Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

MIAA Super Bowl. Penalty was called on the ball carrier. Did you see anything? The kid was called for putting his arm up in the air.... TD was called back and it cost them the game.... That it messed up.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post

MIAA Super Bowl. Penalty was called on the ball carrier. Did you see anything? The kid was called for putting his arm up in the air.... TD was called back and it cost them the game.... That it messed up.
Yeah--he put his arm in the air around the 20 when he figured he was in the clear. Probably with his index finger extended.

I'm not up on the HS rules here, but I would think there's some rule prohibiting "taunting" at minimum (arguably that could be interpreted as taunting), and possibly premature celebrations. Whether the rule should have been enforced for something that trivial is another story.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
ecduzitgood
time to go

If its a rule then it has to be followed, if you let one person break the rules then everyone will.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
If its a rule then it has to be followed, if you let one person break the rules then everyone will.
"But, before the game, both teams were warned about unnecessary celebrations."

Touchdown Celebration Costs High School Team A Super Bowl Title CBS Boston

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
fishbones

Kind of a crappy call. He raised his hand (with no index finger extended) up for a second and put it right down. I wouldn't consider it taunting or celebrating excessively. I understand them not wanting the kids to act like the jackasses in college and the pros, but to raise your hand up like that kid did is not deserving of a penalty in my book. The ref screwed that one up and should be taken to task for it.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Apparently, the same kid was flagged for taunting earlier in the game. If that was the case, I can't blame the ref here.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
FishermanTim

Why even bother to put on a charade of "competetive sports" if you can't even celebrate?
I'm not talking about taunting, or some end-zone idiot dance, but simple joyous celebrating!
If that's going to be the case, they better get rid of ALL celebratory actions before and after the games as well.
That means NO MORE BANDS, because what if your band is better than theirs?
That means NO MORE PRAYERS, PERIOD, because that could offend someone that is visiting from another country!
That means NO MORE CHEERS AND CHEERLEADERS because what if your cheers are better than theirs?

Basically it means that they should just give up football altogether and maybe take up gardening or dance!

From the info I have seen and heard, this new "rule" was only just put in place this year. WHY? Who got offended last year, and complained like a little b*tch because they lost their game?
Second, it was a championship game, and the game winning drive!
If the officials were instructed to "crack down" on this increasingly dangerous trend of "celebrating a victory, they had better be doing the same across the entire league. If there is even one example of the same call NOT being made, then the school will have it's day in court!

I would like to know what horse's ass was the genius that decided that taking the celebrating out of football was going to be a good thing? Probably some jack-hole whose kid wasn't good enough to be on the starting lineup, but made the squad due to mommy or daddy's "influence", and their "superstar" child didn't get to play all the time and just warmed the bench!

On the flip-side, I wonder just how proud Blue Hills HS is, know how they won the championship?
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
Raven

that Video looks edited to me....

where his fingers are supposed to be i see a green cube

Last edited by Raven; 12-07-2011 at 08:07 AM..
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

I don't know the rule, but if there is a rule that would call back a touchdown because of an instinctive human response, then it's a very bad rule.

I can see rules against blatant taunting and such, but this is a perfect example of where we are as a society and this is it -->

We are no longer willing to trust people in authority, whether they be teachers, referees, etc. to make reasonable judgments; therefore, we over-react and take these zero tolerance approaches so that no one is ever second guessed.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #11
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

I wish I had a video of a touchdown celebration I did in 87' way before the YouTube days. We beat Westfield which was undefeated and on their way to a Western Mass Superbowl. We smoked them 21-0 and I had one of my best games ever. I caught 6 passes for over 100yards and I caught the final touchdown and carried on in the endzone for several minutes. The ref was trying to get the ball from me as I was running towards my Mom who was standing in the corner of the endzone where I made the catch. In the school video you see me running off the field in that corner of the endzone trying to get to my mom but being swamped by my teammates in a big pile. No penalty! I actually had a sack in that game too and stood over the QB with my foot placed on his chest as he was trying to get up. What I punk I was! I actually have a photo taken by the yearbook photographer of me making that catch. I'll try and find it and post it.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 12-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Sorry if I'm hi-jacking. Found the pic. This time of year always brings out the football in me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Game Winner.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	49555  

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 12-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
Saltheart

Yep , football is becoming a totally new game than most of us played and watch our whole lives. Some changes to limit injuries may be OK but stuff like this is out of control trying to take the personality out of the game and the players. Next they will be calling back a TD if you are smiling for the last ten yards when you run it in.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #14
boot man

I dont see whay he did to taunt, but here is the rule:

ARTICLE 1. There shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct or any act that interferes with orderly game administration on the part of players, substitutes, coaches, authorized attendants or any other persons subject to the rules, before the game, during the game or between periods. Infractions for these acts by players are administered as either live-ball or dead-ball fouls depending on when they occur.
a. Specifically prohibited acts and conduct include:

1. No player, substitute, coach or other person subject to the rules shall use abusive, threatening or obscene language or gestures, or engage in such acts that provoke ill will or are demeaning to an opponent, to game officials or to the image of the game, including but not limited to:

(a) Pointing the finger(s), hand(s), arm(s) or ball at an opponent, or imitating the slashing of the throat.

(b) Taunting, baiting or ridiculing an opponent verbally.

(c) Inciting an opponent or spectators in any other way, such as simulating the firing of a weapon or placing a hand by the ear to request recognition.

(d) Any delayed, excessive, prolonged or choreographed act by which a player (or players) attempts to focus attention upon himself (or themselves).

(e) An unopposed ball carrier obviously altering stride as he approaches the opponent’s goal line or diving into the end zone.

(f) Removal of a player’s helmet before he is in the team area (Exceptions: Team, media or injury timeouts; equipment adjustment; through play; between periods; and during a measurement for a first down).

(g) Punching one’s own chest or crossing one’s arms in front of the chest while standing over a prone player.

(h) Going into the stands to interact with spectators, or bowing at the waist after a good play.
boot man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

“When you get in the endzone, act like you've been there before.” - Bear Bryant

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 12-07-2011 at 09:59 AM..

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
“When you get in the endzone, act like you've been there before.” - Bear Bryant
That's the same outlook I have except for me it's darts....act like you've done it before.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #17
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
That's the same outlook I have except for me it's darts....act like you've done it before.
I used to have some Anger Management Issues when I shot Darts.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #18
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I used to have some Anger Management Issues when I shot Darts.
Me too, now I have a cut tendon from breaking a beer bottle against a wall. I now have a middle finger that stands straight, I give the bird to everyone when I throw my darts now, it's involuntary taunting and not against the rules ...roflao
Old 12-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #19
fishbones

Darts is a bar game, like pool or Golden Tee. I wouldn't really compare it to an 18 year old kid who's excited because he has a chance to do something that has never before been done at his school.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 12-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #20
Sea Dangles

Ref made a kneejerk call. I am sure he wishes he could take it back but he can't. Reminds me of the wrong call that cost the pitcher a perfect game.One was a professional umpire and still made a mistake. It is High School football.

Uh, no he does not need to offer a public apology.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #21
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Darts is a bar game, like pool or Golden Tee. I wouldn't really compare it to an 18 year old kid who's excited because he has a chance to do something that has never before been done at his school.
JUST A BAR GAME!!!!...you've Obviously never shot in a league before. Heathen

Thats like saying Sam Adams is just another American Beer......

Old 12-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #22
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

The kid's big mistake was doing it at the 22. It could be interpreted as a "nyah, nyah, you can't catch me" gesture. If he waited until the 5, I think that they would have let it go.

In the abstract, the call looks excessive. But--did he get flagged earlier in the game for taunting, as numbskull reported on the other site? Did the refs take the coaches and captains aside before the kick-off and warn about stuff like this, as I've also heard? Is there a prior "history" between these two teams, from a time when they were in the same conference? Or did one of the teams have a similar problem during the first play-off round game?

Refs don't generally take coaches and captains aside before a game and read them the riot act about taunting and premature celebrations, if that's what happened.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #23
Backbeach Jake

If you can't give the opposition a little dig here and there then there is no reason to play the game. Football is war ritualized. There's gonna be and should be hurt feelings.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #24
Saltheart

I think the mental attitude of coaches who taught their players to tackle high and use your helmet and put guys out of games was all wrong in the 60's to 70's. I do however think that with zero input from outside , even an 8 year olds are going to cheer and jump up and down if they score a TD. Its rediculous to write rules to try to take that out of the game. Of course you can't spit on an opponent or rub his face in the mud but simple cheering , yelling , raising the ball etc is just a natural reaction. Todays liberals would rather not see competitive sports played at all and if they must be played , don't keep score.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #25
Backbeach Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
I think the mental attitude of coaches who taught their players to tackle high and use your helmet and put guys out of games was all wrong in the 60's to 70's. I do however think that with zero input from outside , even an 8 year olds are going to cheer and jump up and down if they score a TD. Its rediculous to write rules to try to take that out of the game. Of course you can't spit on an opponent or rub his face in the mud but simple cheering , yelling , raising the ball etc is just a natural reaction. Todays liberals would rather not see competitive sports played at all and if they must be played , don't keep score.
I can agree with that. I'm a liberal though. These new rules aren't made by liberals they're made by losers.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #26
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
The kid's big mistake was doing it at the 22. It could be interpreted as a "nyah, nyah, you can't catch me" gesture. If he waited until the 5, I think that they would have let it go.

In the abstract, the call looks excessive. But--did he get flagged earlier in the game for taunting, as numbskull reported on the other site? Did the refs take the coaches and captains aside before the kick-off and warn about stuff like this, as I've also heard? Is there a prior "history" between these two teams, from a time when they were in the same conference? Or did one of the teams have a similar problem during the first play-off round game?

Refs don't generally take coaches and captains aside before a game and read them the riot act about taunting and premature celebrations, if that's what happened.

Exactly Mike. I heard a couple of the parents from both teams on the radio last night and the kid was flagged earlier that game for the same thing on a non scoring play though. The play in question took place with over 6 minutes left in the game and they had 2 more opportunities to score and on the last opportunity that QB threw an INT. The more I read and hear about this the more I side with the official as hard as it is for to do being a former out of control athlete that loved to taunt and get inside the heads of other players.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 12-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #27
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Still think it's a crappy call. The rules suck, and the fact that they have to have such rules suck. Commentary on our society, I guess, on both the taunters and the tauntees.... It was our form of gladiators. The chit that happens and is said on the line and on the field is part of the game, at least it was. It is not always nice. I have been on the receiving end as well. Have to have played to appreciate I guess. Some of today's infractions and "acts" are over the top, I give you that. But watching the NHL highlights last night, I was struck by the raising of sticks after every goal... Only a matter of time before some group starts calling for that to be banned as taunting.... Another example of the woosification of America.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #28
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Still think it's a crappy call. The rules suck, and the fact that they have to have such rules suck. Commentary on our society, I guess, on both the taunters and the tauntees.... It was our form of gladiators. The chit that happens and is said on the line and on the field is part of the game, at least it was. It is not always nice. I have been on the receiving end as well. Have to have played to appreciate I guess. Some of today's infractions and "acts" are over the top, I give you that. But watching the NHL highlights last night, I was struck by the raising of sticks after every goal... Only a matter of time before some group starts calling for that to be banned as taunting.... Another example of the woosification of America.
Well said, Ross. The refs shouldn't determine the outcome of the game, the players should. What's next, they disallow a goal in hockey if a player pumps their fist or they don't count a basket in basketball if a player high fives a teammate after a nice shot?

Old 12-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #29
redcrbbr
here fishy fishy

Send a message via ICQ to redcrbbr Send a message via AIM to redcrbbr Send a message via Yahoo to redcrbbr
spoke with a good friend whose son played in the game for blue hills and was at the game. that was the second time cathedral was penalized for taunting or showing emotion. doesn't make it right, but i guess you have to feel the pain before you learn.

redcrbbr
of all the things i've lost...i miss my mind the most!!

redcrbbr is offline   Reply With Quote