Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
Eric Roach
Big E

Airbrush Nozzle Clogged with Createx

my Iwata Eclipse BCS got pretty clogged with Createx pearl paint. I removed the nozzle and gently scraped/scooped the inside as best I could with a toothpick, but there is still some residue towards the tip.

Can anyone recommend a solvent to soak the nozzle in to loosen up the Createx?

Thanks in advance.
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
stripermaineiac

Have you tried hot water
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

shoot windex through your gun

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

windex, simple green, water mixture. 1/3 each. I mix up a gallon. Thanks Bernzy. I will be starting to paint this weekend and I am sure it will happen a lot with my old paint. I strain it thru pieces of nylons now to try and avoid that problem but still happens

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
the greek

I've used Goo Gone and Goof Off with pretty good results also.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
the greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:59 AM   #6
stripermaineiac

just make sure your o rings are real rubber. goo gone eats synthetics. Found out the hard way tyin flies an rod building.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
Sgt Striper

Just soak the nozzle and cap in ammonia for about 30 min. I shoot a solution of 1 part ammonia, 1 part water, and 1 part Fabuloso after each color and then a dip in water to clear it out.

"The lips stand out because she wants to suck on your Pikie."....Mike Laptew
Van Staal Service/Repair Technician
Sgt Striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #8
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I have a bucket right next to where I spray and the first thing I do after air brushing is force water through the brush until no more color exits the nozzle, into the bucket. Empty bucket every couple of days. Other than the prep work I pm'd Eric about this is actualy the best thing you can do. Then as Slipknot stated once, take nozzle off and clean tip needle and nozzle completely after every use.
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #9
Eric Roach
Big E

Thanks, guys.

I used to use a bucket but now I have a sink in my paint room. I usually partially fill it and shoot the gun underwater, then direct a stream through the siphon opening. I also shoot Createx cleaner (not the soak) through the gun before moving on to the next color. This usually does the trick.

I'm going to try soaking the nozzle in ammonia.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #10
Eric Roach
Big E

Straining/Filtering: I've never filtered/screened my paints, so I'm guessing some dried fragments are ending up in the nozzle and aren't dissolving through regular spray-cleaning.

Do nylons or other filtering mediums strain out the pearls in those paints?
Old 02-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #11
Bernzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
windex, simple green, water mixture. 1/3 each. I mix up a gallon. Thanks Bernzy. I will be starting to paint this weekend and I am sure it will happen a lot with my old paint. I strain it thru pieces of nylons now to try and avoid that problem but still happens

100% of the time it works everytime!

You could also get a set of cleaning brushes specifically for an airbrush.

Bernzy

"Sometimes you eat the bear and, well, sometimes... the bear, he eats you." _____________________
Support your S-B sponsors
--------------------------------------
Bernzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
Eric Roach
Big E

Soaking the nozzle in ammonia did the trick. That's the last time I let the gun sit that long before cleaning it.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #13
pbadad

Eric, I clean the gun in the sink next to bench w/water after each color. Warm water does the trick. I try to spray light colors before darker , if possible. With a Iwata neo gravity gun, spraying into the cup directly w/the simple green mix flushes the gun then a flush with warm water.since using this gun, no issues w/Createx. craft paints is another issue. Some get lumpy and clog. Strain those first will be one way to keep from clogging. I mix the craft paint 50/50 and add a few drops of Windex. Sometime, somedays, nothing you do goes right. I basically use Createx for 95% of the paint. FYI I also shoot higher air pressures 35-50lb w/craft paints. Olive is one color I use craft paint a lot and a metallic silver for more silver color. Createx pearl silver is almost as light as pearl white.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #14
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

always clean it after use. You learned your lesson and no the nylons doesn't ruin the pearl paint.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #15
bigdaug

Glad I saw this. I shot an airbrush for the 1st time today and guess what I didn't finish doing? I was gonna break it clear down and use the createx cleaner. I did use the warm water and cleaner between colors and when I was finished. Wasn't sure if I was cleaning too much or not enough. I need to break it down to get more familiar with the parts anyhow.
bigdaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #16
bigdaug

Sooooo I think it's a real good idea to break it down now that I see what was left in there.
Very dirty.
bigdaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #17
Eric Roach
Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
...Olive is one color I use craft paint a lot and a metallic silver for more silver color. Createx pearl silver is almost as light as pearl white.
I use(d) an olive from Americana as well because Createx doesn't have a stock green I liked. I used to use a craft paint for champagne, but I figured out how to mix a shade I liked with Createx pearls.

Ditto on Createx silver pearl, it's just too soft. What craft paint do you like for silver now?

I use water-based paints when fogging over scale netting or lateral lines because it's easy to wash away any grand mistakes. I also use it as the topping/fading colors in Blurple and Parrot because they cover better. I use Polytranspar & Life Tone lacquers for everything else; better colors and layering effects.