Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-31-2015, 09:33 AM   #1
Nebe

Why is that a bad thing?

If a judge decides I am a risk for being violent with my guns, I would hope someone took them away from me.

I would really like to see less mass shootings...

The way I see this happening is a family member or friend might call the athoraties and inform them that this person is unstable and should not own guns.

Is it perfect ? Probably not.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

There is a process gun owners must follow in order to possess their guns, including a background check, and, at least in Massachusetts, authorization from local police chief, or local agency.
The back end of the license process, similar to drivers license, is not well defined. Slippery slope? Maybe. But has some merits.
If I am at a gun range, I am always super aware of who is around me and their actions. No way I want an unstable individual there, especially with a firearm in their possession. There have been some who would have been judged stable, but by their behavior and handling of a weapon have made me nervous. So while not having read this particular law in whole, it has some merits in protecting the public.
But..... It is not trying to override an amendment of the Constitution. It is not banning possession of certain weapons. It does include a rough draft of a due process that would need to be developed. (Not a lot of Mass. judges that I would want deciding my rights in this situation.) I don't care if it is a resident, a neighbor, family member, fellow military unit member, or just another guy at the range; if they are not mentally fit, they should not be in possession. As redlite once said on this board; owning and carrying a gun is likely the most awesome responsibility one can have.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #3
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Why is that a bad thing?

If a judge decides I am a risk for being violent with my guns, I would hope someone took them away from me.

I would really like to see less mass shootings...

The way I see this happening is a family member or friend might call the athoraties and inform them that this person is unstable and should not own guns.

Is it perfect ? Probably not.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
This is a case of guilty until proven innocent where the burden of proof falls upon the innocent who lost their rights as the result of an allegation...

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia