Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
FishermanTim

Are you an Obama spy?

I wonder if you get a reward for "turning in" anyone that speaks badly about the president or his performance?
I heard on my morning drive to work that a Nashua, NH man had posted a comment on his local newspaper blog site that his fellow residents let the President know what the state motto "Live free or die" means (with the added comment "wink, wink, it's not raising taxes). He apparently had been ratted out by an Obama "spy" and this man had to explain himself to the Secret Service.

Now although the state motto itself does have a vaguely implied threat (and I mean, you REALLY have to stretch it's meaning here), anyone with an ounce of intellegence can see and understand what this comment was intended to convey.
Either the White house is so afraid of vague comments that they're willing to overreact at the drop of a hat, or their afraid that we will see that they're trying to prevent us from stopping them from ruining our country and destroying our way of life.

So, be careful what you say, who you say it to and where you say it!
Big brother and all his minions are just waiting to rat you out!!!

Gee, this would make a great Sci-fi story, only if it weren't true!
Old 08-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
Fishpart
Keep The Change

And you thought listening in on phone calls between terrorists was an infringement on our rights.........

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 08-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
scottw

we are living in remarkable times...
Old 08-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
spence

The context you forgot to include was that his rant was about an upcoming Obama visit to speak locally. Not knowing if he was a nutcase or not another reader reported it.

The SS contacted the newspaper, and, via email no less, the guy was asked to call the SS on his own just to make sure there was no real threat.

Sorry, but your rights are still intact.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The context you forgot to include was that his rant was about an upcoming Obama visit to speak locally. Not knowing if he was a nutcase or not another reader reported it.

The SS contacted the newspaper, and, via email no less, the guy was asked to call the SS on his own just to make sure there was no real threat.

Sorry, but your rights are still intact.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Spence, you don't understand... that's the way they get their point across. Comment about a situation, conveniently leave out the facts that don't support their agenda and get the minions riled up.

FishermanTim's post personifies with his "I heard on my morning drive." Nothing like believing everything you hear, as long as it's from someone that agrees with you. What flavor kool-aid are they serving for you guys today?
Old 08-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
And you thought listening in on phone calls between terrorists was an infringement on our rights.........
Except it wasn't just terrorists - activists, lobbyist and just about anyone else that disagreed or spoke out against the Bush administration was a potential target.

Not to mention the illegality of it.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
FishermanTim

What's equally important is that unless the government is monitoring ALL our communications, SOMEONE had to have alerted the whitehouse via their new "snitch-line".

Sure, if you break down this man's comments into INDIVIDUAL WORDS, then yes "Live Free or Die" could be considered some kind of threat. If you read the ENTIRE comment, it is relates to the government taxing our freedom. When I heard the comments, read verbatum, I could only come up with the same freedom-related explanation.
Does the government have so much free time that they can investigate every possible possibility of a chance of a hint of a threat, or have they been assigned the task of seeking out dissenting points of view?

How long before Obama has is title changed to "El Presidente' "?
Old 08-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Does the government have so much free time that they can investigate every possible possibility of a chance of a hint of a threat, or have they been assigned the task of seeking out dissenting points of view?
At last report, Obama averages 30+ potential threats on his life per day. Every single one of them is investigated to some extent by the Secret Service, especially when Obama will be traveling to that area.

This is no different than how it was under the Bush administration or under Clinton. Every possible or vague threat is taken seriously. I recall a case under Bush were a shop owner had a sign that said "Down with Bush" and he was paid a personal visit by the SS.

The Republican's have no issues invading town hall meeting merely to disrupt the meeting, you don't think some Democrat that disagreed with him would think twice about putting a damper on his day just by making a phone call? I'm sure 10's of thousands of people saw his post, it's no big work to make a quick phone call. The sh!t-storm runs both ways.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
Joe

Guy probably s_it his pants when he heard the SS wanted to speak to him.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
boot man

You can say what you want if you wear a tinfoil hat.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Except it wasn't just terrorists - activists, lobbyist and just about anyone else that disagreed or spoke out against the Bush administration was a potential target.

Not to mention the illegality of it.
How do you know this? What morning drive do you listen too? Back it up JD.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
How do you know this? What morning drive do you listen too? Back it up JD.
The laundry list of reports that came out during the end of the last administration and beginning of this one. The information was released through Freedom of Information Act requests. I don't have time to do the research right now as I'm waiting for the lady to get ready for dinner.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #13
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I get a charge out of the democrats who go to and help organize these town hall meetings to meet and greet with thier congressmen/woman and senators and are asking anyone who disagrees with Obamacare to not voice thier opinon loudly. Where else but in America would liberal individuals asked people to keep thier voices down or not speak at all. I always said "certain" liberal groups/people will strip you of your basic rights before anyone else will.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 08-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #14
JohnnyD

It's not voicing their opinion loudly that is my issue. It is completely destroying any possibility of having a debate.

Basically, the people that go to these things are playing the "I can yell louder than you" game. Which sucks because there are valid issues with the bill that need to be discussed.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #15
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Spence, you don't understand... that's the way they get their point across. Comment about a situation, conveniently leave out the facts that don't support their agenda and get the minions riled up.

FishermanTim's post personifies with his "I heard on my morning drive." Nothing like believing everything you hear, as long as it's from someone that agrees with you. What flavor kool-aid are they serving for you guys today?
and how does that differ from the past 8 years? Dems have been crying that their freedom and civil rights have all but disappeared under Bush, yet there is 0 evidence.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 08-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #16
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
and how does that differ from the past 8 years? Dems have been crying that their freedom and civil rights have all but disappeared under Bush, yet there is 0 evidence.
0 evidence huh?

Illegal wiretapping
http://www.examiner.com/x-13426-CIA-...-eavesdropping

Cheney pushing for the US military to do a raid on a suspected terrorist
http://chattahbox.com/us/2009/07/25/...to-us-streets/

10 seconds of Google searching.

Not to mention just about all aspects of the Patriot Act.

Jimmy, while we disagree on many things, the reason I always respect your opinion is because I know you are informed and do some additional research before commenting on something. It's the people that start posts with "This morning I heard...", take what they heard as 100% fact and then come on here to piss and moan.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #17
buckman

Quote:
0 evidence huh?

Illegal wiretapping
http://www.examiner.com/x-13426-CIA-...-eavesdropping

Cheney pushing for the US military to do a raid on a suspected terrorist
http://chattahbox.com/us/2009/07/25/...to-us-streets/

10 seconds of Google searching.

Not to mention just about all aspects of the Patriot Act.

Jimmy, while we disagree on many things, the reason I always respect your opinion is because I know you are informed and do some additional research before commenting on something. It's the people that start posts with "This morning I heard...", take what they heard as 100% fact and then come on here to piss and moan.
The Examiner and the New York Times. Well now I am fully informed. Solid evidence for sure....Thanks JD.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #18
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
The Examiner and the New York Times. Well now I am fully informed. Solid evidence for sure....Thanks JD.
Great article on Chattahbox.com. If you read all the way down to the bottom, you can see it was written by the well known and respected political reporter "Sue".

That could possibly be the worst example ever of a legitimate "news" article. I guess that's what happens when you spend "10 seconds on google" doing your research to make a point about how right you are. Then you go on to say that you respect someone because they are informed and do the extra research? Come on JD, you can do better than the Examiner and Chattahbox can't you? What about some National Enquirer articles or better yet, Mad Magazine? They might even have articles penned by people who only use their first names, too.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 08-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #19
scottw

JD Rodham Clift is a constant contradiction, I think he's completely confused himself....
Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #20
JohnnyD

The unwavering denial amongst you koolaid drinkers is very entertaining. If I had more than 2 minutes each time I get on here, I'd find other resources. Doesn't change that the reports came out.

It is even more amusing to me that you guys try to contradict a source, especially considering the more than questionable people any of you try to reference and how you take "opinion articles" as fact.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:45 AM   #21
scottw

you should hold yourself to the standards that you demand of others
Old 08-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #22
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you should hold yourself to the standards that you demand of others
I do. Which is why I preface with "I only have a minute." and "after a quick google search".

Where as others preface with "here's something that I heard on the radio so it must be true."
Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #23
detbuch

Quote:
I do. Which is why I preface with "I only have a minute." and "after a quick google search".

Where as others preface with "here's something that I heard on the radio so it must be true."
You quote yourself accurately, but your quote of "others" is half YOUR words ("so it must be true") not the words of the "others". You also seem to have great faith in what you find on google but dismiss without qualifiction what is heard on radio. As far as I know, Google just posts, voluminously, all manner of info and opinion, which is also disseminated, in bits and pieces, on radio.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #24
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
You quote yourself accurately, but your quote of "others" is half YOUR words ("so it must be true") not the words of the "others". You also seem to have great faith in what you find on google but dismiss without qualifiction what is heard on radio. As far as I know, Google just posts, voluminously, all manner of info and opinion, which is also disseminated, in bits and pieces, on radio.
I only use Google for references. As I have stated many times before, I watch both Fox and CNN, listen to conservative radio at times and read the web. My information comes from a variety of sources. But, I'm not going to state items as fact unless I can cite it - something that was ingrained into me back during college.