Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-16-2016, 02:23 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Who is Rubio kidding?

In his drop-out speech last night, he said "While this may not have been the year for a hopeful and optimistic message about our future, I still remain hopeful and optimistic about America"

So according to Rubio, making fun of Trump's donger, is akin to "a hopeful and optimistic message about our future"?

Scram, kid. Come back when you have some dignity. I really liked this guy (thought for sure he was going to be Romney's VP pick in 2012, and still feel he should have been, as Paul Ryan couldn't even deliver his home state), I could not believe the levels to which Rubio stooped near the end.

How can it be that Trump is in the lead, and yet one of the most dignified, intellectually serious politicians of my lifetime (Bobby Jindal) couldn't even get a seat at the adults' debate? I always thought a Bobby Jindal / Condaleeza Rice ticket would be something to be proud of. Instead I'll get Donald Trump / Howard Stern.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:49 PM   #2
spence

You're going to be voting for Clinton before all is said and done.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-17-2016, 05:20 AM   #3
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I was thinking the same thing I thought Rubio's speech was pretty good .
Old 03-17-2016, 06:51 AM   #4
scottw

Quote:
I wonder if Obama will pardon Hillary or if she'll have to campaign from prison?
Old 03-17-2016, 07:17 AM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I wonder if Obama will pardon Hillary or if she'll have to campaign from prison?
I'm glad at least you have hope.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I was thinking the same thing I thought Rubio's speech was pretty good .
It WOULD have been a great speech, had it not been coming from the same guy who made fun of Trump's manhood, 48 hours before said speech. You can't lower yourself to talking like Al Bundy, and then claim that you lost because you were too noble and optimistic and mature...
Old 03-17-2016, 08:39 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
That will never happen! When the unborn would all choose the GOP candidate, and the jihadists would all prefer the Democratic candidate, my decision has been made. But this year, I may really have to plug my nose when I vote for whoever the Republican is.

I finally saw some math last night. Trump needs 58% of the remaining delegates to get more than 50% of the total. That's unlikely. So he'll probbaly go to the convention, with more delegates than anyone else, but less than 50% o fth etotal.

The delegates have a first vote, in which they are pledged to vote according to their state's primary. Again, that will likely give Trump the most of anyone, but less than 50%. If it's less than 50%, the delegates are all officially "released", and they eventually vote again. That's how it works on the GOP side. In that event, there's a good chance they won't give it to Trump.

I have always said that when there are more than 2 candidates, if the leader didn't get at least 50%, you should have a runoff between the top 2. I don't think that's the least bit unfair.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #8
Nebe

Bernie jim..... Bernie.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Bernie jim..... Bernie.
Tell you what. You show me his plan for raising the money to pay for all our current debt ($20 trillion), plus all our unfunded liabilities for SS and Medicare (at least another $40 trillion), plus pay for all the other freebies he's promising, and it's a realistic plan that will (1) raise that much $$, and (2) not bring our economy to its knees, and I will donate a day's pay to his campaign, and put his sign on my lawn.

Let me say this about Bernie...while i don't agree with him on anything, here are 2 things I respect about him. First, when you ask him a direct question about his platform, you get a direct answer. He knows that many will hate his answer, but that doesn't stop him from answering directly. No one else, on either side, does that. Second, he has run a campaign that is centered on speaking about his ideas. Unlike Hilary, he doesn't spend every waking moment telling everyone why republicans are worse than the Nazis. He just concentrates on his ideas, he doesn't constsntly bash everyone else (maybe a little on the economy, but not too bad).

We could all follow his lead. Tell us your ideas, and why they are the right ideas. If you have fact-based criticisms of your opponent, that's fair, but I don't want to hear one syllable about the size of the other guy's wee-wee.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:14 AM   #10
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
That will never happen! When the unborn would all choose the GOP candidate, and the jihadists would all prefer the Democratic candidate, my decision has been made. But this year, I may really have to plug my nose when I vote for whoever the Republican is.

I finally saw some math last night. Trump needs 58% of the remaining delegates to get more than 50% of the total. That's unlikely. So he'll probbaly go to the convention, with more delegates than anyone else, but less than 50% o fth etotal.

The delegates have a first vote, in which they are pledged to vote according to their state's primary. Again, that will likely give Trump the most of anyone, but less than 50%. If it's less than 50%, the delegates are all officially "released", and they eventually vote again. That's how it works on the GOP side. In that event, there's a good chance they won't give it to Trump.

I have always said that when there are more than 2 candidates, if the leader didn't get at least 50%, you should have a runoff between the top 2. I don't think that's the least bit unfair.
I don't agree . I believe my vote should count . Funny you calling Trump a " con artist " but you are ok with the GOP pulling a stunt like this . I'm not ok with anyone getting The nomination with less votes then whoever is in front . I can't believe the gall of someone like Kasich thinking he has a right to it .
If the GOP upsets the will of the people they dig thier own grave . That being said I think he gets to 50%
Old 03-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I don't agree . I believe my vote should count . Funny you calling Trump a " con artist " but you are ok with the GOP pulling a stunt like this . I'm not ok with anyone getting The nomination with less votes then whoever is in front . I can't believe the gall of someone like Kasich thinking he has a right to it .
If the GOP upsets the will of the people they dig thier own grave . That being said I think he gets to 50%
"I believe my vote should count"

I agree, i thiunk the top 2 should have a national runoff where voters get to choose. If you come in first with 49% of the vote, that means more people voted gainst you than for you, so I don't think you deserve anything based on that.

"Funny you calling Trump a " con artist "

You kep saying that. Maybe I did, but I thought someone elkse came up with that.

"you are ok with the GOP pulling a stunt like this"

Those are th erules of the GOP, and Trump deciuded (this time anyway) that he was a Republican and wanted to run as such. They didn't implement these rules specifically top stop him, those rules were there long before he announced he was running. But I agree, it seems un-democratic fo delegates (who aren't elected) to overrule the wishes of the people. But if the majority of the voters want someone other than Trump, and we get someone other than Trump, that's not the same as if Bernie won the most pledged delegates and the superdelegates steal it from him. That's my opinion, and you could make a strong argument that I am wrong. It's a tough issue.

"That being said I think he gets to 50%"

Part of me hopes that you are right, so that people at least feel good about the integrity of the process.

You made a compelling point, you sure did.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:16 AM   #12
scottw

Quote:

But I agree, it seems un-democratic fo delegates (who aren't elected) to overrule the wishes of the people.

"That being said I think he gets to 50%"

Part of me hopes that you are right, so that people at least feel good about the integrity of the process.

You made a compelling point, you sure did.
surely it's OK to overrule the wishes of all of the racist, xenophobic, sexist, bigoted, punch you in the face knuckleheads supporting Trump......you saw them out there breaking stuff and shouting obscenities at little kids, injuring police people and obstructing ambulances....didn't you???...oh wait those were the punch you in the face and bring a gun to a knife fight leftists
Old 03-17-2016, 10:48 AM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
surely it's OK to overrule the wishes of all of the racist, xenophobic, sexist, bigoted, punch you in the face knuckleheads supporting Trump......you saw them out there breaking stuff and shouting obscenities at little kids, injuring police people and obstructing ambulances....didn't you???...oh wait those were the punch you in the face and bring a gun to a knife fight leftists
Gee, when you put it that way...

I kee asking when was the last time a liberal speaker was forced off the stage by a conservative riot, and the closest answer I got was what happened at Kent State, as if throwing rocks at National Guardsman, is the same thing as Ann Coulter stepping up to a podium, where she has been invited, to read off a piece of paper. All that liberal tolerance.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #14
spence

Quote:
Gee, when you put it that way...

I kee asking when was the last time a liberal speaker was forced off the stage by a conservative riot, and the closest answer I got was what happened at Kent State, as if throwing rocks at National Guardsman, is the same thing as Ann Coulter stepping up to a podium, where she has been invited, to read off a piece of paper. All that liberal tolerance.
Wait until you see the republican riots when trump doesn't get the nomination
Old 03-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #15
scottw

Quote:
now that would be historic... as I can't think of any other republican riots...certainly nothing that can hold a candle to the left in this regard
Old 03-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #16
buckman

Quote:
Careful what you wish for ,there are a lot of independent's that are going to be upset also .
It will just be another product of the Obama legacy that history will be so kind to .
Old 03-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #17
scottw

great question....

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...blicans-blamed
Old 03-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
As of now, I can say that my side doesn't resort to feral anarchy when we don't get our way. Your side cannot make that claim. But I am curoius to see how that would play out. If they riot, I will never be able to throw that in your face again.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:06 PM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
now that would be historic... as I can't think of any other republican riots...certainly nothing that can hold a candle to the left in this regard
Correct. We especially don't riot just because someone is saying something we don't agree with. But if people feel like their nominee was stolen out from underneath them? Let's say that if we pass that test, we will REALLY have something to hold over their heads.

I am confident (though not certain) we won't act like liberals (i.e., feral animals) if Trump isn't the nominee.