Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 01-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Winn Grips

They are a golf club grip maker that now seems to have come out with fishing grips. Anyone heard of or have them? I just ordered some of their overwrap grip tape off Amazon to try on a couple rods that have gotten ratty. Will report back.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:40 AM   #2
pbadad

I installed a wrap for a friend. The only downside was the end wrap holding it together. I ended up shrink wrapping the end toward the reel seat and fore grip tp rod.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #3
BigBo

I've done a couple rods with Winn Grip Tape. As Pete mentioned, the finish wrap on the ends is the only part that they leave up to your imagination. I kind of wish they sold a tape specifically for the final finish wrap. I used black electrical tape, but then also like Pete, I ended up replacing it with some shrinkwrap.
Very grippy. I applied it over a couple rods with cork tape handles that were getting frail and funky. Like a whole new rod now.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:42 PM   #4
EliTheBeerGuy

I own a couple fly rods with Winn grip style grips on them, Redington Vapen rods. It's not a tape/wrap, but more of the solid grip like you'd slide into a golf club shaft.

I love them. They've held up really well, especially shining when hands get wet.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
EliTheBeerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
unclebunker

Yup. I like 'em too.Light,tough,and they can be cleaned.I especially like the tape. To me, it looks better than shrink wrap, and feels good in the hand.The tape pkg. should come with a coupla little "end wrap" pcs. They looked insufficient; I wrapped the ends with black thread. I like the shrink wrap idea.
unclebunker is offline   Reply With Quote