Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Classifieds Area - NO COMMERCIAL POSTS WHATSOEVER » Classifieds

Classifieds Buy,Sell, or Swap for members only please. NO COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING - thanks... And if you sell something like a boat through here - throw us a couple bucks for the site please :D

Old 06-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Saltheart

Century Tip Tornado Light "Canal Casting machine"

This is a beast of a Canal rod. Its cut down to 10 feet 9 inches but do to the crankcase butt section there was no change to the action. It will cast 4 to 7 OZ farther than any other rod I know of at that length. Perfect for when the current is cranking and you need the heavier jigs to get down or for the minus tides when you want to get a big 4 OZ pencil popper out to the center. You could also use it as a long casting bait rod.

Its build conventional but the seat has no trigger. With the long cast guide layout you could easily use a spinning reel on it with no real lose of distance. i use a BG7000CL on it but often considered buying a big spool spinner like an emblem pro.

This is a high end autoclaved century blank. this is not like a stealth or Slingshot series Century. its one of the real casting beasts that Century first developed.

The blanks alone sell for $340 now. I want $250 for this finished rod which I built for myself. Its a plain black build but its all Fuji parts and a long cast guide layout.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Saltheart

Oh , BTW , this is not for a beginner. this is more for the expert level canal guy. If you are just starting at the canal or if you are physically impaired , this rod is not for you. This is for the Canal expert who wants to kick it up a notch.

Saltheart
Old 06-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
luv2flyfish

pics?

luv2flyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Saltheart

I'll try to get a picture up but there isn't much to see. Its all black . Very lightly used. With all fuji components and cork tape handle and foregrip. The guides are Silicon Carbige Fujis. Its two piece with the totally stiff crankcase butt and about a 70/30 split for the two sections. Machined Spigot ferrel.

Last edited by Saltheart; 06-24-2012 at 05:00 PM..

Saltheart
Old 06-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
WESTPORTMAFIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2flyfish View Post
pics?
He builds a nice rod. I had him build me a 1322 arra basic plane jane wrap with great components and a custom butt section. Great guide layout! He keeps it simple(only if you want) but doesn't skimp on the performance aspect. I was impressed how much thought went into the guides and layout. Sounds like a steal to me. Congrats to the guy who gets this rod for this price.
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:03 AM   #6
iamskippy

Sorry for my ignorance but your say its wraped conv. But it can be fished the way it sits now with a spinner? I was under the impression blanks were ment to bend 1 way and the guides needed to be layed out thusly.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
ruhroh

Thats when blanks have spines. I believe the autoclave process eliminates that.
ruhroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

That's a sweet set up Mike!

I have that blank sitting at my house waiting to get wrapped.

The auto claved rods are something special.

This is an amazing deal for someone.

Fully built the rod would retail in the 450-480 range.

And if you haven't seen rods mikes built they are pure fish catching machines, and he's methods for guide layouts will make your head hurt.

Good luck!!
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
Saltheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamskippy View Post
Sorry for my ignorance but your say its wraped conv. But it can be fished the way it sits now with a spinner? I was under the impression blanks were ment to bend 1 way and the guides needed to be layed out thusly.
No that's not correct. Any blank can be built spinner or conventional. This rod is optimized as a conventional but it just so happens that with no trigger on the reel seat and the layout that i used , it can be used as a spinner too.

Relative to the spine issue and twisting while fighting a fish , on spinners the spine is meaningless. On conventionals , there are many who do believe the spine location will cause twist while fighting a fish if its not aligned with the guides. I think this may have some merit but the twist do to guide pressure on the line is way , way higher than what the spine causes.

Now that said , this rod is spined to eliminate twist do to fish fighting as a conventional). As I said as a spinner that concept is meaningless so you are covered in both conventional or spinner applicatiuons.

now there is a school of thought that casting accuracy can be affected by psine. However casting accuracy will come whether the guides are aligned at 180 or 0 degrees to the spine. If its aligned at some odd angle it may throw the cast off a little but of course if your cast goes to far left the next cast you aim a little more right. this rod has the guides aligned on axis.

Just to clarify , i do often do decorative wraps. i charge extra though and many people want to go the economy route of all black with no art work. Almost all my rods are black and gold with crosswraps but this one I decided to build all black.

Saltheart
Old 07-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
Saltheart

Surprised there is no interest? Very nice rod for low money.

Saltheart
Old 07-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
Matt D

How would you compare the action of this rod to an Allstar 1209?
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
Saltheart

Tip is slightly more sensitive than a 1209 but the mid/butt end is more powerful. Overall It throws about the same weight range but can cast farther than a 1209 in the right hands.

Saltheart
Old 07-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #13
striperswiper75

What was the length of the rod blank before you cut it down? How would it match with a VS250 in terms of the setup? How far is the reel seat from the butt? Can it be shipped?

It all started last year during a terrible thunderstorm, when I locked myself out of the house. Shelving myself with a large piece of sheet metal, I ran for cover under the tallest tree I could find!
striperswiper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #14
Saltheart

I don't remember if it was 12 or 13 feet. I cut it all off the butt. The butt on this rod is virually untapered and inflexible. The butt section does not bend at all so all the action is in the tip section which I did not cut.

The VS 250 is a good size reel for this rod. I often thought of getting one for it.

The butt to reel center is about 28-30 inches. I will need to get a ladder to get it off the wall to measure exactly. I will get back to you on that.

It can be shipped but you would have to pay the shipping or I can meet you halfway, like maybe Saybrook for a pick up.

Saltheart
Old 07-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
TS_Morgan

150 picked up Thursday ?

Team Sanchez keeping them honest
TS_Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #16
Saltheart

Too low. I pm'ed you.

Saltheart