Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 04-14-2003, 03:52 PM   #1
Notaro
None

How do we avoid getting Seasick and Motion Sickness

All of you probably know that I'm going on a charter fishing trip. And I would like to look for medicines or methods to prevent myself from getting a seasick. Any Idea?
Notaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:35 PM   #2
Jimbo

Seasick prevention

I have used Transderm Scop in the past. You need a prescription for it, but it's a small patch you put behind your ear before you leave (that's key to most medecines and remedies you can't take 'em after you're sick because you'll probably be on your way in by the time they take effect). I've heard people say it left them feeling less out of sorts than Dramamine, however all I felt was a little thirsty (though the patch may not have been the cause at all). I only use it when I know I'm going to be completely out of sight of land, but it works well for me.
There was another thread on "Ginger" in another one of the forums today, too. I read somewhere that ginger in any form is helpful, so I usually take along ginger ale and ginger snaps. If it's supposed to be cold I've been told ginger tea is pretty good tasting, too.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 05:10 PM   #3
Notaro
None

i see. i don't understand some anti-motion sickness medicines don't always work sometimes. i took a dramamine last summer when i went fishing with my pop on the party boat in plum isle. i took it while i was on the boat and sailing to the spot. so i should take whatever anti-motion sickness medicines before boarding on a boat?
Old 04-14-2003, 06:34 PM   #4
Team Rock On

You should read the directions on the medication you are going to take. Some require you to take it many hours before you hit the water.
Team Rock On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:42 PM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I had good luck with Bonine, it is usually next to the Dramamine in the pharmacy. Bonine doesn't cause drowsiness.

Ginger works well.

There is some real all natural ginger ale from health food stores you could drink while out there as well as take the pills.

have fun
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:43 PM   #6
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Take it ahead of time!
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:14 PM   #7
Notaro
None

alright, thanks, guys.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:20 PM   #8
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Notaro et al, I'm gonna bounce this over to the main forum as this section is more for written How Tos and advice instead of questions...

Thanx

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:43 PM   #9
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
Grin and Bear it!!
macojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:43 PM   #10
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
Great Chum!!
macojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 06:47 AM   #11
Fishpart
Keep The Change

I get mildly sea sick in the worst conditions, so I can ususally just deal with it and go back to work.

Tips I use:
Stay on the weather deck if possible, if not at least stay where you can see the horizon. If you lay down in a warm still cabin you're DEAD.

Avoid food that would normally make your stomach feel funny.

Take some plain crackers and ginger ale in the event you do get sick or start feeling queasy.

Get a good nights sleep the night before if possible, you are certainly in for trouble if you show up at the boat with a throbbing headache and a hangover.

Some guys can talk themselves into being sick just to get you going avoid them at all costs!!!!!

ENJOY YOUR TRIP!

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:29 AM   #12
Van
zoom

Don't know its never happened to me...YET !!!!

Watch what you eat, but I've heard its better to make sure your stomach IS NOT empty. So you should eat something small and during the whole day at sea.

Good Luck..

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:05 AM   #13
Mr. Kav
I'll go fishing tuna or later

what ever you do don't think of a liver sandwich served in a dirty ash tray.
Mr. Kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:38 AM   #14
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

...my suggestion is DON'T sit inside during the boat ride out. The smell(s), whether they're from greasy breakfast dishes prepared on board, or the old dude who's been going for the last 3 days straight with NO change of clothes or the guy who threw up 15 minutes into the ride out.....Stand outside with the wind in your face...thinking about the pool winner your going to catch the minute he says...."Lines IN!!"

Don't be thinking...."am I going to get sick", that'll do you in all the time. The night before, it's important to rest up, and eat solid foods. Bring plently of grub for the ride too. Try to get into conversation too, that will keep your mind off things..and INTO fish....you should have NO problem in that category

Good Luck-

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:47 AM   #15
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Lightbulb

Notaro,

Write this down.

WHAT JIMBO SAID.

TRANSDERM SCOP PRESCRIPTION PATCHES.

Go see your doc and get a prescription. It isn't that much $$$ and I swear by this medication! It has yet to fail me. All you need to do is put it on behind your ear TWO HOURS before you get on the boat. Typical side efffects are slight dizziness and dry mouth.

The problem I've had with Dramamine/Bonine is that it can make you drowsy, and it hasn't always worked for me. I remember back in Spring 2000 - I was on the Miss Hatteras (NC) party boat. Took the dramamine a few hours before the boat left the dock.

An hour into the trip I couldn't stop hurling and I was dredging up bloody bile by the time the final "lines up" was called. I thought I was going to die.

If you're prone to seasickness (and nearly everyone is) - DON'T MESS AROUND AND GET THE Rx PATCH.

http://www.transdermscop.com

-WW
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:51 AM   #16
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
..I couldn't stop hurling and I was dredging up bloody bile by the time the final "lines up" was called. I thought I was going to die...
Fishing at it's Best!!.....eh weewee

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:53 AM   #17
Mr. Sandman

Fish from the beach.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:54 AM   #18
STEVE IN MASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Kav
what ever you do don't think of a liver sandwich served in a dirty ash tray.
Dave, did ya say you wanted beets and onions with that?.....
STEVE IN MASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 10:27 AM   #19
FishermanTim

How about a greasy undercooked egg, with greasy home fries and a cup of day old instant coffee. (Ok, the instant coffee was "fresh", but I' do agree about watching the horizen, eating solid foods (pretzels, cookies etc...) try to limit your fluid intake because the more fluid in your stomach, the more it sloshes around. I got sick once on a charter boat, but it was like being in the SS Minnow in the open scenes of GILLIGAN'S ISLAND. Anything you can do to keep your mind busy, such as talking or reading, will help. Then there's always the pills and patches if you so decide. Good luck, and if you think you might be "chumming", bring along some gum or mints.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 10:51 AM   #20
Mr. Sandman

I have seen a lot of sailors using the patch on rough days. They claim it works but you may feel weird. (weird is better then sick IMO) I would see a doctor and get the patch if your really have a problem. I have only gotten sick a couple times in my life but I know how you feel, it really sucks. Here is what I do prior to a big fishing trip.

1) never booze the night prior to fishing...a hangover is not the way to start the fishing day.

2) get a good nights sleep

3) eat a good meal but don't pig out.

4) I like to drink a carbonated drink (coke) and let out a bletch now and then

5) I also like to eat tunafish on white toast while on board. (I don't know why but it makes me feel better) (My uncle use to like sardines and onion on pumpernickle but I could not go for it.)

6) Stay away from exhaust fumes. Esp diesel. You can get sick just from them.

7) Boats have a point about which they pitch, for most it is near amidships...find it and park yourself there. Avoid bow and stern.

8) Breath fresh air

9) avoid enclosed places

10) focus on the horizon

11) use those sea-legs

12) If you feel crappy try and go to sleep. (find a bunk near amidships...I use to crash on the flying bridge as a kid)

13) Don't volenteer to chum

14) If you smoke pot and you feel sick, this is a good time to do that (pot is (sometimes) given to cancer patients to handle vomiting from the Chemo drugs.) Consult your doctor...

15) Don't drink adult beverages while on board.

16) Keep your head out of the bildge (that is how I got sick... during a shark tourn. 30 miles off shore, the #1 bildge pump crapped out. Trying to repair it I had my head in there for about 30 minutes and it was really rough and I got pretty sick.)

17) take a dump prior to leaving the dock.

I also think that when it gets REALLY rough...fear takes over and you don't feel so sick anymore.

Thats all that come to mind now... or you could take up golf!

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 04-15-2003 at 10:56 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 10:59 AM   #21
Van
zoom

Quote:
If you smoke pot and you feel sick, this is a good time to do that ...
I feel sick right now !!!

Guess I'll just take an aspirin...

Heard a story about a couple of guys out fishing after a bad night of partying.
Guy #1 is losing everything including the pineapple dish from his last meal.
Guy #2 is into some nice fish, and when he brings it to the boat the fish yaks up.....YES you guessed it...pineapple.....

WOW this fish is throw'n up your throwup MAN........

Could be true or BS, but its funny either way....

Last edited by Van; 04-15-2003 at 01:14 PM..

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 11:22 AM   #22
fishweewee

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by bloocrab
Fishing at it's Best!!.....eh weewee
Bloo - last time I felt that way was when I was in school...when I ended up in the hospital for alcohol poisoning.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:23 AM   #23
Jenn

Guess I am lucky because I have never been sea sick! In fact I have the complete opposite of that problem.....I find it very soothing and it makes me wanna sleep! (NOT that Ive ever done that or anything!!! )
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 11:27 AM   #24
fishweewee

Lightbulb

Jenn I was the same way.

For years, I never had a problem. In fact, I used to poke fun at other guys who would get sick on boats.

Then ... boom! One outing and I was begging for shore.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:35 AM   #25
Jenn

oh GREAT....CURSED by the wee man!
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 11:39 AM   #26
fishweewee

Talking

Jenn-

Remember Murphy's Law.

And...

Never say "never!"
Old 04-15-2003, 01:10 PM   #27
Saltheart

Definitely saty outside. going below to sit or lie down cause you start to feel bad is a sure thing to get you sick.

Take the Bonine ,dramamine , etc about 2 hours before

Bring crunchy foods like carrat sticks , apples , peanuts. Anything that you have to crunch to chew. Supposedly the crunching vibrates the inner ear and helps keep away the sickness. Bring extra fluids just in case you do get sick. Its good to have something you can barf up instaed of the dry heaves. Also , you ned to stay hydrated if you do start barfing so bring the fluids.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:05 PM   #28
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I've only been seasick once in my life---result of a very rich dinner the previous evening and sitting in a small cramped cabin where some old-timer was smoking a pipe.

I heaved the dinner over the rail, sat outside the rest of the ride out, and everything was fine the rest of the day. Even tho we were rolling on 6-8 foot swells at anchor on the cod grounds.

Get out of the cabin and onto the deck at all costs--even on those January cod trips. Dress warm and stand in the lee of the cabin at the stern, and the cold won't be so bad.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:41 PM   #29
Notaro
None

wow, so many advices here... i'm starting to feel a little more confident on going on a boat trip this saturday and this summer.

bloocrab- that's exactly what im talking about! some party boats like captains fishin, tend to cook greasy breakfast and lunch meals and i dont understand why they have to cook those on a trip. and that what makes me sick. and also i ate a little of them. i don't normally tend to eat before getting aboard and cruising to the sea.

sandman- i liked your list of tips. smoking pot? it's illegal to bring it on the boat, but unless i can get a doctor note and bring it to the captain's fishing and show them my slip and they can do anythign about it. is it possible for me to do that? but i don't think it will be allowed.

fishweewee- lol, that was funny. u used to poke at some guys who get sick on the boat... i used to poke at my mom for getting motion sickness. but i stopped doing that for a couple years.

these advices were very helpful, except for the sardines and tuna sandwiches, they make me feel a little quasy now. i cannot wait to follow them.

Last edited by Notaro; 04-15-2003 at 02:45 PM..
Old 04-15-2003, 03:01 PM   #30
Christian
viva the plug-o-lution

Send a message via AIM to Christian
havent gotten really seasick before, maybe a little where you better look at the horizon or theres going to be a problem. nothing serious like puking. ive been on a boat before where we had to turn around cause they though a guy was gonig to die he was so sick. i sort of make it my duty to not be him.

dont drink milk!!! ive seen that way to many times. ive heard the aww geeze i shouldnt have drunk that 1/2 gallon milk shake this morning a few times.

dont look at the wake or stare at that mezmorizing bow wave. youll be gone in a few seconds that way.

stay outside, find an uncrowded place to stand away from groups of people.

sleep, diesal engines will lul you to sleep, if your hardcore and get up at 430 to get to the stern or bow this wont be a problem.

eat, not eating will lower your blood sugar really bad and youll get sick wicked fast. bacon+egg+english muffin+ the old lady on the boat's cooking skills= me happy

live to fish. fish to live. rod tips high.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote