Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 03-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
Bigcat

sales people

The wife and I were in a store yesterday,and the darned sales person was tailing us like were going to steal something.
If I could have gotten what I wanted elsewhere we would have walked out

Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
Bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
BrianS
Canal Junkie

Send a message via AIM to BrianS
I cant remeber the name - Is it Cardi's furniture right on the RI line going down 95?

We walked in looking for a couch, saleswoman came up, asked if she could help - we said the typical "just browsing" response.

She tailed us thru out the store.. Always about 50 feet behind...
We start to leave, noticed her getting closer, we sped up, she sped up...

She didnt give up till we hit the doors .... "Excuse me!!! Excuse me!! during the entire escape.

aim: SaltedBrian
BrianS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
Bigcat

Thats funny Brian. The wife and I were in there last year looking for a sofa and a woman chased us all over the place.
I bet it was the same women

Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
Bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
Jimbo

I think it's common in furniture stores. They work some kind of rotation, so if it's your turn, when your mark comes in you make sure if they want to buy something you get your commission.
I have a 17 year old daughter working in another aspect of sales, waitressing in a diner. She comes home every night with stories of people running up big bills and completely stiffing her on the tip. I guess I didn't realize how manyinconsiderate people are really "out there".
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
I cant remeber the name - Is it Cardi's furniture right on the RI line going down 95?

We walked in looking for a couch, saleswoman came up, asked if she could help - we said the typical "just browsing" response.

She didnt give up till we hit the doors .... "Excuse me!!! Excuse me!! during the entire escape.
Same thing I'd never go back

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
Katie
Scuttlebutt

Send a message via AIM to Katie Send a message via MSN to Katie Send a message via Skype™ to Katie
Quote:

I would of stopped, and said 'Excuse me, may i help you' besides that, its just desperate to make commission.

Wasajigifying -[ was - a - jig-i-fy-ing] - the concept of not knowing what the hell your saying.

My Photography Page!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:08 AM   #7
MAC

Quote:

LOL, thay can be ruthless can't they. You should have turned around quickly and growled at her.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:19 AM   #8
Backbeach Jake

Unhappy

Desperate is right. Most sales for commision folk make zip if they don't sell. If they don't sell, they draw against what they're expected to. Tough job.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:05 AM   #9
BrianS
Canal Junkie

Send a message via AIM to BrianS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
LOL, thay can be ruthless can't they. You should have turned around quickly and growled at her.
My wife has this thing about me acting odd in public.. Had I been alone, or for even more fun, someone like likwid, then it would of been more entertaining.

I love to get salespeoples hopes up... Then shatter them... Not ALL of them mind you.. just the obnxious ones..

aim: SaltedBrian
BrianS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:42 AM   #10
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Cardi's ha ha ha ha

Same thing happened to Bev and I about five months ago. Guy asked if he could help and we said no not yet. (Bev had allready seen couch and seats she wanted on line and had viewed in another store). Went from department to department until he was cutoff upstair on the top floor by the design people that lease the space. Female running show on top floor wouldn't let him enter. We did buy there because we saved $400.00 bucks against the price in Rockland.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #11
Slick Moedee

I think this applies to most of the furniture stores. Wife an I were buying a new bedroom set in Jordan's, and I counted 54 times a sales person asked us if we were all set in an hour and a half. Not quite being stalked, but the 'I'll let you know when I ready Sparky" rolled of the tongue more than once that afternoon.
Slick Moedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #12
Jimbo

We wanted to buy furniture from one of the outlets in N. Carolina, but you need model nnumbers. I knew a store that advertised the brand we wanted so we took the whole family. I had to keep distracting the saleslady so my wife could get the model numbers. I guess I pulled a BrianS, because I never lied to the lady. She asked if I was sure I was going to buy the diningroom set. I said, "Positive". She asked if I would need it delivered. I said "Definitely, and as soon as possible." She asked how we'd be paying, I said, "Probably a certified check." Knowing from when we bought bedroom furniture from N.C. that furniture people do not let go of the spec sheets for what you're looking at, I said to my wife, "You know, I'm just thinking this might not all fit in the room. Maybe they'll make a copy of the sheets for the stuff we want and I can go home and make up a floor plan and make sure it will fit." The saleslady copped an attitude. I said, "Look, if I go home and diagram the room and have the measurements so I know everything will fit, I'll make a downpayment and place the order today. You must have a copying mahine here, could you at least make copies?" My wife was shocked. Two minutes later we had copies and were on our way. Two hours later I placed my order in N.C. at a savings of over $850.00 from the store's quote. Hey, all's fair in love and furniture buying.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:47 PM   #13
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

You guys should bite the bullet and join Direct Buy, if you're going to make major appliance/furniture/remodeling purchases over the next few years.

No sales pressure, unlimited browsing in peace, and the savings can be incredible. I can't disclose specifics, but it's well worth the membership fee if you're going to be buying some big ticket items.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
Homerun04
Which Way Did They Go

Send a message via AIM to Homerun04
It all goes back to how they are compensated....all behavior can be controlled through how someone is motivated...

"You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give"
Homerun04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #15
sok
North Shore Lurker

I walked into a furniture store once in the last ten years.
With my ex.
We were assaulted no less than 12 times in the space of five minutes.
Out the door in six minutes. Bought somewhere else.
I can actually see how someone can make a living in sales.
BUT.........
If I had to sell furniture (the way they do) for a living I would want someone to kill me. Twice.
sok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #16
Skitterpop

Sales people succhhk I`m one

where they are more aggressive is a management thing .... ask to be left alone....salespeople are prodded not just to make money but greet and try to work with a customer..... some managerial styles are barbaric....

and yes they Saurk

Good health and family
Skitterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:04 AM   #17
taJon

I always give them the runaround at the car dealers just for that reason. Although i have dealt with a few good ones over the years. Its a shame that I haven't been able to buy anything from them because they always are at the most expensive places. Atlanta Porsche and Reading, Mercedes of chatanooga. oh well. the ride was fun

boatless................can I have a ride?
taJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:05 AM   #18
Duke41
got gas?

What a tough job sales is. I use to sell timeshares in newport RI in the early 80"s it was fun and lucrative but it could be brutal. "We are just here for the gift". I was making about 65,000 a year, more than my old man in 83-85. But I did lie and treat people like %$%$%$%$ I will admit it. Believe me karma got me back for years afterwards. Now I am a good boy.
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #19
sok
North Shore Lurker

I was offered a sales job a few years ago selling swing stage.
(Window washing rigs that hang off buildings on wires.)
The day they cut out all overtime. Asked them what the pay would be.
"We might be able to get you back to what you were making."
I went out and got another job.
I give anyone credit that can actually last 10,20,30 years in a job like that. And still be a human being. Not just a professional liar.
Rare few.
sok is offline   Reply With Quote