Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-26-2018, 10:06 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

14,000 GM workers tired of winning

The Big Con is starting to show it’s true effects, it must be someone else’s fault.
Get ready for the spin

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-26-2018, 10:55 PM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
The Big Con is starting to show it’s true effects, it must be someone else’s fault.
Get ready for the spin
so when one company has layoffs, that means that the federal
government has failed? what if it’s the company’s fault?

when solyndra
went under, did you post about how obama failed?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-26-2018, 10:59 PM   #3
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

when solyndra
its called taking the money AKA tax cut buy back stock then thin legacy costs (workers) MAGA
Old 11-26-2018, 11:24 PM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

when solyndra
There’s the spin

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-26-2018, 11:29 PM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
its called taking the money AKA tax cut buy back stock then thin legacy costs (workers) MAGA

Wait. I though the Previous CINC took the money and company and gave it to the workers? Ya know the means of production to the people??

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-27-2018, 12:35 AM   #6
detbuch

Quote:
Get ready for the spin
Are you saying that the booming economy is not a true effect of what you call the Con? Are you predicting that the economy is starting to collapse?

Or are you spinning? I think so.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:54 AM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Are you saying that the booming economy is not a true effect of what you call the Con? Are you predicting that the economy is starting to collapse?

Or are you spinning? I think so.
Absolutely, Yes, No

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-27-2018, 07:05 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
please share the evidence that the tax cut had anything to do with this. maybe if not fornthevtax cut,
they would have had to lay-off more.

Newsflash- sometimes
companies fail, and it’s not always the fault of the sitting president.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:08 AM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
There’s the spin
it’s only spin if it’s not actually true. Please provide some evidence, any evidence, that Trump caused this.

Trump has done stupid things, he has attacked Amazon, causing their shres to plummet. His tariff war has hurt people. These are facts, and he deserves criticism for these actions.

Tell us why he caused GM to cut production of cars that weren’t selling. I’m listening.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:11 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Absolutely, Yes, No
on what basis is the economy starting to collapse? GDP growth is solid, unemployment remains low. Companies still have cash and decent profits.

The market had a correction. it happens. Some of that is Trumps tariff wars, some is the fed raising rates.

The fundamentals are pretty solid. We’re due for a recession no doubt. But we’re not on the edge of collapse. The state of CT is on the verge of collapse ( thanks to 40 years of pure liberalism), not the US.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:33 AM   #11
wdmso

Quote:
please share the evidence that the tax cut had anything to do with this. maybe if not fornthevtax cut,
they would have had to lay-off more.

Newsflash- sometimes
companies fail, and it’s not always the fault of the sitting president.

Again any blame towards Trump is due to his own comments and actions why do you need evidence Trump doesn't use evidence ..

the same people who elected him dont use facts ... they see it the same way "

I smell a rat! GM planned this all the time. They got that big corporate tax break and then screwed us! POTUS "

Amid criticism from President-elect Donald Trump in January 2017, General Motors announced plans to invest an additional $1 billion in manufacturing in the United States and said it would add or keep 7,000 jobs in the US — a decision it admitted was “years in the making.” Trump thanked the company at the time.

Now they are slashing 15 percent of its salaried workforce, a total of some 14,700 jobs....

He cant bully them Now to change course they already got the money
Old 11-27-2018, 07:41 AM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
it’s only spin if it’s not actually true. Please provide some evidence, any evidence, that Trump caused this.

Trump has done stupid things, he has attacked Amazon, causing their shres to plummet. His tariff war has hurt people. These are facts, and he deserves criticism for these actions.

Tell us why he caused GM to cut production of cars that weren’t selling. I’m listening.
Much like Trump’s claims that all that is good is his doing, the jobs GM added in 2017 were his of course but any loss is someone else’s fault
The standard Trump pattern

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-27-2018, 07:45 AM   #13
scottw

Quote:
s.

obama didn't buy the chevy volt he promised to buy after he left office...probably because he couldn't get that big government rebate they were using to get people to buy them and so he couldn't afford one...
Old 11-27-2018, 07:49 AM   #14
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
on what basis is the economy starting to collapse? GDP growth is solid, unemployment remains low. Companies still have cash and decent profits.

The market had a correction. it happens. Some of that is Trumps tariff wars, some is the fed raising rates.

The fundamentals are pretty solid. We’re due for a recession no doubt. But we’re not on the edge of collapse. The state of CT is on the verge of collapse ( thanks to 40 years of pure liberalism), not the US.
The Democrats have the House
They will surely make things fail
Trump just spent three months saying that over and over at rally after rally and then he lost the election but that was because he wasn’t on the ballot
Keep believing all Trump brings is great

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-27-2018, 08:35 AM   #15
scottw

Quote:

Trump just spent three months saying that over and over at rally after rally and then he lost the election but that was because he wasn’t on the ballot

huh?
Old 11-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #16
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
huh?
If you paid attention to what Trump says, you wouldn't have to go huh like a preteen boy.
He is the smartest guy, ask him, he did better than A+

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-27-2018, 09:02 AM   #17
scottw

Quote:
Quote:

If you paid attention to what Trump says, you wouldn't have to go huh like a preteen boy.
He is the smartest guy, ask him, he did better than A+

what election did trump lose?
Old 11-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #18
Pete F.
Canceled

At a minimum the house
And if you look at votes cast, the Dems won by millions
Just a taste of things to come for the Trumplican party
Shortly you'll get to see what Trump is really panicking about
Even Dershowitz says he's f-d

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-27-2018, 09:19 AM   #19
Sea Dangles

Pete, you used to have coherent thoughts.
What happened that made you present these thoughts as a riddle?
Just asking for a friend.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #20
Nebe

Seems to me that when you make #^&#^&#^&#^& cars that not everyone wants to own, you would have to close your factory.

They should have done a better job designing appealing designs that reflected the times we live in now. And made cars that would take you 250,000 miles without any major repair needs. Adapt or die.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:25 AM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
Much like Trump’s claims that all that is good is his doing, the jobs GM added in 2017 were his of course but any loss is someone else’s fault
The standard Trump pattern
As usual, you didn’t answer my question. What is the evidence, that Trump caused GM to struggle?

Most fair minded people
give Trump credit, in a macro sense, for helping the economy. the tax cuts, the elimination of regulations, have helped. That doesn’t mean that every job created us because of him, though he will claim it is. Sure as hell, not every corporate failure is his fault.

You didn’t give him
any credit for the economy improving, but blame him for every bad thing. You can’t have it both ways.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
At a minimum the house
And if you look at votes cast, the Dems won by millions
Just a taste of things to come for the Trumplican party
Shortly you'll get to see what Trump is really panicking about
Even Dershowitz says he's f-d
i also think the democrats will do well in 2020. That doesn’t mean Trump sabotaged GMC. Still waiting for you to supportmyou claim, with any speck of evidence. Or admit you made it up?
Old 11-27-2018, 11:29 AM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Seems to me that when you make #^&#^&#^&#^& cars that not everyone wants to own, you would have to close your factory.

They should have done a better job designing appealing designs that reflected the times we live in now. And made cars that would take you 250,000 miles without any major repair needs. Adapt or die.
Bingo. The free market didnt like all of the products. That happens
every single day. Trump didn’t issue an executive order that they needed to make cars that no one wants.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:41 AM   #24
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
As usual, you didn’t answer my question. What is the evidence, that Trump caused GM to struggle?
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/29/business/automakers-tariffs-job-cuts.html
Most fair minded people
give Trump credit, in a macro sense, for helping the economy. the tax cuts, the elimination of regulations, have helped. That doesn’t mean that every job created us because of him, though he will claim it is. Sure as hell, not every corporate failure is his fault.

You didn’t give him
any credit for the economy improving, but blame him for every bad thing. You can’t have it both ways.
As i have said many times, Trump gives himself plenty of credit for anything good that happens, including much of which he had no hand in. I'll let him give himself grades all he wants, he said it would be more than A+
Months ago, GM told him the tariffs were going to hurt their business, he had no comment. Trump has no clue what he is doing, there will be worse to come. Nothing happens immediately in big business.
It's his turn in the barrel now and they purposely are hitting him where it hurts his base. He's not good for their business.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-27-2018, 11:47 AM   #25
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

GM, Sears, Polaroid, compac and others corporations which failed to adapt go the way of the dodo bird.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
As i have said many times, Trump gives himself plenty of credit for anything good that happens, including much of which he had no hand in. I'll let him give himself grades all he wants, he said it would be more than A+
Months ago, GM told him the tariffs were going to hurt their business, he had no comment. Trump has no clue what he is doing, there will be worse to come. Nothing happens immediately in big business.
It's his turn in the barrel now and they purposely are hitting him where it hurts his base. He's not good for their business.
Did you even read the article you posted? The article was written in June, about what "could" happen. How about what "did" happen?

GM is not going out of business. They are shutting down production of cars that people don't want. Tariffs did not shift consumer demand away from hybrids toward full batter-operated cars. Tariffs did not shift demand away from sedans to crossovers.

"Trump gives himself plenty of credit for anything good that happens, including much of which he had no hand in"

yes he does. He's an egomaniac. That doesn't mean that everything is his doing. Not all the good things, not all the bad things.

Pete, let's make this simple. If Trump's tariffs are responsible for people no longer wanting to buy the Chevy Impala, why didn't the tariffs curtail demand for the Silverado, which is GM's best-selling vehicle?

Please answer that question? Good luck!!
Old 11-27-2018, 12:55 PM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
GM, Sears, Polaroid, compac and others corporations which failed to adapt go the way of the dodo bird.
That's true. But GM isn't going away. They are concentrating on the vehicles that people want to buy.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
Trump has no clue what he is doing, there will be worse to come. Nothing happens immediately in big business.
"Trump has no clue what he is doing"

Tell that to the blacks and Hispanics who are enjoying historically low unemployment. That happened after a few years of Trump, and after several years of a GOP-led congress. I know exactly how much you hate that fact. It's still a fact.

"He's not good for their business"

GDP has risen nicely. How come? Lemme guess, because of obama...
Old 11-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #29
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Did you even read the article you posted? The article was written in June, about what "could" happen. How about what "did" happen?

GM is not going out of business. They are shutting down production of cars that people don't want. Tariffs did not shift consumer demand away from hybrids toward full batter-operated cars. Tariffs did not shift demand away from sedans to crossovers.

"Trump gives himself plenty of credit for anything good that happens, including much of which he had no hand in"

yes he does. He's an egomaniac. That doesn't mean that everything is his doing. Not all the good things, not all the bad things.

Pete, let's make this simple. If Trump's tariffs are responsible for people no longer wanting to buy the Chevy Impala, why didn't the tariffs curtail demand for the Silverado, which is GM's best-selling vehicle?

Please answer that question? Good luck!!
Nobody said they were going out of business. They made a business decision with the hopes that it would wake him up, I'm sure there were a number of factors involved. Don't forget he's going to meet with Xi Jinping shortly and I guarantee you GM wants this #^&#^&#^&#^& over with.
The tariffs have made long range forecasting in most multinational industries scary at best, how do you make plans a year out if you don't know costs, the impact on your pricing and what will happen to the market you are in.
I might do 10% or 50% or some other number, we'll see.........
Maybe we will grant you a waiver.......

Figure that into your plan and explain it to your shareholders when you guess wrong.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Nobody said they were going out of business. They made a business decision with the hopes that it would wake him up, I'm sure there were a number of factors involved. Don't forget he's going to meet with Xi Jinping shortly and I guarantee you GM wants this #^&#^&#^&#^& over with.
The tariffs have made long range forecasting in most multinational industries scary at best, how do you make plans a year out if you don't know costs, the impact on your pricing and what will happen to the market you are in.
I might do 10% or 50% or some other number, we'll see.........
Maybe we will grant you a waiver.......

Figure that into your plan and explain it to your shareholders when you guess wrong.
"They made a business decision with the hopes that it would wake him up, I'm sure there were a number of factors involved"

How do you know that Trump had anything to do, with their decision to discontinue production of certain vehicles? Has that been published? Because what I read, is that they cut production of vehicles that weren't selling. I didn't see Trump mentioned. Are you on the Board of Directors?

The tariffs have a big downside, they could turn out to be a disaster (we don't know yet). What I've asked you several times, is how the tariffs are responsible for GM's announcement. And you refuse to answer. Again.