for that.........

All true, but it is NatGeo and reality TV...........

Old 03-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #18
niko

Reality my ass
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:53 PM   #19
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I find it difficult to see how processing a fish properly even remotely compares to the private information you list.......

Why would anyone of them want to teach the viewers how to properly prep a fish, rig a dead/stick bait or rig tackle ???
It's the difference between guys who know what they are doing and making $ and those who don't and the fish ending up as cat food.
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #20
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
They'd love watching me stomp blue fish on the head with the heel on my knee highs, hook come out easy after that move....
Did Clammer teach you that one
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:35 AM   #21
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
Reality my ass
Can't watch it, just does nothing for me, IMHO one of the best fishing shows ever was the Spanish Fly; man do I miss that show.
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 AM   #22
Clammer

notice I said nothing Bob ><><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 03-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #23
bassballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Can't watch it, just does nothing for me, IMHO one of the best fishing shows ever was the Spanish Fly; man do I miss that show.
Spanish fly was the all time great fishing show. Theres your difference. Wicked Tuna is not a Fishing show. Its a reality show about tuna fishing.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassballer View Post
Spanish fly was the all time great fishing show. Theres your difference. Wicked Tuna is not a Fishing show. Its a reality show about tuna fishing.
I also liked Walkers Cay Chronicles.

On Wicked Tuna, the captains never, ever haggle price with the buyer. On the show, the buyer says "I'll give you $X a pound", and the captain says "deal". There is never any back and forth. Is that how it goes in real life?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #25
Rockfish9

Quote:
I am sure it is largely scripted.

This season's premiere, the kid on the Pinwheel supposedly fought a 500 pounder for 12 hours. If that wasn't scripted, that's pretty cool.

I am sure they get some kind of compensation like that, plus I am sure that with the TV exposure, the captains are selling merchandise on their websites and get appearance fees now. At one point it was the highest rated show on that network (National Geographic?).
12 hours and the fish was primo..perfect core..I've cooked 'em in 45 minutes...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #26
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Jose' was awesome... X2 on missing that...I only got sucked into watching W.T. because there was NOTHIING else on.. and I needed to be bored to sleep..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #27
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassballer View Post
Wicked Tuna is not a Fishing show. Its a reality show about tuna fishing.
BINGO! Anyone who thinks that WT is a fishing show doesn't really know fishing. I've spoken to a couple of the WT captains over the years and been filled in on some of the inner-workings of how they "get the shot" for the show. I never looked at the show the same after getting a look behind the curtain and pretty much never watch it now. Even my 4-year-old son finds it boring and he'll watch anything fishing-related on TV.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
12 hours and the fish was primo..perfect core..I've cooked 'em in 45 minutes...
The exertion causes some kind of acid buildup or something? I hadn't seen a fight nearly that long in the whole series, my wife was wondering if it would effect the quality of the meat.

Do you fish for them a lot? Must be something to see such an animal. Amazing beauty and power. I have a few small yellowfins under my belt, nothing like that. I also liked seeing the whales last night, lots of whales in some scenes..

I get that it's scripted and heavily edited, and I'm sure that experienced tuna fisherman find some of it laughably un-realistic.

I'm not watching it as a "how-to" instruction video for catching giants. But especially as an ignoramus, I do find a few aspects of the show to be entertaining and worth watching. I dunno, for me, it's worth watching just to see the wildlife, the beautiful New England harbors they go in and out of, and getting some kind of glimpse into what it's like...watching them catch bait, how the winner might catch a bakers' dozen fish over an entire season, seeing how much hard work goes into it, how hard it must be in the dark, in stormy weather..

And they are getting better with the photography - more underwater shots, more drone shots from above.

And I like watching TJ's Rottweillers go berserk every time they hook up.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #29
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Being from Gloucester I have watched a few of the landings and witnessed the filming of "Takes" to get the best reactions. It is entertainment and the scenery coming in and out of our harbor and river is very cool.

"Twitch....Twitch....Twitch....WHAM!"
spinncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #30
buckman

Quote:
I also liked Walkers Cay Chronicles.

On Wicked Tuna, the captains never, ever haggle price with the buyer. On the show, the buyer says "I'll give you $X a pound", and the captain says "deal". There is never any back and forth. Is that how it goes in real life?
No , in real life you find out a week or more after you catch it , what you are getting and you're almost always disappointed .
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote