Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 09-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
Backbeach Jake

Unenthused

I've wet a line 3 times this season. for maybe 15 minutes each time. could not care less to fish again. as a matter of fact, I'm ready to sell off all my gear ad try something else. Never felt this way before about fishing, just don't care. any thoughts?

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Don't give it up just yet Fred, it may be just a lull or phase. Sometimes other activities take precedent and ya have no time for fishing, or other things are too important and fishing does not matter.

I have cut way back on how often I go these days.

A little vacation from it may do ya good but maybe the desire will return. I hope so for your sake.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Fred....seems many are having kind of an off year! Other obligations...family and work related are keeping people busy. I for one am consumed with alot of what is going on in my life this season.....fishing is not a priority. I have been getting out but I am unable to really focus but it feels good to get out! Before you do anything drastic just wait until next season....things may be different by then. Keep your chin up Fred!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
Karl F

Fred.. my brother!..we have become peas in a pod.....

not quite ready to sell gear... but the thought has crossed my mind...

it ain't what it usta be...and age is a factor.. sleep has become a real need..
(can no longer go with little or none, just can't function, and that's, that)
also..new schedule for me now.. up and at em way earlier, and also working longer days..( once again) this year... averaging 10 hour shifts...

add in beach closures, them furry rat like critters, and all the other chit that plauges the beaches, plus my no love of traffic, crowds or (most) people ...well... other pursuits, seem worthy.

but, ya never know... even Flap had a spell where he laid off, I remember him speaking of it, and I took a sabatical from the salt in the early 90's and got into fresh water bassing in a big way...actually revisted a few of my old favorite haunts recently from those days, and was disappointed to see most of my favorite small ponds access were all gone.. private signs, fenced off dead end dirt roads, and big new houses around some pristine sweet water....
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
luds
Night Stalker

Give it a rest for a while. I feel the same way right now. The best thing about life is there are so many options. Do something else for a while.

On the gear side of things when you're into fishing you buy to much. Fine to thin the heard but I wouldn't let the bulk of it go. I bet the fish will call you back.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
JohnnySaxatilis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
I've wet a line 3 times this season. for maybe 15 minutes each time. could not care less to fish again. as a matter of fact, I'm ready to sell off all my gear ad try something else. Never felt this way before about fishing, just don't care. any thoughts?
what kind of gear you got? jk

Do anything 110% for a while and it looses its luster. you need other things to be terrible at to distract you from being terrible at the thing you love the most

something clever and related to fishing
JohnnySaxatilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Can I have your plugs Fred?
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:18 AM   #8
Raven

Exclamation it will Pass

There was a time when it was all you lived for

now it may seem like "why do i wanna drag this slimey fish
into shore...."

All ya have to do is wait.... it out ... until you miss it...

AND you will ....trust me... so, for now don't analyze anything.

Staying away from something just long enough
UNTIL it becomes "new" again is the Answer.

Last edited by Raven; 09-10-2011 at 05:43 AM..
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:18 AM   #9
Backbeach Jake

WTF Raven? You gonna try to kiss me?

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 09-10-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
O.D. Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
WTF Raven? You gonna try to kiss me?

"Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice." >> Yoda
O.D. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #11
Raven

Yeah with a baseball bat upside your head....

But for you i'll use a nerf bat... so you can still fish
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #12
Slingah

I'm right there with you Fred. I fished a couple times in May. No real desire to fish. I won't sell my stuff because I know I will fish again and if I want to go I can go. I just needed a break.
Other activities have taken up my time this year like hiking and motorcycling.

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

take up golf Fred that will drive you back to fishin.. A good walk ruined.
Just need to do some other stuff. It's just fishing and just a hobby. Put the stuff away and maybe next spring you will have the itch again. I too have not done as much as I usually do and I have enjoyed the more leisurely pace of my fishing this year, plus I am transitioning from 10 years of nites back to days and 5 day work weeks with and occasional nite here and there and getting older makes you grumpy too which I am picking up real fast, that right there is a fun hobby. Good luck in your quandary.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I don't know, Fred. But I did just come in from admiring what a beautiful night it is outside....and contemplated how we soon we will be bundling up to move snow... It's fall. Grab a couple hours here and there for yourself, or with some good friends. Maybe even catch a few.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #15
Backbeach Jake

A Tonic , maybe..

My family has a fishing weekend this Columbus Day weekend. It's a big , huge deal. They gather from all over the country for this. We have new blood this year. THIS year marks the 50th Annual. Since 1961. I inherited the job as host 15-16 years ago when Jenn and I bought the place and love it. I'm really looking forward to this and hope it gets the juices flowing again. We'll see.

Thomas Paine
Old 09-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #16
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I'm going through the same phase, Fred. It'll pass and the bug will bite again. This year has been a tough one for me, and made me re-order my life to prioritize what's really important. Fishing isn't the be-all and end-all of my existence any more.

But--even though I've taken up cycling for exercise and fun, I still haven't taken the baskets off my bike.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #17
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Felt that way last year and didn't fish much.
It's so different now with all the crowds, takes the fun out of it.

I did get a truck pass this year though as I love to take my
4yr old grandsons. Last few years I have been driving down get there
around 3 and fish to dark during the week. Love the ocean, oil on
the water, dunes, and sunsets.

You will be back, Fred.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #18
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Thier is a lot to be said for sitting on a friendly rock at sunrise on a slow catching day. Can't be beat. Its priceless as a matter of fact.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #19
Backbeach Jake

It's not that I don't like being out doors, in fact the last time I took my yak out, I just took pictures. Had two rods behind me and didn't touch them at all. Just enjoyed the water and scenery..

Thomas Paine
Old 10-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #20
Joe

For a lot of people, fishing is finite. There's only so much enjoyment and reward to be squeezed out of it. It's not like mathematics, or literature, or helping others - for most, the rewards diminish over time.

Indeed, some of the people who stay super-enthused their whole lives, are rather one-dimensional and dull. Kind of like people whom you went to high school with and are intellectually in the same place they were twenty years ago.

Just the experience of the public library, where you can get virtually any book or DVD or explore any topic, is has increased exponentially since we were kids. The opportunities for self-development have never been greater - whereas the fishing experience has remained essentially the same or has declined over the last twenty years or so. It's not that fishing is not rewarding, but rather there are more choices that are more rewarding than they used to be, and other choices that simply were not there. Life is about editing, because you can't do everything.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

If it was just about casting and catching, I'd be damned if i'd drive for hours to do it. Sometimes I think I just like the wandering and exploring part the best, I always see neat stuff.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #22
Backbeach Jake

Well the boys will start rolling into Truro in 24hrs or so for the family's annual Columbus Day fishathon. Family and friends coming for Tallahassee, Maine, Kentucky, New Hampshire. There are new guests this year, young people which I find encourageing.
This is year 50. Half a century.I've been to about 40 of them and have hosted the last 15-16.
I'm pretty jacked and really don't care if I catch.
There are two retired reels in a display case in the living room. Their owners have gone on to their rewards. Those reels will never have line again.
It's not about the fish.
Can't wait!

Thomas Paine
Old 10-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #23
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Good luck Fred and most importantly.....just enjoy my friend!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #24
Karl F

Fred, you enjoy the heck out of yourself this weekend, you definately "get it"
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote