Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #31
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Gee, if a bear, coyote or any other land "predator" attacks a human, it is usually "put down" because that animal has made a connection between humans and food/prey.
Now these are just animals that "don't know any better".
Quite the opposite, the animals know exactly what they're doing. Instinct is telling them to survive. They're put down not just because they're a threat but also because their lives are not valued the same as people.

A human killer may know what they are doing or they may have mental issues. Regardless we do have a system to deal with these issues in place that when enforced, seems to keep them from commiting further harm. We do this because we value humans more than animals, even if the human is behaving as an animal.

The bigger issue are the situations where bad decisions let the wrong out at the wrong time.

-spence
Old 12-18-2007, 04:44 PM   #32
EarnedStripes44

Now as far as theory is concerned, an eye for an eye, sounds pretty logical and sure some heinous crimes warrant heinous penalties. But the practice and application is where my objections lie. Can any of you death penalty proponents guarantee with absolute certainty, that an innocent man will not be executed. If an innocent man is incarcerated, he can at the very least be released and the state can make amends. The inherent finality of a death sentence unreservedly obliterates any chance at righting a wrong. Now all of you, if you will for a moment, imagine the horror, dread and pained anguished of an innocent man, awaiting his execution at the hands of the State - and what about his family. Is he not a victim of a state sanctioned heinous crime?

The bottom line is, unless the courts can unconditionally guarantee (in practice, because as we know, theory does not guarantee equitable and fair application of law) that an innocent man will never be put to death, can one justify state sanctioned murder.

Anything else is just vindictive bloodlusting hog wash and quite frankly, is beside the point.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:49 PM   #33
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip N View Post
Libs are anti death penalty for murderers, yet they have no problem aborting innocent babies. Makes me scratch my head.....
...And the Conservatives are pro death penalty, and pro life. Hmmm. I think we're both scratching our heads on that one.

I thought is more about letting a women decide what she wants to do with her own within the realms of "privacy". It has nothing to with babies, more about the government overriding a women's decision to exercise self determination.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:58 PM   #34
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip N View Post
Libs are anti death penalty for murderers, yet they have no problem aborting innocent babies. Makes me scratch my head.....
I can't wait for Spence's reply on that....

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 12-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #35
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

No Lib for sure, but imho the better punishment is lifetime in prison.
Alone in a 6x8 cell with just enough food and water to keep them alive.
Maybe an hour outside each day but that's it.
Let them think about what they've done to the victim and they're family every day for the rest of their lives.

Death is too quick and not a deterrent, especially not in crimes of passion.

" Choose Life "
Old 12-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #36
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnedStripes44 View Post
...And the Conservatives are pro death penalty, and pro life. Hmmm. I think we're both scratching our heads on that one.

I thought is more about letting a women decide what she wants to do with her own within the realms of "privacy". It has nothing to with babies, more about the government overriding a women's decision to exercise self determination.
so, killing for a heinous crime, bad
killing for a womans right to privacy, good?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 12-18-2007, 05:13 PM   #37
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

How about going Pro-choice on Both...The woman can choose and the Victims Families can choose

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-18-2007, 05:18 PM   #38
EarnedStripes44

If a woman is raped, she gets knocked up. Should she not be able to exercise self-determination? The government should tell her what to do. Ohhh, I forgot were assuming that whats been growing for a mere 3 or 4 weeks within HER OWN BODY can survive outside the womb right?
Old 12-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #39
EarnedStripes44

and back to the original topic of the thread, killing as a heinous crime = LIFE IN PRISON

PRISON = no cakewalk and definitely no county jail, washing clothes, brushing teeth in the same toilet you s***. Colder in the winter, hotter in summer. Sure, your family can come visit you and your wife can come see you, too bad you can't smell her perfume through the 4 inch thick plexiglass. Sure, chokin the chicken a few times a week for the rest f one's life is very appealing, to bad memories of a women's touch fade. And god forbid you can't fight....

Anyone who believes that killers get off easy when they go to prison, has never been inside one. And when people say, prisoners thrive in jail, does that mean an extra hot plate for condensed tomato soup for your queen.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:10 PM   #40
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I can't wait for Spence's reply on that....
Pretty simple really. There's not much argument that someone commiting a crime is a person, while there is much argument as to when a collection of rapidly growing cells constitutes the same.

The irony isn't on the Left here as much as it's on the Right who proclaim a social burden to protect life, then push for executions domestically and don't flinch a bit at the rampant use of military might around the globe that causes tremendous suffering of the innocent...perhaps several orders of magnitude than what they see at home...when it's spun to be in the interest of their own.

-spence
Old 12-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #41
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnedStripes44 View Post
Anything else is just vindictive bloodlusting hog wash and quite frankly, is beside the point.
How about the Texas prosecutors who were (and still might be) awarded a plaque with two crossed syringes for a successful death sentence verdict?

Pretty sick IMHO.

-spence
Old 12-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #42
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Now that these sob's death sentences have been made life without parole sentences means that they now can come up for parole hearings. There is no such sentence as life without parole anywhere. Look at Chuck Manson, comes up every two years, doesn't get out, but comes up every two years. Isn't New Jersey the same state that the cop killer was on death row that all the celebs have been trying to get out of jail? Walked up to the cop laying on the ground, who had been shot, and pumped two more shots into him. Abu Mumia Jamal. Or do I have the wrong state?
That knock the governor took on the head is going to get him voted out of office. People are going to stop putting up with this bullchit.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 12-18-2007, 08:09 PM   #43
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Death is too quick and not a deterrent, especially not in crimes of passion.[/quote]

Death is a deterent, true punishment, no more no less.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 12-18-2007, 09:45 PM   #44
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Now that these sob's death sentences have been made life without parole sentences means that they now can come up for parole hearings. There is no such sentence as life without parole anywhere. Look at Chuck Manson, comes up every two years, doesn't get out, but comes up every two years....
That knock the governor took on the head is going to get him voted out of office. People are going to stop putting up with this bullchit.
I'm sure there will be a legal argument (as it will put some attorneys in the spotlight) over the validity of his commutations, but I doubt there's much chance a paroll board would let these guys go.

Don't expect Corazine to take many lumps over this. While many don't support aboloshing the death penalty, there are far fewer who would actively seek it's reinstatement.

Oh, and Jimmy...I just read that the bill had a Republican co-sponsor. I guess you must hate them too

-spence
Old 12-19-2007, 08:41 AM   #45
thortum

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
1) It deters that individual from ever killing again (crime)
2) It deters that individual from escaping (crime)
3) It deters bleeding heart politicians from commuting that indivduals sentence (should be a crime)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
No Lib for sure, but imho the better punishment is lifetime in prison.
Alone in a 6x8 cell with just enough food and water to keep them alive.
Maybe an hour outside each day but that's it.
Let them think about what they've done to the victim and they're family every day for the rest of their lives.

Death is too quick and not a deterrent, especially not in crimes of passion.
I have no problem with either of the above quotes.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:52 PM   #46

It would take me too much time here to list all my reasons.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #47
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by 179 View Post
It would take me too much time here to list all my reasons.
Perhaps you could write them down on your own (fuming the entire time of course) and submit a summarized list for us to make fun of.

-spence
Old 02-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #48
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Perhaps you could write them down on your own (fuming the entire time of course) and submit a summarized list for us to make fun of.

-spence

Old 02-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #49
WoodyCT

My .02

Decades of: living in a cage, little fresh air, little exercise, crappy food, tedious 'jobs', constant fear of prison reprisal, the occasional brutal sodomization....

VS

a quick and painless end.

He'd be better off dead.
A life time of fear, suffering and pain is what he deserves.

Killing others, for any reason, makes us weak. Wrong is wrong.

UNLESS YOU ARE A REPUBLICAN AND YOU AND/OR YOUR REPUBLICAN FRIENDS CAN PROFIT FROM IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1/20/09 1/20/09 1/20/09 1/20/09 1/20/09 1/20/09

Woody
Old 02-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #50

Well how about this one to start off with.

1. I like keeping MY Money. If you and your lib buddies feel guilty about not supporting the career welfare, drug addicts, sex change candidates, etc, etc types then by all means write a check. I already loose 45% of my income to various taxes Hillary is not getting a penny more.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #51
WoodyCT

Stereotypes

#4 06-08-2007, 10:54 AM
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish Join Date: Aug 2003

I was going to craft a lengthy reply but just dont have the energy. Nothing POs me more than stereotypes.

Isn't hating ALL DEMOCRATS stereotypical thinking?

Woody

PS 1/20/09
Old 02-05-2008, 08:03 AM   #52
PaulS

Quote:
Well how about this one to start off with.

1. I like keeping MY Money. If you and your lib buddies feel guilty about not supporting the career welfare, drug addicts, sex change candidates, etc, etc types then by all means write a check. I already loose 45% of my income to various taxes Hillary is not getting a penny more.
Sounds like your so miserable you might consider a new country to live in.

Given that NC receives back about $1.10 for every $1.00 in taxes they pay to the fed, does it suck to collect welfare and not pay your own way?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:44 AM   #53

PaulS- Like I said if you feel as though you are not paying your fair share in taxes you can always write additional checks to the IRS or maybe to the RI democratic house and senate. I am sure both will find very creative ways to spend your money. After all the Democrats have done such a fantastic job in RI why not give them more cash?

BTW- I lived my whole life in RI up to about 3-yrs ago great state, horrible political landscape.

As far as me moving out of country isn't that a Democratic tactic?

Are you ready for No. 2
Old 02-06-2008, 07:15 AM   #54
spence

Quote:
Are you ready for No. 2
No, sorry but I haven't made fun of number 1 yet. Been busy with work...soon.

-spence
Old 02-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #55
PaulS

Quote:
PaulS- Like I said if you feel as though you are not paying your fair share in taxes you can always write additional checks to the IRS or maybe to the RI democratic house and senate. I am sure both will find very creative ways to spend your money. After all the Democrats have done such a fantastic job in RI why not give them more cash?

BTW- I lived my whole life in RI up to about 3-yrs ago great state, horrible political landscape.

As far as me moving out of country isn't that a Democratic tactic?

Are you ready for No. 2

I wasn't complaining about the amount of taxes I pay, you were. The amounts that I pay to this great country is nothing compared to the amount of benefits I receive. To bad you hate the country as much as you do (now isn't that a repub. tactic - tell someone they hate the country?)

I don't know of anyone who moved out of the country to avoid taxes but then I really haven't met anyone who sounded as miserable as you.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #56
spence

Quote:
You know, upon reflection I'd say I have to agree with your thoughts.

Our welfare state has got to end. We're giving food stamps to US military families, tax breaks to an oil industry making record profits and subsidies to help farmers grow corn for ethanol. And this notion of a "safety net" to help someone at the bottom become a more productive, taxpaying self sustaining member of society? Rubbish, it's simply not the American way. The world needs ditch diggers too.

Granted the taxpayer money spent on helping drug addicts recover is extremely small, but if we just let them kill themselves the money could be better put to use to buy body armor for Guardsmen in Iraq or perhaps earmarked to fund a badly needed highway project between Mohall and Upham North Dakota.

The sex change issue really rubs me the wrong way. Yes, again the money here is pretty small, and usually granted by the State rather than the Feds. Also, I guess you should rightly ignore the fact that there are real medically diagnosed disorders regarding to gender, and that many bills to provide such services also cover babies born with multiple sex organs...

But enough of all that. Legal recognition of someone who may be medically transgendered is akin to morally justifying sex with sheep, rabbits and any other member of the phylum Chordata. This slippery slope must be fought will wild abandon lest we all succumb to the gay agenda. Hell soon they'll be legislating homosexuality among our children!

And you're right on that it's your money.

It's not like your opportunity to be successful was built on the backs of others. Servicemen from poor families who fought to keep us free simply because it was the right thing to do, factory workers who have been poisoned or injured to produce the goods that we consume and trade in, wealthy investors risking entire fortunes, service workers living below the poverty line who clean the crap from your hotel room toilet or pick the lettuce for your salad, Middle Class tax dollars that have helped to build your roads, defend you in wars, insure the banks that loan you money, educate your kids, fight to regulate those polluting your children,

I see that you are insulated from the environment in which you live. Is it your money, you've done it all on your own and you owe nobody nothing.

Perhaps more importantly, we need to do everything to keep Hillary from office. Instead we need to preserve the Republican legacy of the Bush Presidency. Extreme fiscal restraint, limited Government power and a foreign policy founded on a respect of rule of law.

Let them libs in office and I tell you, these good times are going to end.

-spence
Old 02-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #57
Bronko

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You know, upon reflection I'd say I have to agree with your thoughts.

Our welfare state has got to end. We're giving food stamps to US military families, tax breaks to an oil industry making record profits and subsidies to help farmers grow corn for ethanol. And this notion of a "safety net" to help someone at the bottom become a more productive, taxpaying self sustaining member of society? Rubbish, it's simply not the American way. The world needs ditch diggers too.

Granted the taxpayer money spent on helping drug addicts recover is extremely small, but if we just let them kill themselves the money could be better put to use to buy body armor for Guardsmen in Iraq or perhaps earmarked to fund a badly needed highway project between Mohall and Upham North Dakota.

The sex change issue really rubs me the wrong way. Yes, again the money here is pretty small, and usually granted by the State rather than the Feds. Also, I guess you should rightly ignore the fact that there are real medically diagnosed disorders regarding to gender, and that many bills to provide such services also cover babies born with multiple sex organs...

But enough of all that. Legal recognition of someone who may be medically transgendered is akin to morally justifying sex with sheep, rabbits and any other member of the phylum Chordata. This slippery slope must be fought will wild abandon lest we all succumb to the gay agenda. Hell soon they'll be legislating homosexuality among our children!

And you're right on that it's your money.

It's not like your opportunity to be successful was built on the backs of others. Servicemen from poor families who fought to keep us free simply because it was the right thing to do, factory workers who have been poisoned or injured to produce the goods that we consume and trade in, wealthy investors risking entire fortunes, service workers living below the poverty line who clean the crap from your hotel room toilet or pick the lettuce for your salad, Middle Class tax dollars that have helped to build your roads, defend you in wars, insure the banks that loan you money, educate your kids, fight to regulate those polluting your children,

I see that you are insulated from the environment in which you live. Is it your money, you've done it all on your own and you owe nobody nothing.

Perhaps more importantly, we need to do everything to keep Hillary from office. Instead we need to preserve the Republican legacy of the Bush Presidency. Extreme fiscal restraint, limited Government power and a foreign policy founded on a respect of rule of law.

Let them libs in office and I tell you, these good times are going to end.

-spence
Over the top sarcasm. Verbal shell game on social programs. Cash grab from successful corporations. Pity for "lettuce pickers" and "hotel maids"(See Criminal Aliens). Inability to control Bush Derangement Syndrome (BDS).

Reading right from the handbook are we?

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 02-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #58

"The amounts that I pay to this great country is nothing compared to the amount of benefits I receive"

PaulS then you really need to get the checkbook out today and write that check we have been talking about, why do you have to wait for Hillary or Obama to take it from you? I think you would sleep better tonight and feel better about yourself in the morning if you just do it now on your own. I think 10-20% above what you will pay this year would be the magic number to please them.

I do have a quick question for you. Are tax increases okay across the board or should only the wealthy be punished? Is it ok for you to ante up the money for the Dems proposals or should it be paid for on the backs of others?

After all Hillary has a dream of building a Woodstock museum somebody has got to pay for it.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #59
spence

Quote:
Are tax increases okay across the board or should only the wealthy be punished? Is it ok for you to ante up the money for the Dems proposals or should it be paid for on the backs of others?
More nonsense...

Why do you put this on the shoulder of Dem proposals? President Bush and the Republican Congress have been on a spending bender for most of his Presidency. There are "big government Republicans" just like "big government liberals" just like there are "fiscal conservatives" and "Blue Dog Democrats".

Your continued fixation on liberalisim as the source of an intrusive and excessive government simply isn't founded in reality.

And punishment is a silly rhetorical device. We have a progressive tax system precisely because the middle class doesn't generate the revenue to sustain the government that we all benefit from. And guess what? Those with wealth have a better ability to use their money to make money off of the improved infrastructure.

Hell, would we even have a Middle Class without the rich paying an oversized percentage of the federal budget? What would the wealthy have done without a growing Middle Class the past century to drive our consumer driven economy and staff the factories that generated such incredible wealth and prosperity?

There's trickle up as well as trickle down. It's not about one idiology being right and the other wrong. That's ignorant.

It's about the right balance...

-spence
Old 02-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #60
striperman36
Old Guy

MAn, spence, you should have written for FDR. You might have had to tone it down little to frame it correctly.

Bill