Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 05-05-2004, 07:41 AM   #1
GBOUTDOORS

Send a message via AIM to GBOUTDOORS
Should a Moderator?????

Should a moderator at least pm you and let you know WHY he edited your posts so you will know what he finds bad about it or just wipe yours and others out and say nothing at all??????? I for one would like to know if I have offended someone and how so it would not happen again As of now I feel very sad that I may have hurt someones feelings and do not know who or how Oh lets get real I DON't CARE if you did not like what I posted as I know it could not be and would not be hurtfull to anyone. Now be a man and own up to wiping my posts out.

21' striper D/C Yamaha 150 HPDI named PLAIN JANE
GBOUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:12 AM   #2
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

GB, what you wrote was very disrespectful. It will NOT be tolerated on these, or any other boards that you may be a member of. If you continue to instigate & antagonize members of this board, you will be diciplined with a heavy hand. We will NO longer put up with any BS from ANY members; seniors or otherwise. There are a set of guidelines provided just in case you have forgotten the agreement you "clicked" yes to when you first became a member of this site. If you need a refresher, contact the site administrator. If you choose to terminate your membership here, you don't have to ask to have your account deleted, simply STOP posting AND STOP lurking.

This goes for all members of the board. If you fail to comply with these rules your IP address will be denied access.

I have spoken -

Attached Images

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:43 AM   #3
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

I will be moving threads to where they belong. If I feel a thread belongs in the "Scuppers", it will find it's way there, if it needs to be in the "Grumpage Room"...so be it. If it needs to go to the Recylcling Bin....I will also gladly deposit it there.

Moving forward, this board will NO longer tolerate any type of insubordinence.

If you find that you can NO longer post on these boards, there's nothing wrong with your PC, it means that your posting privileges have been suspended. There will be NO warnings issued. Accept the punishment OR move on.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:57 AM   #4
Bliz

Send a message via AIM to Bliz Send a message via Yahoo to Bliz
You're kidding right?....

GB has to be one of the friendliest guys on the site...
Bliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:00 AM   #5
MountainBreeze

MountainBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:13 AM   #6
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

Last edited by capesams; 05-11-2004 at 06:50 AM..

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 12:14 PM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I know I didn't move this (GB - I sent you a pm - call me)...

I'm missing the instigation of this thread. I know Bloo didn't move it, I think he's just playing with GB, who is, yes, one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet... When I first saw this thread, I thought (and til I hear otherwise) that he's needeling me

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 12:33 PM   #8
Bliz

Naw... I just think that he likes to ruffle feathers now and then for the sheer entertainment value!

I was pretty shocked to see Bloo post what he did since he is another one of those whom I really think of as a great character on this site...

I hope the winter thaw warms everyone up, because things have seemed a little tense out there lately...

This should all begin to fade over the next week or two as more reports of bass hit the boards...

How's the new job going for you?

I imagine I'll be seeing you down near Newport this year?...

Sooner than that, I would imagine, if we go after the earlybird bass like we did last year...

I think that it will be very SOON!

I'm looking forward to it John!
Old 05-05-2004, 02:52 PM   #9
PNG

John the answer to the question you asked me lies in the answer to GB, and yes he is one of the friendliest guys around.

Whats going on?
PNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:09 AM   #10
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Yeah, Greg, I also noticed some posts had been deleted - no idea.

Hmmm....

Beats me.

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:08 AM   #11
Bliz

I was removed too!
Old 05-06-2004, 06:32 AM   #12
mrmacey
Fishing Chauffeur

Send a message via AIM to mrmacey
Talking

mrmacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:32 AM   #13
jugstah

Send a message via AIM to jugstah Send a message via Yahoo to jugstah
Sounds like the beginning of communism....

"Remember Amateurs built the Ark -- Professionals built the Titanic."
jugstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:40 AM   #14
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

When certain people don't get the hint when you try to nudge them in the right direction, it's time they get a swift KICK to quickly get them there.

Bottom line is; - It's been a long fishless winter. Things have NOT gotten any better with the appearance of the Striped ones. This site continues to get polluted with idiots, YES...if for one second you thought I was talking about you, YOU WERE RIGHT! This WILL stop. I have been given FULL authority to do what needs to be done to rectify the situation. JohnR has been temporarily relieved of his position and the "true" creator of this site has given me the IRON fist...and I will act swiftly when needed. Although he still prefers to be anonymous, he is omni-present and is looking for results. If the turn-around in not immediate, diciplinary actions will be. I realize I've been known to "goof" around, but this is NO joke.

To show that there are NO hard feelings, I have done some home-work for you so-called fisherman. I have found a couple of sites that may well be, ...your new home. This first site is for those of you who are always asking questions, but never listen or read the replys...you're already thinking of your next question. If you don't want to do a little leg-work...then get on this boat, and ship off.

New Website #1

This 2nd site was created for the lonely web-surfster. You know who you are. You don't have any friends, no one wants to fish with you, no one likes you, when you approach a group of fishermen and say .."Hey fellas!"...they all turn and ...when you bridge fish, your constantly thinking of committing suicide from that 20' drop...hoping that someone's watching so they can jump in and listen to your sob story. Your always full of stories but never full of scales ...Don't worry, your not alone, there are many like you. It's not a dicease, it's a curable sickness. Maybe if you agree to spend a few months on site #2, and you find yourself getting better...you may be allowed to post once per day. Please, take the time to correct the problem...and pay no mind to the bold print on the main page. Just be sure and join under the name Daisy. ...and wear your dukes.

#2~The Cure

...and last but not least,...site #3. This site needs no explanation. This site was created for - *******, *****, **********, *******, *** , AND ***********!!! (The Site-Creator has asked me to edit the names that I had originally typed in for this category ) I'm still unclear as to why he won't allow me to expose these few, but I'm working on other ways to eliminate them. This site was created specifically for them.

Pay close attention to the 9th *parable on the main page.

#1 Recommended Site

{P.S.} - If you counted the (*)'s- Your a bigger idiot than I thought.

Last edited by bloocrab; 05-06-2004 at 08:45 AM..

Old 05-06-2004, 09:19 AM   #15
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Bloo, i think we need a spelling moderator for you ......
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:21 AM   #16
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Last edited by Crafty Angler; 05-06-2004 at 09:57 AM..

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:25 AM   #17
JohnR

Bliz - Uncle Joe has only slightly less admin powers here than Bloocrab....

You all been TROLLED by the Clawed One. I've actually made up my mind and I'm giving the site to Patrick as soon as he's out of the Navy (that, like the post above, is junk)

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-06-2004, 09:33 AM   #18
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

...so the questions remain........

Where are:

GB
ChrisL
mikecc
Clammer

You are deeply missed.

John, don't push my buttons. I will delete your account just as fast. I've already hacked the system once, I'll do it again....JUNK...I'll give you junk.

Old 05-06-2004, 09:40 AM   #19
fishaholic18
Finally

I like it! Go get 'em Bloo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.gif
Views:	182
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	7883  

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:05 AM   #20
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Sorry there, Cap - I deleted the body of the post if anyone found it offensive.

I don't think Bloocrab would, inasmuch as we consider ourselves friends with a great deal in common, up to and including our Portuguese heritage.

I think somehow I'm missing the point. Not that it matters - like someone once said, it's just the internet for chrissakes. Anyway it was an attempt at humor - sorry if anyone misinterpreted it.

I'll try to be more circumspect in any future posts. But I think my time spent perusing websites is gonna come to a screeching halt here pretty soon.

The summer season has already started for me and with 3 businesses to attend to, I'm gonna have precious little time for the internet. And when I'm not working, I'm gonna be fishing.

Here's to a good season for all of us.

Old 05-06-2004, 10:18 AM   #21
JohnR

Chuck - what was wrong with your post? Uncle Joe?

(not my buddy by any stretch but it's not like you were worshipping him,, right?)

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-06-2004, 10:19 AM   #22
mrmacey
Fishing Chauffeur

Send a message via AIM to mrmacey
I got to much time now Bud wheres my rod!!

The BlooCrab stood before the men and said "Chinese school has just begun. No more laughing, no more fun. If you show your teeth or tongue, you will have a penalty done." The Crab then proceeded to do silly things to make the Men laugh. The Guys that laughed hard enough that their mouths opened, exposing teeth and/or tongues, had to do whatever the MRCrab told them to do. For instance, we would run around the Beach however many times we were told, or hop on one leg maybe around the car, or do so many jumping jacks, etc. It was whatever silly thing the BlooCrab made us do till everybody got tired of the Bloocrabs antics and went to another beach to play. And yes I read the (*******) and Yea!!! I am an Idiot for doing it.
Now What!!!
mrmacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:33 AM   #23
JohnR

Quote:
Originally posted by bloocrab
John, don't push my buttons. I will delete your account just as fast. I've already hacked the system once, I'll do it again....JUNK...I'll give you junk.
I will send you forthwith to the SNS - SSX "chat" forum

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-06-2004, 12:18 PM   #24
PNG

The question's still in the air - Why did GB, Bliz and myself get "moderated" Did someone post something offensive after us and the whole thread got yanked? We didnt say anything "out of line"
Old 05-06-2004, 12:40 PM   #25
JohnR

Quote:
Originally posted by PNG
The question's still in the air - Why did GB, Bliz and myself get "moderated" Did someone post something offensive after us and the whole thread got yanked? We didnt say anything "out of line"
I know of no time that you, GB or Bliz got "moderated". I don't know who or why.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-06-2004, 01:15 PM   #26
Saltheart

PNG , thank you for posing the question in a fashion that did not say I must amswere in order to justify my manhood. There is a good legitimate question posed that i want to give my opinion on. . But first , I'll adress one time , why particular posts were deleted.

Its simple , I started a thread about behavior on the main board. I felt it needed to be discussed. There were almost 60 replies. I went through and edited about 18 replies that in no way even mentioned the topic . If a reply had even one word that actually referenced the topic , I left the post up. I left up some that outright criticised what I was doing. However , If it totally did not address the serious topic thus hijacking the thread, I deleted it .

I have no problem with GB or Bliz or Crafty or anyone else. In fact both Bliz and GB have always been particularly nice with me. They are friends. I did not even look at who posted the threads. I simply evaluated whether in any remote fashion (even just one word in several paragraphs) , the posts addressed the topic. If they did not , I deleted them. The decision to use the moderator functions is not based on personalities , it is based on what I think is best for the site.

In answere to what I think is the legitimate question ......as to whether moderators should have to send an email evey time they edit or delete a post , my answere is no. Its so time consuming to even read everything and decide what to do. To have to follow up on every little deletion or editing act would be impossible. There's a lot of it that goes on behind the scenes without everyone knowing or making a big deal about it. That's how it should be. Even my best friend and fishing buddy Smokey has had some posts edited because he was a little too blunt with an answere (something about left eyed and right eyed and brown eyed bass ) If someone posts a personal threat , or some very bad pictures or profanity , or something way personal and hurtfull , a follow up email is sent. John is then copied. It seldom happens . Since none in question here has ever done anything like that , they wouldn't know that sometimes follow up emails are sent.

Lastly , I can count on one hand the number of times over the last five years I've explained the why of how I have moderate here. John never questions my decisions , I'm not making it a habit of letting other do so. Don't be surprised if questions like this get ignored in the future. I just don't have the time or desire to explain myslef every time I do something here. Its not part of the job description.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:23 PM   #27
jugstah

Send a message via AIM to jugstah Send a message via Yahoo to jugstah
Thumbs down

Can we all safely assume that the violating poster was infomed that his post was nuked? If so, good, if not, why not? IF not, then the poster in question would never learn from the errors of his ways.

"Remember Amateurs built the Ark -- Professionals built the Titanic."
jugstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:52 PM   #28
JohnR

Jugstah (and everyone else), right now there is a few issues. Bear with my rambling here but this stuff is just pouring out. This site is not a huge money making adventure. I'm afraid to add it up but I probably make somewhere around 25 cents an hour for what I do and Saltheart makes a big fat goosegg. I started this site because I wanted an open and friendly, unpretentious site for people to talk fishing, not to become a millionaire. Sure, I could sign up every single person that wants to be an advertiser here (I get several requests per month), I could load the board with add links, click ads, redirecting content, selling personal information for marketing lists, or wow - a Tackle Shop. I could probably do a lot of things to throw coin in my pocket but believe me, the popups and ads would suck and those kind of methods to make $$ would detract from what this site it supposed to be. Saltheart has been helping out as a moderator, in his spare time, for the past 4 years or so. It's an awful lot of work for no financial reward (to think I can improve my "2nd job" income by 200% by just asking "Bubba, you want fries with that?"), the reward was we always thought we were doing something good and fun. These days it isn't as good as it used to be and it's not as much fun. Other guys have come aboard and act in moderating roles and a few others have offered help too.

This kind of community is always a work in progress. It changes in the ebb in flow of members, the nature of the site, how freindly, how knowledgable, how rediculous, how funny, this nature is always in flux. But as of late it's been a lot less fun and a lot more like Romper Room. We're going to try to change that, not by being board nazis (reference to the "Soup Nazis before anyone gets offended), but by trying to make this site more fun and a little more responsible at the same time. We're gonna tweak the how and why we do things around here to try to make this a better place again. What many people at one time considered the best bassin site around.

Believe me, there is no reason why I would want to be miserable doing this because people are fighting or strutting around a lot of attitude, have no patience for some people. My wife, who puts up with an AWFUL lot because of this site, sees me getting more stressed doing this. Believe me when I say she wouldn't mind me selling this site. So we are going to be bringing a few changes on board here, including a few new people to help out and moderate on these boards, and probably also some board ettiquette. So there will be changes and we will try to steer this site back to being what it once was, a REALLY fun site. Some of you say you couldn't live without it and you check it several times a day, well, you should have seen it at its prime, we really had a lot of fun. We're going to try to get back there, and if you all help out a little and have some more fun here (not really at other's expense), we'll again be what we once were, the best friendly and knowledgeable site in the northeast....

Thanks !

John

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-06-2004, 04:36 PM   #29
PNG

I understand, concur and expect civility but why did GB's post get pulled?.