Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #61
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
spence, do you have any doubt that he’s be alive if he just complied?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Well, he's not dead for one thing. It's most likely he wouldn't have been shot but given widespread mistrust of the police within black communities and recent events like George Floyd I can see where he could have been concerned about his safety.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #62
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Well, he's not dead for one thing. It's most likely he wouldn't have been shot but given widespread mistrust of the police within black communities and recent events like George Floyd I can see where he could have been concerned about his safety.
Sorry, good correction. Of course he would not have been shot.

The mistrust of police is based on a false narrative, on the wildly distorted way the left reports this. Look at the data, it could not be more clear.

George Floyd was completely out of his mind, one of the medical examiners ruled he had (or may have had?) a fatal dose of fentanyl in him.

Breanna Taylor (is that her name?), that was a horrible horrible mistake by the cops. But it happens. Poice work is, by nature, occasionally life-and-death. Mistakes will happen. Not every mistake, is rooted in racism.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #63
spence

Quote:
The mistrust of police is based on a false narrative, on the wildly distorted way the left reports this. Look at the data, it could not be more clear.
Most of the country disagrees with you.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #64
Jim in CT

Quote:
Most of the country disagrees with you.
I agree, because of the inaccurate way it's spun on every network except one.

The data does not disagree with me. I rely on data, not what Al Sharpton says.

9 unarmed blacks killed in all of 2019? With almost a million cops out there?

Gimme a break.

We need to address the fact that blacks still get pulled over for no reason. But there is no epidemic of race-based police brutality. It doesn't exist. It obviously does not exist.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #65
spence

For someone who claims to be an actuarial you have a terrible grasp of statistics.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:49 PM   #66
Jim in CT

Quote:
For someone who claims to be an actuarial you have a terrible grasp of statistics.
I notice you didn't point out any errors I made.

If you look at the number of unarmed people killed by cops by race, and compare that to each race's makeup of the general population, unarmed blacks are a disproportionate share (but the number is so small, it has no meaning). But if you compare the numbers shot by race to each race's share of population in urban areas (which is where these things happen), unarmed blacks are not a disproportionate share.

You have nothing to bolster your argument, except the Sharpton-like rantings of shameless race baiters.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #67
Jim in CT

Quote:
Article from the National Academy of the Sciences.

"We find no evidence of anti-Black or anti-Hispanic disparities across shootings"

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/32/15877
Old 09-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #68
spence

Quote:
Article from the National Academy of the Sciences.

"We find no evidence of anti-Black or anti-Hispanic disparities across shootings"

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/32/15877
I think you forgot to read this part.

Quote:
What These Findings Do Not Show.
Our analyses test for racial disparities in FOIS, which should not be conflated with racial bias (21). Racial disparities are a necessary but not sufficient, requirement for the existence of racial biases, as there are many reasons why fatal shootings might vary across racial groups that are unrelated to bias on the behalf of police officers.
Besides, all that study looked at was fatal officer involved shootings and not potential police bias in general.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #69
Jim in CT

Quote:
I think you forgot to read this part.

Besides, all that study looked at was fatal officer involved shootings and not potential police bias in general.
what you say I forgot to post, has no real meaning.

"all that study looked at was fatal officer involved shootings and not potential police bias in general"

Does this mean you'll concede that there's no epidemic of cops waking up, and deciding to shoot a black person?

I freely concede there's bias in things like traffic stops (the data is crystal clear). Not in the use of deadly force (the data is crystal clear).
Old 09-04-2020, 02:01 PM   #70
spence

Quote:
what you say I forgot to post, has no real meaning.
Actually it invalidates your argument

Quote:
Does this mean you'll concede that there's no epidemic of cops waking up, and deciding to shoot a black person?

I freely concede there's bias in things like traffic stops (the data is crystal clear). Not in the use of deadly force (the data is crystal clear).
The data isn't crystal clear. First off your report only looks at events where there's a fatality, the Jacob Blake event wouldn't even count as a statistic. Second, your own report states "The uncertainty around these estimates highlights the need for more data before drawing conclusions about disparities in specific types of shootings."
Old 09-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #71
wdmso

Quote:
the salon owner doesn’t make laws. pelosi does.
Another swing and a miss

Not in California she doesn't

But please keep bringing up the women who illegal allowed Pelosi to enter her salon ... and went on Fox and told on herself
Old 09-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #72
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Another swing and a miss

Not in California she doesn't

But please keep bringing up the women who illegal allowed Pelosi to enter her salon ... and went on Fox and told on herself
Pelosi is in the third most powerful position in the US government. And I don't know w woman, not one, who doesn't know the local rules for salons.

She screwed up here WDMSO, even some of your fellow liberals were able to admit as much. It was a gift to republicans, and to come out swinging against the salon, is another gift. She's a cunning and very very sharp politician. She's also a disgusting, wretched woman.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #73
Jim in CT

Quote:

The data isn't crystal clear. First off your report only looks at events where there's a fatality, the Jacob Blake event wouldn't even count as a statistic. Second, your own report states "The uncertainty around these estimates highlights the need for more data before drawing conclusions about disparities in specific types of shootings."
"Actually it invalidates your argument"

Not even close. It said while there were no racial disparities, they couldn't disprove racial biases. Nor could they prove racial biases. But if a million cops were engaged in a race war, wouldn't there be SOME evidence of racial disparities in the data? There's nothing. Zip.

If the best you can say is "well the data shows no disparities, but that doesn't mean cops don't distrust blacks", fine, go ahead and cling to some nebulous, unprovable nonsense.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:21 PM   #74
Jim in CT

Quote:

The data is crystal clear that cops are not engaged in an epidemic of racial assassinations of blacks. The data could not be more clear on that.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:27 PM   #75
spence

Quote:
The data is crystal clear that cops are not engaged in an epidemic of racial assassinations of blacks. The data could not be more clear on that.
Your "data" only involves shootings, is from one year, only factors in fatalities and repeatedly states that more data and analysis is required.

That's not very crystal clear.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #76
Jim in CT

Quote:
Your "data" only involves shootings, is from one year, only factors in fatalities and repeatedly states that more data and analysis is required.

Oh, so cops are engaged in an epidemic of racist murders, but they aren't shooting their victims. Are they poisoning them? Lynching them?

Do you have any data to back up what you're saying?
Old 09-04-2020, 06:11 PM   #77
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

It’s crystal clear if if fits your narrative

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-04-2020, 09:44 PM   #78
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
It’s crystal clear if if fits your narrative
9 unarmed blacks killed
by cops in all of 2019. show us how good you are at math. what does that suggest to you?
Old 09-05-2020, 04:41 AM   #79
Pete F.
Canceled

The Buffalo Police Department initially said in a statement that, during a “skirmish involving protestors, one person was injured when he tripped & fell.”
An attorney for the Kenosha police union has said Blake was holding a knife.
A white former St. Louis police officer charged with killing a black man "executed" him after a car chase, then planted a gun in the slain drug suspect's vehicle as an excuse for opening fire, a prosecutor told jurors Tuesday.
Eyewitnesses, including Smith's girlfriend, say Smith had his hands up and was unarmed when Pachnik shot him multiples times.

Police contend Smith had a gun.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:51 AM   #80
wdmso

Quote:
Pelosi is in the third most powerful position in the US government. And I don't know w woman, not one, who doesn't know the local rules for salons.

She screwed up here WDMSO, even some of your fellow liberals were able to admit as much. It was a gift to republicans, and to come out swinging against the salon, is another gift. She's a cunning and very very sharp politician. She's also a disgusting, wretched woman.
And the leader of the united states told Voters to vote twice

NO criticisms of Putin

He said the case was "tragic" but urged reporters to focus instead on China, which he said was a bigger threat to the world than Russia.

US President Donald Trump has ordered federal agencies to stop racial sensitivity training, labelling it "divisive, anti-American propaganda".

Trump calls ' diversity training. anti-American

Yet to you She's also a disgusting, wretched woman.

MAN you have some serious mommy issues
Old 09-05-2020, 08:05 AM   #81
spence

Quote:
9 unarmed blacks killed
by cops in all of 2019. show us how good you are at math. what does that suggest to you?
It suggests you need to fact check your own numbers.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:15 AM   #82
wdmso

Quote:
The Buffalo Police Department initially said in a statement that, during a “skirmish involving protestors, one person was injured when he tripped & fell.”
A white former St. Louis police officer charged with killing a black man "executed" him after a car chase, then planted a gun in the slain drug suspect's vehicle as an excuse for opening fire, a prosecutor told jurors Tuesday.
Eyewitnesses, including Smith's girlfriend, say Smith had his hands up and was unarmed when Pachnik shot him multiples times.

The problem is evidence is only in courts

On the street the standard for shooting is just the requirement of feelings or guesswork.

This is the issue

Every American supports police rights to defend themselves they dont condone killing people based on a feeling

Then you get the argument oh what police should be shot at 1st and my answer is Yes. If the standard isnt changed to physically seeing a gun . Policemen have a dangerous job no question. And I have said this several times but when our Men and women in uniform are held to a higher standard of the use of deadly force under their ROE rules of engagement in Foreign lands. That. problematic
Old 09-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #83
Jim in CT

Quote:
It suggests you need to fact check your own numbers.
they’re the washington posts numbers. those damn conservative jerks at the washington post.

spence, how many actual
murders of blacks would
you assume the cops commit in a year? and how many blacks would
you assume are murdered by other blacks?

show us how smart and honest you are? answer that. i dare you. i triple dog dare you.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:06 AM   #84
spence

Quote:
they’re the washington posts numbers. those damn conservative jerks at the washington post.

spence, how many actual
murders of blacks would
you assume the cops commit in a year? and how many blacks would
you assume are murdered by other blacks?

show us how smart and honest you are? answer that. i dare you. i triple dog dare you.
That’s not what the Washington Post reported.

Also, here’s a good piece on how bad your report is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...udy-retracted/
Old 09-05-2020, 11:02 AM   #85
wdmso

Black on black crime is jims and conservative argument when they cant explaine away police shooting of unarmec blacks .. they piviot to black kill each other more than police . Again as if there the same issue
Old 09-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #86
Jim in CT

Quote:
Black on black crime is jims and conservative argument when they cant explaine away police shooting of unarmec blacks .. they piviot to black kill each other more than police . Again as if there the same issue
any idiot can explain such a small
number of police shootings of unarmed citizens. police work can be dangerous, confrontational, and people are stupid. there will be volatile situations, mistakes will be made. we need to investigate them and learn from them.

that explains it. now why don’t you explain to us, why crime gets so much less attention from liberals, even though it’s thousands of times
more destructive?

you have fun answering that.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:42 PM   #87
Jim in CT

Quote:
and of course, spence dodged my obvious question.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:07 PM   #88
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

I suppose none of these instances happened
They must have been outliers
Sure, Jan

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-05-2020, 10:05 PM   #89
Jim in CT

Quote:
I suppose none of these instances happened
They must have been outliers
Sure, Jan
so, did trump condemn racist violence at charlottesville?
Old 09-06-2020, 06:38 AM   #90
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Trump wants all funding supporting studies or training to address racial issues stopped, apparently if you say we aren’t racist and our country isn’t seeing racial issues it isn’t happening. Boy if there was ever any question about whether Trump is a racist, he certainly has put that debate to rest.