Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-17-2018, 10:58 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Apple Inc

Apple is giving its employees a $2,500 bonus
bringing $250 billion in cash that is currently overseas, back to the US
paying $38 billion in taxes on that cash
investing $30 billion in the US to create 20,000 jobs
matching employee charitable donations 2-to-1

not bad.

And Nancy Pelosi calls all these bonuses, raises, and new jobs...pathetic crumbs. Atta girl. Where'd they find her anyway, Scotland Yard?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 01-17-2018 at 11:05 PM..
Old 01-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

They could use those funds to pay for defrauding customers into upgrading phones because they manipulated battery life and slowing the speed down with their updates. Pisses me off spending money I did not need to spend. screw apple

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
Nebe

It’s one of the few thing she I have seen our government do in recent times that I agree with. I’m sure those $2500 bonuses will just go into the stock market or pay off some sort of personal debts. Saying it will be returned back to the “economy” is a stretch. Just let the economy do it’s own thing and it will....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #4
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post

I’m sure those $2500 bonuses will just go into the stock market or pay off some sort of personal debts. Saying it will be returned back to the “economy” is a stretch.

clairvoyance...
Old 01-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #5
scottw

Quote:

Just let the economy do it’s own thing and it will....

thanks Yogi....
Old 01-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Phones are so fing expensive, what a fing racket, why do I need a GD computer in my pocket I have one on my desk?
Old 01-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
It’s one of the few thing she I have seen our government do in recent times that I agree with. I’m sure those $2500 bonuses will just go into the stock market or pay off some sort of personal debts. Saying it will be returned back to the “economy” is a stretch. Just let the economy do it’s own thing and it will....
If they pay off debt with all of it (I'm impressed you know that's what they'll do), that's more $$ that the lenders can lend to others, which greases the wheels of the economy. Unless they burn it Nebe, it circulates back into the economy.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
If they pay off debt with all of it (I'm impressed you know that's what they'll do), that's more $$ that the lenders can lend to others, which greases the wheels of the economy. Unless they burn it Nebe, it circulates back into the economy.
It's restricted stock...not paying off anything short-term. The overseas cash isn't coming back soon, they're just paying the taxes on it. As for the 20k jobs, that's a projection as to what the spending could possibly create through the entire supply chain not all Apple hires.

Good that they're investing for sure but all these press releases need to be taken with a grain of salt. Wal-Mart's bonus plan turns out impacts hardly anyone and a lot of these increases were already planned.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:08 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It's restricted stock...not paying off anything short-term. The overseas cash isn't coming back soon, they're just paying the taxes on it. As for the 20k jobs, that's a projection as to what the spending could possibly create through the entire supply chain not all Apple hires.

Good that they're investing for sure but all these press releases need to be taken with a grain of salt. Wal-Mart's bonus plan turns out impacts hardly anyone and a lot of these increases were already planned.
"The overseas cash isn't coming back soon, they're just paying the taxes on it" 38 billion the feds will have, that they don't have now. That could fund at least 3 teacher pensions!

"Wal-Mart's bonus plan turns out impacts hardly anyone"

The minimum wage hike to $11/hr impacts a lot. Funny you chose to leave that out.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #10
spence

Quote:
The minimum wage hike to $11/hr impacts a lot. Funny you chose to leave that out.
It's a dollar more. The Obama recovery has made it harder to fill low paying jobs...was going to happen regardless Jim.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #11
scottw

Quote:

The Obama recovery

aka...weakest recovery ever
Old 01-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
It's a dollar more. The Obama recovery has made it harder to fill low paying jobs...was going to happen regardless Jim.
"It's a dollar more."

Which is $2,000 more per year. In addition, thanks to tax reform, many will keep a higher % of their new higher income.

What did Obama do for these people, that helped more?

And if Obama gets credit for the economic improvements he oversaw, does that mean you give Trump credit for what has happened since January 2017? Otherwise, you would appear to be a hypocrite.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
aka...weakest recovery ever
You don't think that's what he meant?
Old 01-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #14
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Are you saying that because less people were available to fill the low paying jobs, the natural progression was that the wages would increase for those same low paying jobs.

I thought this theory was dis-proved in another thread.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 01-18-2018 at 02:40 PM..

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-18-2018, 02:49 PM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Are you saying that because less people were available to fill the low paying jobs, the natural progression was that the wages would increase for those same low paying jobs.

That's right. His beliefs in the validity of supply and demand, depends on whose ox is getting gored. That was well played.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #16
spence

Quote:

No, it more a bigger shift overcoming long term wage suppression.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #17
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
No, it more a bigger shift overcoming long term wage suppression.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:32 PM   #18
spence

Quote:
You deny?
Old 01-19-2018, 12:09 PM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
You deny?
Aren't you the denier? Aren't you denying that supply impacts price on one thread, and advocating for it in another.

Here, you say a shortage of low wage workers will drive up the price...and everyone agrees with you.

On the other thread, you denied that an increase in supply of low wage workers affected the price.

You are being inconsistent. The one commonality, is that in each argument, you were promoting liberalism.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:29 PM   #20
spence

Quote:
Aren't you the denier? Aren't you denying that supply impacts price on one thread, and advocating for it in another.

Here, you say a shortage of low wage workers will drive up the price...and everyone agrees with you.

On the other thread, you denied that an increase in supply of low wage workers affected the price.

You are being inconsistent. The one commonality, is that in each argument, you were promoting liberalism.
I've never said supply and demand isn't an economic force, just that in the real world there are a lot of other factors to consider some of which can be more influential to actual results.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
I've never said supply and demand isn't an economic force, just that in the real world there are a lot of other factors to consider some of which can be more influential to actual results.
Right. And if the impact of supply on price supports your agenda, you agree with it. When it doesn't support your agenda, you deny it.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #22
spence

Quote:
Right. And if the impact of supply on price supports your agenda, you agree with it. When it doesn't support your agenda, you deny it.
The situations are different.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #23
Pete F.
Canceled

Just remember what an architect told me once, that every problem has a simple but elegant and incorrect solution.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #24
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Just remember what an architect told me once, that every problem has a simple but elegant and incorrect solution.
Every problem has an infinite number of simple or complex solutions that are incorrect. They all have simple or correct solutions that are correct depending on the definition of correct.

There are various "solutions" to paying for healthcare, which will have different effects on the economy, freedom of choice, the type of government that is desired, and especially on the effect they have on our constitutional system of government.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #25
Nebe

Each crisis we face is a moment for opertunity.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #26
wdmso

apple had the money to do this 10 years ago ... love how Republicans love PR stunts and tout them as signs of change .. and 1 dollar an hours a game changes in the life of someone who was just making 8 buck an hour .. are clueless
Old 01-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
apple had the money to do this 10 years ago ... love how Republicans love PR stunts and tout them as signs of change .. and 1 dollar an hours a game changes in the life of someone who was just making 8 buck an hour .. are clueless
Why is Comcast (the company that owns MSNBC) doing it now? Does the CEO of Comcast (the guy who signs Rachael Maddow's paycheck) want to make Trump look good?

Of course they could have done it before. But they were finally incentivized to do it, with the tax reform.

If you think a tax windfall of $38 billion and 20,000 new jobs is a PR stunt, you can think that. You look very foolish to say that, in my opinion.

"and 1 dollar an hours a game changes in the life of someone who was just making 8 buck an hour "

if you work 2,000 hours a year, than a $1/hr a raise is a $2,000 gross bump in salary. In addition, these people will pay a lower tax rate. than they did last year. So not only does their gross pay increase, they keep a higher percentage of their gross pay, so that's a double benefit. They keep a higher percentage of each dollar, and they have more dollars of pay.

It's not going to end poverty. Not even close. But please tell me, what Obama did in 8 years, that did more for these people?

Have fun answering that...
Old 01-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #28
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
and 1 dollar an hours a game changes in the life of someone who was just making 8 buck an hour .. are clueless
It's a 12.5% raise. I wish I got one of those.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:04 PM   #29
spence

Quote:
It's a 12.5% raise. I wish I got one of those.
Previous minimum was 10 I believe. So no...

Maybe they can get off foodstamps?
Old 01-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #30
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Previous minimum was 10 I believe. So no...

Maybe they can get off foodstamps?
Wdmso stated $8...a dollar an hour is 12.5% stop changing facts