Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #31
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Nah, his job.
That would explain why he's all gung ho for raising taxes. Since deadbeats don't pay taxes, it won't affect him.

Jimmy, you seem to be a lighning rod around here. You may be the first person on this site to be prominently mentioned in 2 peoples' signatures. Congratulations!

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 11-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #32
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
pssst- the WTC was bombed during Clinton's term.
The Germans??...ahh leave him alone he's on a roll.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #33
wader-dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
No one will invest in america (small "a") anymore or want to risk their savings to start a small business with 50%+ total tax burden.:
Lets examine the top 1% taxpayers again to see if they have any incentive to keep making money and if they are losing 50%. Attached is the full summary of all tax returns filed in calender year 2006 published by the IRS - the last data available.

There are 1,357,192 taxpayers in the top 1% of richest taxpayers. They had adjusted gross income of 1.791 Trillion dollars of income. Yes trillion. The average income reported on each of the top 1% returns was $1,320,289. for the year.

The average tax rate ( tax paid as a percent of income) on those 1% returns was 22.79% So the guys make an average of $1,320,289 and paid 22.79% in taxes. See the chart -those are the facts. Yes they pay 40% of total taxes paid but each loses around a quarter of their money to the feds.

So I can't really feel that the 1% people are being destroyed by taxes, that they have no incentive to make any money and if they have to pay 25.98% of their $1,320,289 under Obama's plan that the USA will come to an end.

So lets not panic here.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Number of Returns with Positive AGI.doc (35.0 KB, 481 views)
Old 11-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #34
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
That would explain why he's all gung ho for raising taxes. Since deadbeats don't pay taxes, it won't affect him.

Jimmy, you seem to be a lighning rod around here. You may be the first person on this site to be prominently mentioned in 2 peoples' signatures. Congratulations!

Doesnt bother me. I love being labeled by liberals. I've shared my background before, I am not a republican, Im in an inter-racial marriage, little mixed kiddies, lived, by my own choice in San Francisco for 6 years, been to more gay/lesbian weddings than anyone on this board, and (as of today!) I am a succesful leader in the financial industry. I have been more places in this country than your average American and my thoughts and beliefs are my own, not something I get from Rove, Repubs or any talking heads.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 11-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #35
bssb
river rat

so what's worse? letting it happen the first time or letting happen after it's already happened once AND you were warned it was going to happen. you people have got to be the most narrow minded, ignorent bunch of jackasses on the planet. not only do you not have a clue what your talking about, but you are also proud of it. I don't know what's worse. republican hypocrisy know no bounds. all I can say is I feel sorry for you, and the rest of you idiots in the jackass club. and fishbones, how is a clip out of a CNN story immature and ill-informed. oh sorry, your right, it was't a fox news story. so it never happened

“I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security.”

Jim Garrison
Old 11-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #36
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wader-dad View Post
Lets examine the top 1% taxpayers again to see if they have any incentive to keep making money and if they are losing 50%. Attached is the full summary of all tax returns filed in calender year 2006 published by the IRS - the last data available.

There are 1,357,192 taxpayers in the top 1% of richest taxpayers. They had adjusted gross income of 1.791 Trillion dollars of income. Yes trillion. The average income reported on each of the top 1% returns was $1,320,289. for the year.

The average tax rate ( tax paid as a percent of income) on those 1% returns was 22.79% So the guys make an average of $1,320,289 and paid 22.79% in taxes. See the chart -those are the facts. Yes they pay 40% of total taxes paid but each loses around a quarter of their money to the feds.

So I can't really feel that the 1% people are being destroyed by taxes, that they have no incentive to make any money and if they have to pay 25.98% of their $1,320,289 under Obama's plan that the USA will come to an end.

So lets not panic here.
Wow, that would have to be one heck of a "small business" to be in the top 1%. Do you think landscapers, liquor store owners, contractors, etc...fall into that 1% catergory? The taxes for real small businesses are still an impediment to many small business owners. Also, you are leaving out things like unemployment taxes, real estate taxes, and payroll taxes. Maybe it's not too bad in CT, but in RI it's almost impossible to own and operate a small business profitably.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 11-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #37
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssb View Post
so what's worse? letting it happen the first time or letting happen after it's already happened once AND you were warned it was going to happen. you people have got to be the most narrow minded, ignorent bunch of jackasses on the planet. not only do you not have a clue what your talking about, but you are also proud of it. I don't know what's worse. republican hypocrisy know no bounds. all I can say is I feel sorry for you, and the rest of you idiots in the jackass club. and fishbones, how is a clip out of a CNN story immature and ill-informed. oh sorry, your right, it was't a fox news story. so it never happened
just for chuckles, how old are you and what do you do for a living?

Old 11-06-2008, 01:00 PM   #38
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssb View Post
I didn't say that clip was immature and ill-informed, I said that you were. You posted a story that had nothing to do with the topic at hand but it furthered your agenda (ill-informed).

Then, you call all of us idiots and jackasses. Well I can only speak for myself, and I'm no idiot. I have been called a jackass by a lot of people, so I won't argue that point with you. It's the comments where you make blanket statements like those that show your immaturity.

Even the super-Libs on this site won't stick up for you. Maybe you're trying to come on a little strong, or maybe you're just an angry peson who sits at home blaming everyone else for your lack of success or happiness. In that case, don't feel bad for me. I'll be fine. In fact, I'll even continue paying my taxes so you can afford to by your weed.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #39
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
I In fact, I'll even continue paying my taxes so you can afford to by your weed.
which you wont have to worry about if you have less than an ounce thanks to my vote!

Old 11-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #40
bssb
river rat

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman about Pres Clinton
He was too busy getting BJ's and letting terrorists attack our country (ie USS Cole and First WTC attack) and not doing a GD thing about it.

So I make the point that it happened to Bush too after he was warned. and I'm immature and ill-informed? I know the WTC was bombed while Clinton was in office. But is it fair to point that out and not the fact that it happened again on Bush's watch? or let me guess. 9/11 was bush's fault? If your going to fault CLinton for the attacks in 93' why is it ill-informed to assume we can blame bush for 9/11?

“I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security.”

Jim Garrison
Old 11-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #41
fishbones

I don't fault any one person for events that happen in this country. To do so would be letting too many people off the hook. Clinton and Bush both surrounded themselves with people to help them assess threats and clearly some of these people were wrong. Presidents can only act on information and advice that is given to them by others. They can't read reports on every piece of international intelligence that is gathered by their people.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #42
wader-dad

Quote:
Wow, that would have to be one heck of a "small business" to be in the top 1%. Do you think landscapers, liquor store owners, contractors, etc...fall into that 1% catergory? The taxes for real small businesses are still an impediment to many small business owners. Also, you are leaving out things like unemployment taxes, real estate taxes, and payroll taxes. Maybe it's not too bad in CT, but in RI it's almost impossible to own and operate a small business profitably.
Fishbones- sorry- I was responding to Sandman here and on another thread where we were going back and forth on what affect the Obama plan would have on taxes and I had pointed out that the plan would only hit the rich on their income-(salaries and bonuses and dividends and capital gains) and they would still be interested in being rich and making money even if the top rates went back to the clinton era. He said it was unfair that the top 1% richest taxpayers were paying 40% of the total tax.

As I understand the Obama plan-the tax rate on salaries over $250,000 would go up- As to small businesses- I agree with you that the cost of doing business is incredibly high- but Obama's tax plan does not make that worse-The taxes do not go up on a small business until Joe the Plumber has a good enough year that he has enough profit (after paying all expenses and materials and benefits and payroll taxes) to be able to pay himself $250,000 in salary and bonuses free and clear. Then Joe the Plumber on his personal 1040 would pay some more taxes under Obama as compaed to Bush. I think Joe the Plumber would be thrilled to be able to pay himself over $250,000 in bonuses and salary if he could.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #43
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
which you wont have to worry about if you have less than an ounce thanks to my vote!
must've been all that time spent in Frisco puffin' on that humboldt shrub
Old 11-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #44
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Doesnt bother me. I love being labeled by liberals. I've shared my background before, I am not a republican, Im in an inter-racial marriage, little mixed kiddies, lived, by my own choice in San Francisco for 6 years, been to more gay/lesbian weddings than anyone on this board, and (as of today!) I am a succesful leader in the financial industry. I have been more places in this country than your average American and my thoughts and beliefs are my own, not something I get from Rove, Repubs or any talking heads.
BSSB;
You didn't answer Jim's questions... he told you about himself...

And all of the above is why I direct a lot of my responses to Jim.
You tend to get an intelligent response, not rhetoric. Which is needed for good discussion, I disagree with Jim a lot, but still respect the opinions he posts.

ok, enough bon mots.

Liberals rule!

Last edited by RIROCKHOUND; 11-06-2008 at 01:54 PM..

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 11-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #45
Nebe

Oh.. Congratulations on what ever happened to you today Jim