Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 08-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
Mr. Sandman

yesterday close offshore

fished the dump and picked up 3 small bft about 36" or so just past the claw and just over the northern west end of the dump. Nothing at the southern end. . Had a few other knock downs one persistent fish pounded a small splash bar way back about 5 times before giving up but no hookup. One small mahi . I saw a whale off in the distance and a few dolphin but to be honest it was a quiet day. I didn't see any whites but I heard of a couple sightings. One of my leaders was all chaffed up and I am thinking that might have been one of the mystery knockdowns. I would wait until a new slug of hot water makes its way into the dump before running to the southern edge and beyond. We also got a small tuna on a melton cherry jet trolled at 13 knots. We were moving to new spot and for the hell of it I put a jet head and a wahoo lure with weight in the water...in a few minutes the jethead went off and it was a bft. go figure. no good hard breaks. water about 70 but it is pretty blue and clear to the south with patches of weed hear and there.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
Sea Dangles

I was close by out there yesterday Jim. It was pretty quiet for signs of life but I managed a couple of medium bluefin on the troll with the largest around 90 pounds. Just as it was on Wednesday,the action came early and then dried up... We had 4 small ones Wednesday down in the SE corner next to the good break. I will say that the only place with a heartbeat was near the claw but I was too foolish to fish it as I was in a rush to the dump.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #3
Mr. Sandman

Nice going. We did not get anything that big but a buddy had one one for 45 min before breaking off. Crimp pulled on the stinger. All we saw were some small fish there...but I would take a 90#er. I took one home and had it for dinner last night...it was great.

Headed to the edge on mon or tue on a go-fast boat if the weather cooperates. Not sure exactly where.

I am now thinking of buying a live-aboard type trawler and just fishing with friends. That said I do like running a boat offshore, it is so much nicer than inshore.

Spent most of the day organizing my tackle my gear was a mess. We are ready to go now. It is amazing how long it took me to put everything where it is suppose to be, repair rigs, replace hooks, etc.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote