Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-29-2019, 09:48 AM   #1
Jim in CT

climate change

i spend more time outside than at least 90% of americans. and i love animals more than 99% of americans. i spent a ton of money a few years ago to see something i’ve always dreamed of seeing, huge brown bears eating salmon at a waterfall in alaska, probably the coolest thing i’ve ever done.

i think we have a responsibility to be as clean as we reasonably can. I think things are changing, and i think man is having an impact. i think this needs to be studied

but when i see things like we saw this week, where all the lefties said the amazon fires meant our lungs were burning, and we could lose 20% of the worlds oxygen...-and then NASA says the fire activity is within average historical levels, i cant help but wonder what else that side is being dishonest about. there’s a ton of
money and power at stake. let’s get it right.

and when the public leaders of the movement fly around in private jets from one mansion to another, that also makes me skeptical. a lot of them don’t seem to believe what they are saying.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 08-29-2019 at 10:08 AM..
Old 08-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
Rockfish9

yup, the world is changing. it has been changing non stop since its birth...it will continue to change long after we all have departed..otherwise T Rex and others of his ilk would still be roaming the earth..you worry about wild fires in the Amazon, while each day millions of acres of trees are cleared/harvested to make houses or harvest lumber..agree we all need to do our part, but until man as a species ditches his automobiles, stops clearing the remaining forests, stops using water ways for disposing of his waste and stops building condos and high rises, you can do all the studies in the world and all you are going to accomplish is giving a bunch of people who have never worked a day in their lives something to argue about.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Old 08-29-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

There's One Wrong Statistic Everyone's Sharing About The Devastating Amazon Fires
SCOTT DENNING,
Fires in the Amazon rainforest have captured attention worldwide in recent days.

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, who took office in 2019, pledged in his campaign to reduce environmental protection and increase agricultural development in the Amazon, and he appears to have followed through on that promise.
The resurgence of forest clearing in the Amazon, which had decreased more than 80 percent following a peak in 2004, is alarming for many reasons.

Tropical forests harbor many species of plants and animals found nowhere else. They are important refuges for indigenous people, and contain enormous stores of carbon as wood and other organic matter that would otherwise contribute to the climate crisis.

Some media accounts have suggested that fires in the Amazon also threaten the atmospheric oxygen that we breathe. French President Emmanuel Macron tweeted on Aug. 22 that "the Amazon rain forest – the lungs which produces 20 percent of our planet's oxygen – is on fire."

The oft-repeated claim that the Amazon rainforest produces 20 percent of our planet's oxygen is based on a misunderstanding. In fact nearly all of Earth's breathable oxygen originated in the oceans, and there is enough of it to last for millions of years. There are many reasons to be appalled by this year's Amazon fires, but depleting Earth's oxygen supply is not one of them.

The full explanation of the Global Oxygen cycle is here:https://www.sciencealert.com/there-s...g-amazon-fires

In sum, Brazil's reversal on protecting the Amazon does not meaningfully threaten atmospheric oxygen.

Even a huge increase in forest fires would produce changes in oxygen that are difficult to measure. There's enough oxygen in the air to last for millions of years, and the amount is set by geology rather than land use. The fact that this upsurge in deforestation threatens some of the most biodiverse and carbon-rich landscapes on Earth is reason enough to oppose it.

The Brazilians are concerned about it and it is their country.

So, when you claim to be concerned about the environment and saying that things have always changed, scientists estimate that between .01 and .1 % of species become extinct each year.

So what there are lots of species, you say.

Consider bees, Honeybees are critical to the food supply. Like tomatoes, cucumbers, blueberries, squash, almonds, and melons of all types? Thank the bees. It's estimated that of the 100 agricultural food crops grown around the world, crops that supply 90% of the world's food, bees pollinate 70 of them. There has been a mass die-off of bees in Brazil also and the suspected cause is the loosening of pesticide regulation.

All this stuff matters a little bit, just like herring runs, Striped bass spawning habitat, bunker, whiting and weakfish, it adds up to a problem for the world. If it was a fish you would probably be worried about it.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-30-2019, 07:05 AM   #4
wdmso

Trump officials voice anger at G7 focus on ‘niche’ issues such as climate change.

Trump administration to relax restrictions on methane, a powerful greenhouse gas.

Makinging America great again ...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-19-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
detbuch

Old 09-20-2019, 09:06 PM   #6
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I guess you needed to share that with the 4 million climate change protesters today, they must all be wrong and of course the majority of the scientific community.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:32 AM   #7
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I guess you needed to share that with the 4 million climate change protesters today, they must all be wrong and of course the majority of the scientific community.
lotta dummies out there that want a three day weekend I guess...
Old 09-21-2019, 04:23 AM   #8
wdmso

Since 1970's north america has lost 3 billion birds Scott your correct a lot of dummies they see no evil speak no evil hear no evil .. rolled back 85 envirmental regulations opened up more publicly lands to oil and gas for basically free..its clear who the dummies are https://www.google.com/amp/s/relay.n...-north-america
Old 09-21-2019, 06:25 AM   #9
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Since 1970's north america has lost 3 billion birds Scott

that's because they don't live forever Beto
Old 09-21-2019, 09:24 AM   #10
detbuch

Quote:
I posted it because I don't know the truth one way or the other. I saw the link and was bored and thought, OK, another one of these, maybe I'll wade through another hour and actually learn something. Can't say that I did. To use a weasel worded double negative (which I generally don't approve of) the video was not unconvincing.

So, I thought, let me post it and get some commentary from others, like Rockhound, about what's right or wrong about it. I expected that you and wdmso would make some negative comment which completely avoided the content of the video, and was not disappointed.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #11
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I hope they all got notes from their parents.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #12
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I hope they all got notes from their parents.
they get carbon credits toward safe spaces for participating
Old 09-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #13
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
they get carbon credits toward safe spaces for participating
Please print this post of yours and give it to your daughters.
Thanks.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #14
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Please print this post of yours and give it to your daughters.
Thanks.
mine were all in school where they were supposed to be
Old 09-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #15
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
mine were all in school where they were supposed to be
Mail it to them. Let them know how you feel about this issue.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:57 PM   #16
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Let me say I skipped high school many times and not to make an important statement on an issue the entire world knows (at least those with a brain) is a major problem, mine involved beer and beach.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #17
scottw

Quote:
Let me say I skipped high school many times and not to make an important statement on an issue the entire world knows (at least those with a brain) is a major problem, mine involved beer and beach.
well, you didn't have people telling you the earth was going kaput is 12 years back then sooo...

at least you are here...now...making important statements
Old 09-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #18
detbuch

Thought this was an interesting reply in a video on global warming:

This to all the school kids going on strike for climate change:
You're the first generation who've required air-conditioning in every classroom, you want TV in every room and your classes are all computerized.
You spend all day and night on electronic devices, more than ever you don't walk or ride bikes to school but, you arrive in caravans of private SUV cars that choke suburban roads.
Worse than rush-hour traffic…you're the biggest consumers of manufactured goods ever, and update perfectly good expensive luxury items to stay trendy.
Your entertainment comes to electric devices. Furthermore, the people driving your protests are the same people who insist on artificially inflating the population growth through immigration which, increases the need for energy manufacturing and transport.
The more people we have, the more forest and bush land we clear, the more of the environment that's destroyed.
How about this?
Tell your teachers to switch off the airconditioning,
Walk or ride to school,
Switch off your devices and read a book,
Make a sandwich instead of buying manufactured fast-food

No, none of this will happen because you're a virus of selfish, badly educated, virtue signaling little turds. Inspired by the adults around you who crave a feeling of having a noble cause while they indulge themselves in Western luxury and an unprecedented quality of life.
Wake up, grow up and shut up until you're sure of the facts before protesting.
Show less
Old 09-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #19
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Thought this was an interesting reply in a video on global warming:

This to all the school kids going on strike for climate change:
You're the first generation who've required air-conditioning in every classroom, you want TV in every room and your classes are all computerized.
You spend all day and night on electronic devices, more than ever you don't walk or ride bikes to school but, you arrive in caravans of private SUV cars that choke suburban roads.
Worse than rush-hour traffic…you're the biggest consumers of manufactured goods ever, and update perfectly good expensive luxury items to stay trendy.
Your entertainment comes to electric devices. Furthermore, the people driving your protests are the same people who insist on artificially inflating the population growth through immigration which, increases the need for energy manufacturing and transport.
The more people we have, the more forest and bush land we clear, the more of the environment that's destroyed.
How about this?
Tell your teachers to switch off the airconditioning,
Walk or ride to school,
Switch off your devices and read a book,
Make a sandwich instead of buying manufactured fast-food

No, none of this will happen because you're a virus of selfish, badly educated, virtue signaling little turds. Inspired by the adults around you who crave a feeling of having a noble cause while they indulge themselves in Western luxury and an unprecedented quality of life.
Wake up, grow up and shut up until you're sure of the facts before protesting.
Show less
What an #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:46 AM   #20
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
What an #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&.
Here's the video that inspired the reply:

Old 09-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #21
wdmso

Funny we can still have all those things with clean energy .. blame the children for the world adults built for them... basically hes saying STFU you should be thanking us you unappreciative brats
Old 09-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #22
detbuch

Quote:
Funny we can still have all those things with clean energy .. blame the children for the world adults built for them... basically hes saying STFU you should be thanking us you unappreciative brats
Basically he's saying something else and he doesn't resort to foul language as you and Spence do.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #23
wdmso

Quote:
Basically he's saying something else and he doesn't resort to foul language as you and Spence do.
Your funny.. everyone you present are always saying something else .. when their message is clear
Old 09-22-2019, 05:48 PM   #24
detbuch

Quote:
Your funny.. everyone you present are always saying something else .. when their message is clear
I thought his message was very clear. There is blatant hypocrisy in protesting against something when you enjoy and benefit from that which you criticize. Especially when you don't stop doing so, and you don't use other supposedly better means. And know all the facts and arguments pro and con, not just parrot that which you are spoon fed before you "protest."
Old 09-23-2019, 07:07 AM   #25
wdmso

There is blatant hypocrisy in protesting against something when you enjoy and benefit from that which you criticize.

Wow you really have no clue do you.. when it comes to climate change. It sad that children understand you can fix or try to fix the climate issues and still maintain the current standard of living we have ...
conservatives they want to go back to everything
in 1950s america except the climate and weather that comes with it ..

Last edited by wdmso; 09-23-2019 at 07:16 AM..
Old 09-23-2019, 07:13 AM   #26
scottw

Quote:

this is gold
Old 09-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #27
detbuch

Quote:
Wow you really have no clue do you.. when it comes to climate change.

I have some clues. Do you have all the clues?

It sad that children understand

It's sad that children are being used.

you can fix or try to fix the climate issues and still maintain the current standard of living we have ...
conservatives they want to go back to everything
in 1950s america except the climate and weather that comes with it ..
Am I supposed to be concerned about what "conservatives" want to go back to? Are you some expert on what "conservatives" want?

Have I ever said that you can't "fix climate issues and still maintain the current standard of living we have . . . "? Do you have a clue?
Old 09-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #28
wdmso

Quote:
Am I supposed to be concerned about what "conservatives" want to go back to? Are you some expert on what "conservatives" want?

Have I ever said that you can't "fix climate issues and still maintain the current standard of living we have . . . "? Do you have a clue?
You've never articulated your postition . Shocking should we not see the content you post as a clue. To your postition on things ? I am sorry if i drew the wrong conclusion
Old 09-23-2019, 06:34 PM   #29
detbuch

Quote:
You've never articulated your postition .

That should be a clue that I don't have one, certainly not an ideological one.

Shocking should we not see the content you post as a clue.

Well, one piece of content I've posted several times is that I am not convinced by either ideological side of human impact on climate. And some of the videos, etc., that I've posted on the issue have not denied warming trends, nor the advantage of renewable sources, even mentioning various non-fossil fuel solutions. Often, it seems that you don't even view what I present, nor, that if you do, that you understand it. I get a clue of that since you rarely actually discuss the content.

To your postition on things ? I am sorry if i drew the wrong conclusion
That's OK. I've come to expect that. What I find discouraging is that you seem to avoid actually discussing the content.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:04 PM   #30
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I’m thankful that Trump can only do damage to a global effort to address climate change for another four more years worse case. ALL nations agreed this was important, yet Trump being so much more intelligent than all the science, feels the Paris accord is BS.