Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Interesting opinion column on Huntsman

I actually like Huntsman as he seems like a genuine, common sense, guy who is not a complete idealog...

Jon Huntsman, the reasonable Republican - The Washington Post

interesting read.
this is not me taking a shot any particular candidate, but I think it speaks to the state of politics on both sides in this day and age....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-20-2011, 03:24 AM   #2
scottw

let's see, liberals such as Milbank and you "like" Huntsman..... but he can barely show a pulse in a republican primary, that should tell you all that you need to know about Huntsman, another Chaffee "republican" that can only get attention from the MSM if he's criticizing republicans, he is very popular with the lefties and would certainly be the democrat and MSM choice for the republican nomination, he's "reasonable"

...hey, he should run as an independent, positioning himself to the left of Obama.... all the while claiming to be a "real" conservative and when he loses he can write a book whining about how the republican party "left him"....

he's done
Old 10-20-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

So who gets your support? RINO Mitt?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-20-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
So who gets your support? RINO Mitt?
who gets my support is irrelevant at this point...the primary is a proving ground, still watching to see who steps up....a guy that many said had "no chance" is leading in a number of polls and a guy like Huntsman has proven that he has little in common with the republican electorate......as you and others have gone through the gamut of hopefuls bashing each in succession many of whom are barely in the conversation at this point it's been funny to watch the zeal to attack anyone who might challenge the inept current occupant while suggesting "acceptable" alternatives like Huntsman as the presidential candidate for a party that you would never vote for...

living in RI, who gets my support is completely irrelevant in the presidential election...but if I had to cast the deciding vote between RINO Mitt and Proven Disaster Marxist Obama...I'd have to go with RINO Mitt

Last edited by scottw; 10-20-2011 at 02:39 PM..
Old 10-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Raven

he's allot more Presidential
than Obama ever will be
Old 10-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
zimmy

Huntsman is way too reasonable (maybe that is just his schtick...) to make it through the primary. Same way the Reagan of 1979 would not make it through the primary. Not saying Huntsman is Reagan in any way, but they are much closer on the issues than any of the front runners.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:37 AM   #7
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Huntsman is way too reasonable (maybe that is just his schtick...) to make it through the primary. Same way the Reagan of 1979 would not make it through the primary. Not saying Huntsman is Reagan in any way, but they are much closer on the issues than any of the front runners.
trying to make sense of this...please explain which Reagan campaign promise or policy would cause a party that seems to be in perpetual search of the "next Reagan" to reject Reagan today....it was the "Jon Huntsman wing" of the Republican party that had a problem with Reagan if you recall, seems to me that Reagan would be the perfect candidate to dethrone Jimmy Carter II ..........I'd think Reagan's principles and ideals would be applicable and accepted by Republicans and many independents given our current situation.....
Old 10-22-2011, 03:23 AM   #8
scottw

like I said.....the most popular Republican.....with MSNBC hosts and the left....

MSNBC’s Chris Matthews rarely has kind words or praise for Republicans, but when he does, he gushes. During an interview with GOP presidential contender Jon Huntsman, the Hardball host disparaged the rest of the “crazy” Republican field while asserting the Utah Governor is the only one with his “feet on the ground.”

Matthews then thanked Huntsman profusely for his service as both a “great” governor and “fabulous” U.S. ambassador to China — and for being the “sane man in the Republican party.” He oozed:

“You know what I want to say to you? Thank you for your service. Thank you for your service, for being the sane man in the Republican Party. It reminds us there’s actually someone who has their feet on the ground.”

“Thank you. Very impressive, governor.

But that wasn’t enough. Matthews heaped even more praise on Huntsman, adding:

We all think we like you. We won‘t destroy you by saying you’re doing well, because that’ll probably kill you. Tell your friends to come over. We’d like to see some of them, too.”

I guess a flatline 2% in the Polls at this point is "doing well" according to Matthews...very impressive???....who is "crazy"???

Last edited by scottw; 10-22-2011 at 03:37 AM..
Old 10-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
like I said.....the most popular Republican.....with MSNBC hosts and the left....

MSNBC’s Chris Matthews rarely has kind words or praise for Republicans, but when he does, he gushes. During an interview with GOP presidential contender Jon Huntsman, the Hardball host disparaged the rest of the “crazy” Republican field while asserting the Utah Governor is the only one with his “feet on the ground.”

Matthews then thanked Huntsman profusely for his service as both a “great” governor and “fabulous” U.S. ambassador to China — and for being the “sane man in the Republican party.” He oozed:

“You know what I want to say to you? Thank you for your service. Thank you for your service, for being the sane man in the Republican Party. It reminds us there’s actually someone who has their feet on the ground.”

“Thank you. Very impressive, governor.

But that wasn’t enough. Matthews heaped even more praise on Huntsman, adding:

We all think we like you. We won‘t destroy you by saying you’re doing well, because that’ll probably kill you. Tell your friends to come over. We’d like to see some of them, too.”

I guess a flatline 2% in the Polls at this point is "doing well" according to Matthews...very impressive???....who is "crazy"???
Huntsman is exactly the kind who Matthews and the left media will gush over, promote as the candidate that should win the GOP nomination, then, like McCain, abandon him and vote for their own Democrat nominee in the general election, gleefully satisfied that the GOP was "reasonable" enough to put up a Democrat light to run against.