Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Muzik

Muzik Muzik Forums - by popular request...

Old 11-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Jerry Covers JT

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
tautog

Jerry did a great cover but if I'm not mistaken Marvin Gaye recorded it before JT.
Jerry's version was always my favorite and heard it live several times

[SIGPIC][/SIGPI I cut my deck to the Queen of Spades, but the cards were all the same
tautog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

your right it was originally a motown song. jerrys guitar really sounds sweet . i used to catch the jgb whenever they were around

www.afterhoursplugs.com

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
Old 11-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

how about some other covers

I love his Dear Prudence, but the one I found on youtube isn't that great quality
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

this is different

Old 11-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #6
tautog

There's so many covers that he did including numerous ones of Dylan's.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPI I cut my deck to the Queen of Spades, but the cards were all the same
Old 11-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

JGB- my favorite cover band ever ... trying to find live at the keystone with merl saunders doing harder they come...

www.afterhoursplugs.com

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
luds
Night Stalker

Just so you guys know JT is Justin Timberlake now.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds View Post
Yeah, but he doesn't bring sexy back like Jerry did

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds View Post

www.afterhoursplugs.com

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

Old 11-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #11
tautog

Saw Jerry and Merl a few times in the early 70's when they had the Legion of Mary. One of my favorite covers they did.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
JGB- my favorite cover band ever ... trying to find live at the keystone with merl saunders doing harder they come...

I have that CD
Old 11-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I have very eclectic music taste from African Ju Ju music to Avant Garde Jazz to Death Metal and spent years living with Dead Heads on the east coast and San Francisco and I will never, ever understand what you guys hear in this guy. If I walked into a bar and heard that cover of How Sweet it Is, I would walk out in 2 minutes. I usually find something I like in most guitar players but find NOTHING in his style or sound I like. Its devoid of any taste, feeling, or anything remotely musically interesting. If I sat down with Jerry I bet we'd have a lot if similarities in our musical taste, from what I read about him, but to me he is the equivalent of a mediocre player with 3-4 yrs under his belt. I wish I could like him and believe me I tried. I listened to all the links you posted but man, its like eating stale white bread.
Ok - I'll now take the beating..............

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #14
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Continued...
I mean if you like a country-ish music from a guy with a lousy voice and plays guitar,,,,why not all the adoration for this guy? His guitar playing is so MUCH better that Jerry, does just as much drugs, is a lifelong rebel and wrote some brillaint tunes. I hate to compare music, but isnt this just better than anything Jerry has ever done? His vocal phrasing is brilliant, his playing innovative........

Old 11-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #15
goosefish

I saw Garcia play with stand-up bassist John Kahn at the Orpheum in Boston. I think it was in '85. It was my first show I'd ever really been to. I'm pretty sure I was bored out of my mind. I was just about to start the 9th grade and wasn't ready yet for music that chill and American roots.

goosefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #16
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Continued...
I mean if you like a country-ish music from a guy with a lousy voice and plays guitar,,,,why not all the adoration for this guy? His guitar playing is so MUCH better that Jerry, does just as much drugs, is a lifelong rebel and wrote some brillaint tunes. I hate to compare music, but isnt this just better than anything Jerry has ever done? His vocal phrasing is brilliant, his playing innovative........

You think that geetare picking stoner is better on the 6 string than Jerry?!?!?!?!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #17
tautog

I guess that's why there are many different kinds of music because it's a choice of what you like to listen to.

I guess growing up in those years kind of put myself and my friends into that type of music. To say he's not a "good" guitarist might be because he's not in your type of music. Rolling Stone lists him in the top 100 list of rock guitarists (#13) which puts him in good company.
I am not just a "Deadhead" fan as I love Blues,Jazz,some Country and Rock. You say it's boring and it might be to you but I equate African Ju Ju and Death Metal the same as sitting on the throne and only farting, a waste of time for me.
America is a great place where we can listen to what we want when we want.
PS. I didn't see Willie Nelson on any list

Old 11-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #18
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

without a doubt

Old 11-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #19
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

everyone is entitled to an opinion....i guess you don't hear jerry. willie a better guitarist???? really now.......

www.afterhoursplugs.com

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

Old 11-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #20
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
everyone is entitled to an opinion....i guess you don't hear jerry. willie a better guitarist???? really now.......

Not a fair argument for me to start since I dont believe in "better or best" its all taste. I just Willie as a comparison since he plays roots music and has a bad voice. He is a talented guitarist.

Don, I just listened to this clip and no suprise it does nothing for me. Its a bunch of blues cliches played with little emotion. He might as well be doing his taxes. Where the FEELING?
Great players to me make memorable lines. Can you sing a Jerry guitar line? Does he improvise with great melodies? Take a solo say the Allman Bros - I can sing both solos to Blue Sky. They play amazing improvised melodies. The melodies could stand on their own. I cant say that for any Jerry solo. It sound like "notes" and not a melody.
I hope you guys are not insulted by this. I appreciate your opinions and as I said I wish I could get it. I've been playing music for close to 28 yrs, teaching, playing, analyzing solos, and just never connected with Jerry or teh Dead. I can sing along to Sugar Magnolia or Tr#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g when the come on the radio but give me CCR any day over the Dead. I just never got the excitment people have for them. My buddies would play Dead bootlegs for hours and it was like background music on an elavator.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #21
chrisjoe13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post

Don, I just listened to this clip and no suprise it does nothing for me. Its a bunch of blues cliches played with little emotion. He might as well be doing his taxes. Where the FEELING?
Great players to me make memorable lines. Can you sing a Jerry guitar line? Does he improvise with great melodies? Take a solo say the Allman Bros - I can sing both solos to Blue Sky. They play amazing improvised melodies. The melodies could stand on their own. I cant say that for any Jerry solo. It sound like "notes" and not a melody.
I hope you guys are not insulted by this. I appreciate your opinions and as I said I wish I could get it. I've been playing music for close to 28 yrs, teaching, playing, analyzing solos, and just never connected with Jerry or teh Dead. I can sing along to Sugar Magnolia or Tr#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g when the come on the radio but give me CCR any day over the Dead. I just never got the excitment people have for them. My buddies would play Dead bootlegs for hours and it was like background music on an elavator.
Not insulted at all, just dumbfounded because to me, Jerry does all of the things you aren't hearing, better than anyone else: emotion, playing the melodies in every which way, actually playing the words with his guitar but with even more emotion at times. (the radio versions of Sugar mag and tr#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& are super-cheesy).
The whole Deadhead thing is amazing though. I think unprecedented in modern society and probably never to happen again. People were nuts for him. To each his own (of course).
chrisjoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #22
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

thats cuz willies not rock........and if im not mistaken that list also has the Ramones guitarist on it and Eddie Van Halen is something like 70. I dont give it much creedence.

Realize that I like country/roots/folk but I think the dead and jerry are very bad at it. If you compare them to others of any of those genres, I think they're medicocre. I agree with what your saying and it takes all kinds. But usually even music I dont like, I can at least appreciate but never could with Jerry or the Dead.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #23
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I'd agree with RIJ ONLY in the context of willie being a good guitarist. he's still pretty quick and clean at ~80 today.....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #24
tautog

Actually Garcia was a very good banjo player when he started music. He did some great work in a band called "Old and in the Way". He's also pretty good on acoustic. I'm not saying Willie"what taxes" Nelson isn't good because I do like some of his music.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #25
Nebe

Bam..
Old 11-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #26
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I think the best term I could use is "meandering"
But I guess all that wander are not lost! Exlpains his playing to me. You mess around long enough your bound to hit a few pretty notes.

I mean heres a guy playing "deadish" music better than the Dead did in all their years. Maybe Im nuts buts the Dead are like amatuer hour compared to this?
Isnt this Dead-ish???

Old 11-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #27
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

im just crazy? Man I FEEL THIS. This how a hippie jam band should play!

Old 11-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #28
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

jerry on the pedal steel... love the abb and derek too. music is kinda like wine, different tastes. at least we all share a love for music

www.afterhoursplugs.com

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

Old 11-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #29
Nebe

I'm with you on the meandering. Spacey stuff drives me a bit bonkers. But I love the way he flows and his sound is unique
Old 11-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #30
chrisjoe13

Back to the task at hand..how about some Chuck Berry.

JGB is the ultimate cover band!
chrisjoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote