Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-24-2022, 03:53 PM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

No gun problem in the US

40 plus active shooters a year, up 97% in the past five years, nothing changes.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:41 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Whatever
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 05-24-2022, 04:48 PM   #3
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
40 plus active shooters a year, up 97% in the past five years, nothing changes.

Does your figures include the daily shootings in Chicago and other schithole cities ruled by the left

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 05-24-2022, 05:07 PM   #4
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Whatever
14 Students, 1 Teacher Dead in Texas School Shooting

Not your kids so whatever?
Old 05-24-2022, 05:08 PM   #5
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Does your figures include the daily shootings in Chicago and other schithole cities ruled by the left

But the kids parents might be liberals or immigrants so it’s ok…
Old 05-24-2022, 05:09 PM   #6
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Try a google search next time it’s likely to answer your question, but the top state for death total (not surprising due to population) is California and two and three are Texas and Florida. Now we have a major bust of a ghost gun manufacturer, as if we didn’t already have a problem with guns that might be traceable. The far right believes more guns or easy access makes the US safer, hope your young kids and those around the country enjoy their fearful active shooter training.

I’m NOT against guns, I’ve hunted for years, but this is getting a little ridiculous.
Old 05-24-2022, 05:49 PM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Not your kids so whatever?
I feel terrible for all affected by this. My “Whatever” is for the usual running to the internet/social media about it and trying to assign blame to anything and everything, except the guy that pulled the trigger.

They’ll parrot that we need “Common Sense” gun laws and yet not offer anything that would have prevented that days tragedy.

You’ll whine like a little beyotch and blame the GOP because that’s all you ever do. Pete will sooner or later insert Trump into the conversation, because that’s all he ever does.

Detbuch will try to have a rational discussion but give up after GS calls him a crappie fisherman and Pete, as mentioned above, will insert Trump into the conversation and try his best to derail the conversation.

Jim will offer up that it’s all the democrats fault and keep bringing up Chicago, he’ll inevitably say something mean and Paul will call him a (insert adjective that means Not a nice person). Spence will wander in and tell Jim he’s wrong and disappear.

The dialog will go nowhere for 3-4 days and then fade. Until the next one.

Rinse and Repeat.

Like I said “Whatever”

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 05-24-2022, 06:20 PM   #8
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

There you go apathy and thereby complicity, curious what your solution is, or wait you see no problem needing a solution.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:33 PM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Whatever
Old 05-24-2022, 08:51 PM   #10
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I feel terrible for all affected by this. My “Whatever” is for the usual running to the internet/social media about it and trying to assign blame to anything and everything, except the guy that pulled the trigger.

They’ll parrot that we need “Common Sense” gun laws and yet not offer anything that would have prevented that days tragedy.

You’ll whine like a little beyotch and blame the GOP because that’s all you ever do. Pete will sooner or later insert Trump into the conversation, because that’s all he ever does.

Detbuch will try to have a rational discussion but give up after GS calls him a crappie fisherman and Pete, as mentioned above, will insert Trump into the conversation and try his best to derail the conversation.

Jim will offer up that it’s all the democrats fault and keep bringing up Chicago, he’ll inevitably say something mean and Paul will call him a (insert adjective that means Not a nice person). Spence will wander in and tell Jim he’s wrong and disappear.

The dialog will go nowhere for 3-4 days and then fade. Until the next one.

Rinse and Repeat.

Like I said “Whatever”
Yeah, nothing can be done.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:17 PM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

Well now Ken Paxton says teachers, whose unions are communist and who cannot be trusted to refrain from grooming our children to lives of sexual debauchery and hatred of America and white people, should be better armed.
And gun laws won't stop gun violence. But abortion laws will stop abortions. Got it.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:55 AM   #12
wdmso

Trump and Republicans claim He lost the election do to voter fraud mail in ballots and drop boxes

Republicans in red states changed voting laws as fast as they could even changing laws they passed the year prior..

Gun man kills 10 in buffalo

Gun man in Texas 19 children so far

Republicans and conservatives news sites. response

Democrats rushed to capitalize on the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, and attack Republicans.

yep Republicans are the victims more like the cause

Texans can carry handguns without a license. And People are generally authorized to openly carry long guns in Texas, although state law prohibits people from displaying a firearm in a public place in a “manner calculated to alarm.

So I am guessing Texans shouldn’t be alarmed with people carrying AR or an AK or a spas 12 in any public setting . Until they hear gun fire ?

Just me but some guns unless you have a collector’s license. And if you’re that committed to firing them on a range you’ll get the license

Most people have no need to own them.

They just want them it’s cool to tell your friends I’ve got an AR or an AK with a cool suppressor and look at my vest and helmet. This is as close to being in the military or Iraq I could find..

It’s nonsense
Old 05-25-2022, 05:22 AM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Yeah, nothing can be done.
one party controls the white house and both chambers of congress. If there’s any low hanging fruit that will help, what are they waiting for?

there’s many pieces to this. We need to at least try something different with guns, though that’s unlikely to make
much of a dent. the guns are out there, untold millions of them.

our mental illness infastructire isn’t working, and that will get worse with each generation spends more time online and less time connecting with people in meaningful ways.

we need more close knit families teaching their kids why empathy is important. we’re getting further and further away from that every day.

it’s not just guns. it’s us.

biden sure was mad that we aren’t doing anything. Since he’s apparently not in a position to do anything, maybe he should write a letter to his congressman.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:41 AM   #14
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

With all the money we are printing might as well beef up school security, THAT might help, except we are fashionably defunding police and security). With all the illegal guns, we should surely crack down on legal owners. And Ghost guns, you can get those past airport screening because they are really easy to make and have not metal parts.

A lot of these young shooters have mental health issues and have been stirring up crap in their past. What is the solution on that?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-25-2022, 06:57 AM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
With all the money we are printing might as well beef up school security, THAT might help, except we are fashionably defunding police and security). With all the illegal guns, we should surely crack down on legal owners. And Ghost guns, you can get those past airport screening because they are really easy to make and have not metal parts.

A lot of these young shooters have mental health issues and have been stirring up crap in their past. What is the solution on that?
it’s reported, as you said, that his social media stuff was pretty disturbing.

not sure how we round up everyone who expresses dark-ish fantasies on the internet.

school security might have more impact than anything else we can discuss, until we fix what’s broke about us. and i see that getting worse not better. our collective moral compass is just out of balance.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 05-25-2022 at 07:39 AM..
Old 05-25-2022, 08:03 AM   #16
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
one party controls the white house and both chambers of congress. If there’s any low hanging fruit that will help, what are they waiting for?

there’s many pieces to this. We need to at least try something different with guns, though that’s unlikely to make
much of a dent. the guns are out there, untold millions of them.

our mental illness infastructire isn’t working, and that will get worse with each generation spends more time online and less time connecting with people in meaningful ways.

we need more close knit families teaching their kids why empathy is important. we’re getting further and further away from that every day.

it’s not just guns. it’s us.

biden sure was mad that we aren’t doing anything. Since he’s apparently not in a position to do anything, maybe he should write a letter to his congressman.
Look at Killingly CT. They could have had a cost free mental health center at the high school but the board of Ed said no because of politics:

The controversial decision has been mired in politics. Those opposed to the mental health center have raised complaints and references more commonly heard from the political right: cancel culture, Hillary Clinton, abortion, gender identity. Some wonder if schools are the best place for mental health care.

Norm Ferron, who was elected the new chairman during the board’s April 13 meeting, said he voted against the school mental health center because he was concerned that kids might get counseling about “controversial topics.”

“Basically, what is a stranger to the parents can be advising their child on any issue,” he said. “They might be giving them counseling directly opposed to the views of the parents.”

The Killingly Board of Education is used to controversy. In recent months, it voted down a proposal to host a vaccine clinic at the school and rescinded the district’s mask policy with language that makes it harder to bring back. Many members ran on the promise that they would reinstate the school’s controversial mascot, the Redmen, which they did in 2020.

Let's not forget that Abbott also said that he was embarrassed that TX was only #2 in gun ownership.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:15 AM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Look at Killingly CT. They could have had a cost free mental health center at the high school but the board of Ed said no because of politics:

The controversial decision has been mired in politics. Those opposed to the mental health center have raised complaints and references more commonly heard from the political right: cancel culture, Hillary Clinton, abortion, gender identity. Some wonder if schools are the best place for mental health care.

Norm Ferron, who was elected the new chairman during the board’s April 13 meeting, said he voted against the school mental health center because he was concerned that kids might get counseling about “controversial topics.”

“Basically, what is a stranger to the parents can be advising their child on any issue,” he said. “They might be giving them counseling directly opposed to the views of the parents.”

The Killingly Board of Education is used to controversy. In recent months, it voted down a proposal to host a vaccine clinic at the school and rescinded the district’s mask policy with language that makes it harder to bring back. Many members ran on the promise that they would reinstate the school’s controversial mascot, the Redmen, which they did in 2020.

Let's not forget that Abbott also said that he was embarrassed that TX was only #2 in gun ownership.
One example of many. I could fill the internet with examples of liberals wanting to make it harder to commit the mentally ill. And many examples of liberals saying the nuclear family is anachronistic.

Both sides contribute to this Paul. I have no idea what happened in Killingly, and I also know there's no such thing as free, particularly when it comes to public education. I'd like to see a teachers union in this state agreeing to do anything for free. And I lived there, I know what I'm talking about.

Paul, if the GOP is all that's stopping us from solving this, please explain why the democrats controlling the white house and both chambers of Congress, haven't proposed a single thing in 18 months that would effect this? What's stopping them?

The GOP needs to be more flexible on guns, that's one part of this, probably a small part. The left needs to concede the benefits of the traditional nuclear family and old-fashioned family values (guns were available in the 1950s, but this stuff didn't happen like we see today, because our culture then was superior in some ways) and start encouraging it, rather than constantly attacking it. How many murderers come from families with a mom and a dad and a golden retriever in the house, where they go to church on Sundays, eat supper together most nights, and get involved in scouting and camping and fishing and all those healthy activities? I'd bet very, very few. So why not encourage those tings, rather than attack them constantly?

Blame all around.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 05-25-2022 at 08:27 AM..
Old 05-25-2022, 08:25 AM   #18
Jim in CT

Two little kids are still missing today, did I hear that right? Why would that be? This wasn't a 9/11 type event...

Hope they're OK and we can have a little tiny something to be thankful for.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:01 AM   #19
Pete F.
Canceled

USA: It's a mental health issue.

WORLD: We have those. We don't have mass shootings.

USA: Then it's a video game issue.

USA: It's very complex.

WORLD: No, it's gun laws.

USA: Prayer in school?

WORLD: God, you're stupid.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:36 AM   #20
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
USA: It's a mental health issue.

USA: Then it's a video game issue.

USA: It's very complex.

WORLD: No, it's gun laws.

USA: Prayer in school?

WORLD: God, you're stupid.
"World"? You mean like Africa, Mexico, and South and Central America too. Check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...Europe_by_year
Old 05-25-2022, 10:13 AM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
"World"? You mean like Africa, Mexico, and South and Central America too. Check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...Europe_by_year
Don’t worry bucko, we’re leading the rest of the world

A shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, that has killed 19 children and two adults marks the 27th school shooting this year and the 212th mass shooting.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-25-2022, 11:57 AM   #22
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Wow staggering three mass shootings in Europe this year, limited deaths in comparison to the 40+ in the US this year, I think you might have embarrassed yourself with that nugget.

I don’t think anyone can argue the mental health aspect of this problem is a big part, but there is no way to track or even predict who might snap, even if no previous evidence exists. Access to guns and especially high powered assault style weapons, in addition to the millions of stolen, illegal and now ghost guns is the bigger problem.

I get the constitutional 2A argument, but when that was written consider arms were basically on an even footing. I doubt the intent was to have the ability to arm yourself with anything, when the next lethal weapon of war is developed, does any citizen have the right to arm up if his neighbors are?
Old 05-25-2022, 12:30 PM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
I get the constitutional 2A argument, but when that was written consider arms were basically on an even footing. I doubt the intent was to have the ability to arm yourself with anything, when the next lethal weapon of war is developed, does any citizen have the right to arm up if his neighbors are?
So do we let the president or congress disregard the parts of the constitution they don't happen to like? I don't disagree with you in theory, but if we let Biden decide which parts of the constitution he can ignore, say Trump wins again in 2024, are you comfortable letting Trump decide which parts of the constitution he can ignore?

There are also 100 million (/) guns out there. Tougher gun laws aren't going to involve confiscating them.

Doesn't mean we don't try to do something, but both sides need to be more honest, less partisan, about the components of the problem, and the pros and cons of solutions.

And I'd love to see a study that shows how many Americans are killed in these random mass shootings versus killed in garden variety gun violence, and how much media coverage each tragedy gets.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 05-25-2022 at 01:07 PM..
Old 05-25-2022, 12:33 PM   #24
Pete F.
Canceled

Well let’s see, what’s the average age of mass shooters
This one was18, maybe it should be harder to buy guns than beer.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:39 PM   #25
Pete F.
Canceled

In 2008 Justice Antonin Scalia introduced another interpretation that gun proponents seize on to argue against gun control. He wrote the Supreme Court decision that individuals have the right to own firearms. But Scalia also stated, “Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited.” He approved of “laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.”
Old 05-25-2022, 01:06 PM   #26
detbuch

Quote:
Wow staggering three mass shootings in Europe this year, limited deaths in comparison to the 40+ in the US this year, I think you might have embarrassed yourself with that nugget.
So in 2021 there were seven mass shootings in Europe--33 killed and 79 injured. Are those acceptable numbers? Would 40 dead and 100 injured be acceptable? Would 50 dead and 110 injured be an acceptable number for mass shootings in the U.S. Would guns not be a problem with those numbers.

What is the acceptable number of deaths and injures from mass shootings in the U.S. below which guns would not be the problem and above which they would be the problem?

My response was to Pete F in which he quoted "world" as saying "We don't have mass shootings."

That is blatantly false, as my response showed. And in other parts of the world, such as Africa and the Americas south of our border, the numbers are worse than ours.

So, what's the magic number of deaths and injuries at which we will be OK with guns, and above which guns are the culprit?
Old 05-25-2022, 01:43 PM   #27
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Anyone that believes the Goberment wants more gun control & laws probably also believes the goberment gives a crap about blacks, Hispanics, gays ect…….

Nothing will change.
A few weeks in the news and back to business as usual.
Of course, The media will do its best to spin this that the shooter was a white KKK loving White supremacists
Old 05-25-2022, 02:10 PM   #28
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
So in 2021 there were seven mass shootings in Europe--33 killed and 79 injured. Are those acceptable numbers? Would 40 dead and 100 injured be acceptable? Would 50 dead and 110 injured be an acceptable number for mass shootings in the U.S. Would guns not be a problem with those numbers.

What is the acceptable number of deaths and injures from mass shootings in the U.S. below which guns would not be the problem and above which they would be the problem?

My response was to Pete F in which he quoted "world" as saying "We don't have mass shootings."

That is blatantly false, as my response showed. And in other parts of the world, such as Africa and the Americas south of our border, the numbers are worse than ours.

So, what's the magic number of deaths and injuries at which we will be OK with guns, and above which guns are the culprit?
One could say it’s roughly the same as abortions

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-25-2022, 02:26 PM   #29
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:

Nobody believes (or at least I don’t) no mass shootings happen elsewhere, but it really is unique to the US in terms of the numbers, we are well over 200 deaths for the year. Way too many guns and way to easy for anyone to get their hands on one. Both sides of the isle really need to figure this out or this disconnected society will continue to kill our own children.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:42 PM   #30
wdmso

Only gun dealers with a Federal Firearms License are required to do a background check before selling a gun in Texas, not private sellers. Texas has NO state requirement for more comprehensive background checks when purchasing a firearm. Therefore, persons prohibited from owning firearms can easily obtain a gun - on the internet, at a gun show, even from a private seller out of the trunk of a car.
In states like Texas with no state-required background check, research has shown that 57% of private gun sales were done with no background check.
Around 80% of all firearms acquired for criminal purposes are obtained through transfers from unlicensed sellers. Including the purchase of his firearm by the Odessa/Midland mass shooter.
Texans overwhelmingly (79%) support universal background checks.

But it’s a mental health problem