Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
ecduzitgood
time to go

Lightbulb No more school sports

I think it's time to eliminate school sports programs grades 1-12. They should just do conditioning and other non-competitive physical activities that do not result in injuries which can last a lifetime.
This would create a new industry of private sector athletic businesses where parents and children can choose to participate or not. The cost associated with maintenance of athletic Fields and equipment would be eliminated allowing for the money to be spent on education not competition.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Define Education?

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

If sports go under, the whole town goes under..
That's when the whores come in. Men laying their trick-money down. Twenty dollars to pay the rent? Maybe not. Maybe instead I'll spend it on the whore. Whores running around, doing their little behind-shake for the men folk...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 12-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Define Education?
The three R's.....reading, riting, and rithmatic

What does a publicly funded school sports program do that cannot be done by a private entity?

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 12-29-2011 at 12:21 PM..
Old 12-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
What does a publicly funded school sports program do that cannot be done by a private entity?
Promotes School Pride....

So Three R's......No Art, No Shop, No Music, No Home Ec, No Trades

Because those are all next after you eliminate sports....

My Kids don't play School Sports.....but as far as Education, I bet kids Learn more life lessons in competing then they do in Honors Geometry

Old 12-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
Pete F.
Canceled

Keeps boys out of trouble and gives them a reason to go to school and do well, including the ones whose parents can't afford to pay for sports. Though I do think they should replace football with rugby, save a lot of money on equipment.
Pretty important to give kids a chance to excel, now if you want to talk about wasting money take a look at special education. I am convinced that the education dollars that have been directed to spec ed have come out of the budgets for average and above, the effect in too many cases is to have bored average and above become behavior problems, fall behind and end up needing special services.
It is like the grade school teacher who punishes overactive boys by keeping them in at recess and makes them sit still because they can't sit still.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

And how about the increased Drop-out rate when kids quit school because they are bored out of there gourd.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
Typhoon

I grew up and played in the hockey machine town of Hingham. There's a micro economy of hockey equipment/time/training school spent by parents it's foolish.

Education is second fiddle when you're on the hockey team. Do you know what 5am practices do to a teenager who needs sleep.

If you want to have hockey schools in the ISL leagues great. Get the pro teams to sponsor the kids. Having a public school team that's like a college team is a little ridiculous.

-Andrew
Old 12-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:

My Kids don't play School Sports.....but as far as Education, I bet kids Learn more life lessons in competing then they do in Honors Geometry
Electives would go first: Art, Shop, Music, Home Ec, Trades before sports!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
Electives would go first: Art, Shop, Music, Home Ec, Trades before sports!
Depends on the Town...You live in Brockton so, Yeah, Definitely.

In Georgetown it would be tight as to what would go 1st. There are More Kids involved in Music at the School than on the Football Team

They run School Band, Jazz Ensamble, Chorus, Chorale, Acappela Group, Drama....Music is pretty popular in our town.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:

School pride is just another thought/belief that interferes with the respect and compassion for others that we should be teaching. How many students learn they are inferior to others based upon athletic ability or lack of ability? It's time to eliminate some of the so called pride or feelings of superiority based upon physical games when it comes to public education, all this does is cause people to dislike another humanbeing because they went to the wrong school. I don't recall any of my participation in school sports being required information on any job applications. All it does is give us another reason to discriminate which in my eyes is not whats good for society overall.

Trades can be taught at trade schools, which honestly are an excellent choice for many, one that I wish my parents had considered.

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 12-29-2011 at 02:14 PM..
Old 12-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

High School Athletics is a requirement for some colleges and helps you get into others....all of the Miltary Academies w/ the Exception of the Coast Guard Academy require you to have taken a High School Sport.

Trade Schools are Public Schools that have a Sports Program as well.

I actually like the fact that schools have so many options for a kid to excel....not just sports. My Son loves music....he got elected to be the Drum Major for band....he definitely does not feel inferior because he doesn't play sports. he looks forward to football games when he get to get out there.

when kids have many options available to grow into they find something that lights a fire for them. What about kids that aren't good at the 3 "R"s...but a light shines for Music, Art, Science, Cooking, or Carpentry....this could be what steers them in that direction in life.

Plenty of kids that played sports go into Sports Medicine and Therapy fields...its not just about throwing a football...its about finding something that lights a fire in a kid. And Competition is not a bad thing....it helps people strive

I'm pretty sure a strict program of Just the 3 "R"s is how they do it in China and North Korea

Old 12-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
High School Athletics is a requirement for some colleges and helps you get into others....all of the Miltary Academies w/ the Exception of the Coast Guard Academy require you to have taken a High School Sport.
There are other methods that can be used to replace school sports, once they have been eliminated and replaced with private sector businesses.

Trade Schools are Public Schools that have a Sports Program as well.
Lose the sports program here also.

I actually like the fact that schools have so many options for a kid to excel....not just sports. My Son loves music....he got elected to be the Drum Major for band....he definitely does not feel inferior because he doesn't play sports. he looks forward to football games when he get to get out there.
I was not addressing other programs that are not physically competitive and teach skills that a student can build upon.

when kids have many options available to grow into they find something that lights a fire for them. What about kids that aren't good at the 3 "R"s...but a light shines for Music, Art, Science, Cooking, or Carpentry....this could be what steers them in that direction in life.
All acceptable to me, they are not competitive sports

Plenty of kids that played sports go into Sports Medicine and Therapy fields...its not just about throwing a football...its about finding something that lights a fire in a kid. And Competition is not a bad thing....it helps people strive
Imagine how many more positions would be available to them if the private sector took over competitive sports

I'm pretty sure a strict program of Just the 3 "R"s is how they do it in China and North Korea
I can honestly say I don't have the intellect to post a proper response to this
Old 12-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

You said Money could be used on Education

Quote:
The cost associated with maintenance of athletic Fields and equipment would be eliminated allowing for the money to be spent on education not competition.
And I said

Quote:
Define Education?
You said the 3 "R"s

Quote:
The three R's.....reading, riting, and rithmatic
I said that there are things that schools bring that are educational besides the 3 "R"s

Quote:
Now you have no problem with any of the other activities a school offers.....outside of the 3 "R"s

Quote:
I was not addressing other programs that are not physically competitive and teach skills that a student can build upon.
I pointed out that Sports can also help light that fire in a kid.....

Quote:
And it turns out your real issue is just in sports....kids getting there feelings hurt because they can't make the team

Quote:
How many students learn they are inferior to others based upon athletic ability or lack of ability? It's time to eliminate some of the so called pride or feelings of superiority based upon physical games when it comes to public education, all this does is cause people to dislike another humanbeing because they went to the wrong school. .

Quote:
All acceptable to me, they are not competitive sports
How about the Chess Club...or The Debate Team...or a Science Fair...Or DECA

They All Compete there....

Old 12-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #15
Rockfish9

I hated school.. if not for sports my grades would have gone down the proverbial crapper...if your grades were bad you didnt make the team (s).. it gave me added incentive ( besides Dad's left foot up my keister)to keep a high grade point average..

They need to get rid of the damn computers and teach the kids some real life skills...most of these kids can't cook... dont know how to balance a check book, use a tape measure or add the sum of two numbers with out a calculator...sports in school gives alot of them the only excercise they will get for the week... no one ever got in shape posting on face book or my space..while I'm railing here.. what ever happend to walking to school or to the bus stop... most mornings i get stuck behind school buses that stop every 200'.. you telling me the little darlings can't walk an extra 200'.. no wonder the kids are getting obese...Rant over or I'd be here all night..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Old 12-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #16
fishbones

Ed, this is one of the dumbest ideas floated in this forum in a long time.

If it's because kids will feel inferior, then they should have all kids in the same classes and not have advanced classes for the brightest students because the others will feel inferior.

While they're at it, they should make all kids wear the same uniform to public school every day so no one feels inferior to the kids with the cool threads.

If all goes well, we can have a bunch of young adults with no desire to excell in life and everyone can be the same.

Now, your other idea obout making prostitution legal is great. You should have quit when you were ahead.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 12-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #17
fishbones

Quote:
I played competitive sports and was no slouch, I am also permanently injured due to three bullies who tackled me during flag football in gym class. I was a bully when it came to other bullies, I had a half brother who was both mentally and physically unable to defend himself so when I came to Easton I stood with him and protected him and the rejects as they were called by others. The competitive sports are an unnecessary expense that I feel could be eliminated and replaced by the private sector. At some point people will have to wake up and realize we are all in the same boat and need to respect each other, eliminating the school affiliation to competitive sports would have a positive impact in my twisted mind.
It's still a dumb idea. I'm afraid you're on an island with this one. People have pointed out the flaws in your argument, but you refuse to see any perspective other than your own.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 12-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #18
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
At some point people will have to wake up and realize we are all in the same boat and need to respect each other,
A Good Coach should be instilling this in his players.....that is the basis of Good Sportsmanship.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #19
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
It's still a dumb idea. I'm afraid you're on an island with this one. People have pointed out the flaws in your argument, but you refuse to see any perspective other than your own.
I have a bridge from that island or did you overlook the word replaced. I think teamwork could be taught in other ways incorprorated into conditioning without having to beat the other person/team. How many injuries and deaths have to occur before we take a look at school sports? I honestly feel sports teach, reinforce and even promotes disrepect of others.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #20
fishbones

Quote:
I have a bridge from that island or did you overlook the word replaced. I think teamwork could be taught in other ways incorprorated into conditioning without having to beat the other person/team. How many injuries and deaths have to occur before we take a look at school sports? I honestly feel sports teach, reinforce and even promotes disrepect of others.
You're right. I'm going to take my 6 year old son out of soccer baseball, basketball and lacrosse because I don't want him to disrespect people.
It's mainly the parents job to teach a kid to be respectful, along with teachers and coaches. Don't blame sports. If a kid is disrespectful in sports, he or she will be disrespectful in other areas of life. Stop using sports as an excuse.
And if sports are so bad, why is it ok for them to play if it's privatized but not in school? Your argument is ridiculously flawed. And will privatizing sports end injuries and sports related deaths? How many deaths or serious injuries occured in sporting events at OA in 2011?

Old 12-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #21
ecduzitgood
time to go

Perhaps competive sports especially when it comes to children is were civility and respet is removed or eliminated.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #22
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

Our schools athletics have been 0 funded & self-supporting for years. Lots of hours by parents and students in fundraisers. My daughter was a 3 letter completion. It made a big difference when it came to college. She was able to go to a better college that we would not have been able to afford. She had to keep up her grades or off the team. I can say their record was not the greatest but every girl on the team has gone off to college. I would think that If you privatized the sports programs after a few years if their records were not over 500 or making playoffs that programs would just end.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #23
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
Our schools athletics have been 0 funded & self-supporting for years. Lots of hours by parents and students in fundraisers. My daughter was a 3 letter completion. It made a big difference when it came to college. She was able to go to a better college that we would not have been able to afford. She had to keep up her grades or off the team. I can say their record was not the greatest but every girl on the team has gone off to college. I would think that If you privatized the sports programs after a few years if their records were not over 500 or making playoffs that programs would just end.
The programs could be arranged in a way that would for lack of a better term be handicapped by tracking the performance of individuals and moving them around to keep teams somewhat even in terms of ability. It might teach acceptance of others and teach true team work as oppossed to teaching dominance.
Parents who care about there childrens developement are far and few between, I think lots of parents enroll their kids in sports to get them out of their hair.
Mike you have done a great job I have met your daughter.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #24
Sea Dangles

Competition is a good thing,but it doesn't have to be spurred on by a school event.It is the responsibility of the parent to know their child and guide accordingly.I never understood the need to overdo it though. Most hockey kids are the worst as Typhoon pointed out due to odd ice hours. I think it is important for children to stay busy and to sometimes overload them with responsibilities. How they handle these burdens can shape their lives.They learn to prioritize and occasionally push themselves.Don't kid yourselves though, our children learn their life lessons at home;sports and all the other activities just provide an outlet,or a conduit to express themselves with their peers.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 12-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #25
Backbeach Jake

School sports should be mandatory.
They teach respect for rules and that infractions of said rules have penalties.
They offer an outlet for hormonal driven aggression.
They teach teamwork and responsibility.
They teach respect for your opponent.
They teach respect for ones peers.
They teach respect for oneself.
With proper guidence and coaching of course.
All these qualities are sorely lacking in today's American culture.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 12-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #26
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
Do you know what 5am practices do to a teenager who needs sleep.
ya i know, they learn to manage their time better and go to bed early the night before like I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
Education is second fiddle when you're on the hockey team.
it wasn't when I was a kid
I thought grades have to at a certain level or else you are off the team

Ed, no school sports? good luck with that
Old 12-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #27
fishbones

Quote:
Perhaps competive sports especially when it comes to children is were civility and respet is removed or eliminated.
Thanks for such detailed answers to my questions.

And Sea Dangles is right. Parents are responsible for teaching core values to their kids, not sports programs.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #28
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Thanks for such detailed answers to my questions.

And Sea Dangles is right. Parents are responsible for teaching core values to their kids, not sports programs.
I'm working with a phone and find it difficult enough just trying to post. What questions would you like me to answer?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #29
ecduzitgood
time to go

Ok fishbones I found them, I will respond first by stating this is a discussion not an argument so there are no flaws just different issues that are being twisted together.
I don't know how many injuries or death occur each year but to me public funding should not be used for school sports. Perhaps the professional sport organizations should provide the funding to cover all school sports seeing as they are the ones who benefit most.

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 12-29-2011 at 07:20 PM..
Old 12-29-2011, 11:02 PM   #30
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't know how many injuries or death occur each year but to me public funding should not be used for school sports.
I'd bet that there are more Injuries or Deaths because of alchohol and drug abuse due to kids having nothing better to do after school but get into trouble.....unless maybe Sports was there for them..... Or maybe other after school programs.

Quote:
A coach can also have a negative impact,]
So can a crappy Math Teacher, or a Crappy Parent or Crappy Neighbor.....or a dozen other crappy people that will inevitably come into a kids life. I'd rather they learn how to keep going forward in spite of people like that...instead of getting sour on an entire program

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 12-29-2011 at 11:09 PM..