Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #91
DZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think as long as is practical. The baseline is that it's public info, where is goes from there is case by case.
Yep.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #92
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
At least as good as Trumps inlaws
were they here illegally?

so would you like this to apply to all members of the military?...if they sneak someone across the border and marry them or marry someone who is here illegally they are exempt from our immigration laws?

most of the military members that i know go out of their way to follow our laws
Old 08-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #93
scottw

Quote:
I think as long as is practical. The baseline is that it's public info, where is goes from there is case by case.
Captain Obvious again........the names and addresses and other info was requested by the far left media during jury deliberation, a jury that was feeling threatened already....that was the rub...not whether or not that info should ever be released
Old 08-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #94
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
more stupid...nobody cares about Manafort beyond those that hope he somehow brings Trump down

Whats really funny is you believe what you wrote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #95
Jim in CT

Quote:
I think she was drawing on Trump's wannabe tyrant-ism and the abhorrent treatment refugees and migrants have suffered as Trump is rounded them up en mass and broken families with little concern that they are human beings. Clumsy and full of hyperbole but as evidence the press is the enemy doesn't really hold up...
didn’t obama also break up families and put kids in cages?

what you think, is becoming less and less connected with reality.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #96
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

what you think, is becoming less and less connected with reality.
Jim, we've covered this about 5 times now...
Old 08-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #97
scottw

Quote:

yeah but Trump eats them for breakfast
Old 08-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #98
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Whats really funny is you believe what you wrote
I love that you were amused
Old 08-20-2018, 05:31 PM   #99
detbuch

[QUOTE=wdmso;1149180]
Quote:

when they ask means nothing ... unless you wear a tin foil hat
In the memorandum that the media who petitioned for names and addresses of jurors, requesting when the information should be released, they wrote:

"Therefore, the Media Coalition respectfully requests that the Court issue an order directing the clerk to make publicly available the names and addresses of the jurors and alternates who heard this case, at the latest immediately upon return of the jury of its verdict.

So, the media would have liked to get the info before the verdict, but no later than immediately after the verdict.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #100
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
So, the media would have liked to get the info before the verdict, but no later than immediately after the verdict.
It doesn't say that, they're just planning ahead for when the trial is over.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:37 PM   #101
scottw

Quote:
sounds like far left media collusion to me...that's a VERY odd way of wording "just planning ahead"
"
Old 08-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #102
scottw

[QUOTE=detbuch;1149238]
Quote:

"Therefore, the Media Coalition respectfully requests that the Court issue an order directing the clerk to make publicly available the names and addresses of the jurors and alternates who heard this case, at the latest immediately upon return of the jury of its verdict.

immediately upon,,,,,,,like ....right away
Old 08-20-2018, 05:52 PM   #103
detbuch

Quote:
(Quote: Originally Posted by detbuch
The claim is that "what many see here" is that some of the media is trying to intimidate the jury. Is that a false claim? Can you support that it is a false claim?
)

Yes its called Normal! to request such information AKA precedent

You didn't answer my question. Breitbart did not directly say that the media request was intimidation. Breitbart claimed that "WHAT MANY SEE HERE" is an attempt at intimidation. Do you contend that many do not see that? That that is a false claim?

Can you support how this isn't a false claim or how the request is an attempt to intimidate the jury or how that would even happen
Apparently, many do see it as intimidation. I certainly can't disprove that. Can you? The Judge has gotten threats and has U.S. Marshal protection. The jury was scared. I don't think it is a stretch to say that many can see, and do, that revealing the juror's names and addresses would be intimidating in light of threats already being made.

And did you read the entire Breitbart article, including the blue links embedded in the article which added to the credence of the Breitbart article?

And the jury is not sequestered, so it could have heard about the request to post their names and addresses. And the media requested the info AT THE LATEST immediately after the verdict. So, possibly, before that.

Last edited by detbuch; 08-20-2018 at 06:01 PM..
Old 08-20-2018, 06:03 PM   #104
spence

Quote:
Apparently, many do see it as intimidation. I certainly can't disprove that. Can you? The Judge has gotten threats and has U.S. Marshal protection. The jury was scared. I don't think it is a stretch to say that many can see, and do, that revealing the juror's names and addresses would be intimidating in light of threats already being made.
Where is a first hand report of the jury being scared?

Quote:
And the jury is not sequestered, so it could have heard about the request to post their names and addresses. And the media requested the info AT THE LATEST immediately after the verdict. So, possibly, before that.
How is that in any way trying to influence the Jury?
Old 08-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #105
detbuch

Quote:
I don't know from where you get your "interpretation." I know you subscribe to judicial interpretation by whim or personal opinion. Or, perhaps, you're just resorting to some sort of mental channeling?
I go by the memorandum's actual words, a sort of textual originalism,-- the media coalition requested the names and addresses "at the latest immediately upon return of the jury of its verdict."

If it was requesting the info only after the verdict was rendered, it would not require, in a legal memorandum of request, to add the words "at the latest". That clearly is a request to get it before "the latest" if possible.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:25 PM   #106
scottw

Quote:

it's like the mafia letting them know they're being watched and they know where they live...typical leftist intimidation tactics lately...plenty of examples
Old 08-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #107
detbuch

Quote:

The judge said so. I don't know how many hands were involved. But he is pretty close to the jury's concerns.

The word being used was "intimidation." Not everyone is as self-assured, brave, with nerves of steel as you. My understanding is that the locality in which the trial is being held is anti-Trump. I can see how a juror wouldn't want some hot-head looney in that community to know his name and address if the verdict was not guilty. It might influence a juror to decide that discretion is the better part of valor, and discretely vote for conviction.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:47 PM   #108
spence

Quote:
The word being used was "intimidation." Not everyone is as self-assured, brave, with nerves of steel as you. My understanding is that the locality in which the trial is being held is anti-Trump. I can see how a juror wouldn't want some hot-head looney in that community to know his name and address if the verdict was not guilty. It might influence a juror to decide that discretion is the better part of valor, and discretely vote for conviction.
The judge didn't say anything about juror intimidation, he said he had personally received threats. I'm all for keeping them private for now but I would fear more from Trump supporters than I would from the media.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #109
Jim in CT

Quote:
I'm not sue how her tax return story was in any way misleading, yes it was over hyped but the returns did confirm some Trump hypocrisy. It wasn't a nothing story.

A lot of people thought Hillary was going to rout trump.
uh, she claimed she had a big scoop. i can only guess, that she didn’t even glance at the tax return until she revealed that he paid a boatload in taxes.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:02 PM   #110
scottw

Quote:
The judge didn't say anything about juror intimidation, .
from the POLITICO article....for the second time

" the judge overseeing the case alluded to "threats" the jury may be receiving.

“I had no idea this case would incite this emotion,” U.S. District Court Judge T.S. Ellis III said in an open court hearing, responding to a motion from seven news organizations, including POLITICO, seeking access to sealed materials related to the trial that would have publicly identified the jurors.

Ellis denied the motion, telling the courtroom that jurors were "scared” and “afraid.” As a result, Ellis said, he didn’t “feel right” releasing the names of the 12-person jury.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:18 PM   #111
spence

Quote:
from the POLITICO article....for the second time

" the judge overseeing the case alluded to "threats" the jury may be receiving.

“I had no idea this case would incite this emotion,” U.S. District Court Judge T.S. Ellis III said in an open court hearing, responding to a motion from seven news organizations, including POLITICO, seeking access to sealed materials related to the trial that would have publicly identified the jurors.

Ellis denied the motion, telling the courtroom that jurors were "scared” and “afraid.” As a result, Ellis said, he didn’t “feel right” releasing the names of the 12-person jury.
Name one specific juror threat.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #112
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim, we've covered this about 5 times now...
and what you said, is that obama did the same thing, but not quite as often. how big of a difference is that. the photo of kids in a cage that got everyone foaming at the mouth, was taken during the obama years. why let facts getnin the way if a good commie temper tantrum.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #113
scottw

Quote:
Name one specific juror threat.
ask the judge dummy
Old 08-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #114
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm all for keeping them private for now but I would fear more from Trump supporters than I would from the media.
Yes, the media is the problem...

You should repeat what you are about to post in front of the mirror and see if your own eyes roll before you submit reply

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #115
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
and what you said, is that obama did the same thing, but not quite as often. how big of a difference is that. the photo of kids in a cage that got everyone foaming at the mouth, was taken during the obama years. why let facts getnin the way if a good commie temper tantrum.
This administrations policy was to Separate as a deterrent and that is pretty abhorrent to most Americans
Sessions said, “If people don’t want to be separated from their children, they should not bring them with them. We’ve got to get this message out.”
Commie no longer works for Trumplicans unless you’re just self identifying

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-21-2018, 09:52 AM   #116
spence

Quote:
I never said Obama did the same thing, their policies are quite different. Do some homework Jim.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #117
Jim in CT

Quote:
I never said Obama did the same thing, their policies are quite different. Do some homework Jim.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...backfires.html
Old 08-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #118
spence

Quote:
Well aware of the Obama era photo, it does nothing to refute the reality that the policy and scope of the two administrations isn't vastly different on this issue.