Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-07-2019, 05:46 AM   #31
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
This isn't really true, he definitely said there was a quid pro quo, he said he presumed it was directed by the president. The evidence overwhelmingly shows that it was...
you'd better get new carpeting for your safe space......
Old 12-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #32
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
From CNBC of all places...

"The end of the GM strike helped inflate the number, with 41,300 jobs added in motor vehicles and parts, but the overall gain in payrolls was still about 100,000 better than expected by many economists. Manufacturing gained 54,000 overall"
Yes it was. I am sure holiday hirings helped as well
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-07-2019, 08:31 AM   #33
scottw

November jobs report crushed snowflakes
Old 12-07-2019, 08:46 AM   #34
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post

Some are frustrated when they hear good news about the economy.
A good recession would make them feel smarter.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #35
wdmso

Quote:
you reflexively, instinctively cannot allow good news to stand.

'the poverty rate in NC is 15-20% in many counties.'

Curious why you picked NC. The capital city of uber-liberal Connecticut, one of the wealthiest states in the nation, and a city run by liberals for 75 years, is above 30%. So very curious why you picked NC...
Nc avg poverty rate is 14.7 they rank 37th

CT avg poverty rate is 9.6 they rank 5th

All data from talkpoverty.org

Seems NC and CT have issues... local political parties have little influence on national boom or doom trends .
Old 12-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #36
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Nc avg poverty rate is 14.7 they rank 37th

CT avg poverty rate is 9.6 they rank 5th

All data from talkpoverty.org

Seems NC and CT have issues... local political parties have little influence on national boom or doom trends .
CT is richer than NC (mostly because of our good fortune of having beautiful coastline near Manhattan, which NC does not have). Yet CT is losing popultion, and NC is growing. Do you know why that is? I do. It's because unlike CT, NC has some towns that are very cheap and that yet offer a very high quality of life. CT has precisely zero towns that are cheap with a high quality of life.

NC is booming, CT is circling the drain, drowning in debt. True or false? Connecticut's wealth cannot save it from 40 years of pure, unchecked liberalism.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 12-07-2019 at 10:26 AM..
Old 12-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #37
wdmso

Quote:
CT is richer than NC (mostly because of our good fortune of having beautiful coastline near Manhattan, which NC does not have). Yet CT is losing popultion, and NC is growing. Do you know why that is? I do. It's because unlike CT, NC has some towns that are very cheap and that yet offer a very high quality of life. CT has precisely zero towns that are cheap with a high quality of life.

NC is booming, CT is circling the drain, drowning in debt. True or false? Connecticut's wealth cannot save it from 40 years of pure, unchecked liberalism.
you struggle with relative facts.. 2017 to 2018 Connecticut's population has decreased from 3,573,880 to 3,572,665 or a total reduction of 1,215 people OMG NC has 6 million more people then CT i am guessing this hasn't happened over night NC also has a popular coast go to hilton head and see all the 900k houses

Children receiving food stamps (SNAP): 696,000 in NC
Children receiving food stamps (SNAP): 154,000 in CT

https://spotlightonpoverty.org/states/north-carolina/
https://spotlightonpoverty.org/states/connecticut/

and to pin the blame on Liberalism alone shows your lack of insight and inability to see the bigger picture .

The most popular previous residences for people moving to N.C. in 2017 were:

Florida (32K)
Virginia (29K)
South Carolina (27K)
New York (27K)
California (20K)

The fastest shrinking states
West Virginia.
Illinois. ...
Vermont. 1-yr pop. ...
Connecticut. 1-yr pop. ...
Wyoming. 1-yr pop. ...
Pennsylvania. 1-yr pop. ...
Mississippi. 1-yr pop. ...
New York. 1-yr pop. ...

Fastest growing states Utah Nevada Idaho Florida Washington Oregon Colorado Arizona and all for different reasons running from liberalism or conservatism.. Not high on most peoples reasons to move
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	66728  
Old 12-07-2019, 03:52 PM   #38
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
now they're Real
Old 12-07-2019, 04:25 PM   #39
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
NC also has a popular coast go to hilton head and see all the 900k houses
Hilton Head is in South Carolina

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-07-2019, 04:34 PM   #40
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Only for Republicans

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 12-07-2019, 06:07 PM   #41
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
i don’t know any wall street investment bankers who commute to the Outer Banks.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:11 PM   #42
Jim in CT

Quote:
you struggle with relative facts.. 2017 to 2018 Connecticut's population has decreased from 3,573,880 to 3,572,665 or a total reduction of 1,215 people OMG NC has 6 million more people then CT i am guessing this hasn't happened over night NC also has a popular coast go to hilton head and see all the 900k houses

Children receiving food stamps (SNAP): 696,000 in NC
Children receiving food stamps (SNAP): 154,000 in CT

https://spotlightonpoverty.org/states/north-carolina/
https://spotlightonpoverty.org/states/connecticut/

and to pin the blame on Liberalism alone shows your lack of insight and inability to see the bigger picture .

The most popular previous residences for people moving to N.C. in 2017 were:

Florida (32K)
Virginia (29K)
South Carolina (27K)
New York (27K)
California (20K)

The fastest shrinking states
West Virginia.
Illinois. ...
Vermont. 1-yr pop. ...
Connecticut. 1-yr pop. ...
Wyoming. 1-yr pop. ...
Pennsylvania. 1-yr pop. ...
Mississippi. 1-yr pop. ...
New York. 1-yr pop. ...

Fastest growing states Utah Nevada Idaho Florida Washington Oregon Colorado Arizona and all for different reasons running from liberalism or conservatism.. Not high on most peoples reasons to move
Cost of living is very high in reasons for moving. Cost of
living tends to be higher
in liberal states.

i’ve lives in CT my whole
life. The unfunded debt is 120 billion, which is 40,000 for every one of the 3 million people living there. So on top of current taxes which are insanely high, funding the debt requires another 160,000 for every family of 4.

having high taxes is bad. having impossible debt is bad. having both at the same time, requires next generation stupidity. And CT is as blue as it gets. Even you can connect those dots.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #43
Jim in CT

wdmso, for the tenth time, i never said every city in the Carolinas is great. It’s part of the deep south, which is suffering the horrible effects of a culture that never really embraced making good long term decisions.

But the Carolinas has something CT does not have. It has some places ( suburbs of charlotte) that are booming with good jobs and new construction, places which offer a high quality of life with a very low price tag. Not every place is like that in the Carolinas. But some are. CT has exactly zero such places.

Most places that young families are fleeing to ( good jobs, great schools, super low taxes) are in conservative states. I wouldn’t want to throw a dart at a map if NC and raise my kids wherever it landed. But there are places there that are far superior, i. terms of bang for the buck, than anything CT has to offer.

You can’t make that wrong, you just can’t. Here in CT our population is shrinking, only a few states can claim shrinking population and were one of them.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:41 PM   #44
wdmso

Quote:
wdmso, for the tenth time, i never said every city in the Carolinas is great. It’s part of the deep south, which is suffering the horrible effects of a culture that never really embraced making good long term decisions.

But the Carolinas has something CT does not have. It has some places ( suburbs of charlotte) that are booming with good jobs and new construction, places which offer a high quality of life with a very low price tag. Not every place is like that in the Carolinas. But some are. CT has exactly zero such places.

Most places that young families are fleeing to ( good jobs, great schools, super low taxes) are in conservative states. I wouldn’t want to throw a dart at a map if NC and raise my kids wherever it landed. But there are places there that are far superior, i. terms of bang for the buck, than anything CT has to offer.

You can’t make that wrong, you just can’t. Here in CT our population is shrinking, only a few states can claim shrinking population and were one of them.
Just saying things change for a million reasons
Old 12-07-2019, 07:56 PM   #45
Jim in CT

Quote:
Just saying things change for a million reasons
very true. But in CT, poll after poll shows that families and retirees are fleeing because of taxes. CT no longer has any value proposition.

My brother
moved his business and his family from CT to a spectacular suburb in Nashville. He saves over $1,000 a month in taxes.

I could move to NH tomorrow, buy a house exactly like
mine in a town with comparable schools near Boston, and save $700 a month in taxes. over a few decades, it’s hundreds of thousands of dollars. For what? What am I getting for that premium i pay? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. CT is a horribly, horribly run place. Businesses are moving to Massachusetts for the tax savings.

I can’t move because of
my parents, they’re older, they live a mile away, and they rely heavily on my wife to run them
around. And they won’t move. They’d be screwed if i left. If not for them, i’d be in NH in a flash. The tax savings would
pay for two of my kids to go to a public college. It’s mind boggling.

I have a 12 year old
minivan, and. a three year old pickup truck ( lowest tr version that Ford offers), and i pay $1,000 a year to my town in property taxes on those two cars.