Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Beer & Beverage

Beer & Beverage Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
MrHunters
What was that!?!

Whos brewing

Who's been successful and wants to share some tips on a tasty brew.
The accessibility to brewing material is very easy to find nowadays. Plus there are So many books/websites dedicated to the hobby.

Going to start this winter and I am fully expecting a few before getting it right.
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Saltheart

I have been brewing since 1983. I have entered and won many contests. In 1986 , I was torn between starting an engineering business or a microbrewery. I did the engineering business. No brag , just fact, I know or have forgotten almost everything there is to know about standard brewing. I do not know about Amazon tribe spit beer or japanese ginseng beer but for normal beers , fruit beers , spice beers , etc , I'm pretty on top of things.

Its virtually impossible for me to write all i know about brewing to help someone. Its far easier just to ask specific questions and I will answere them as best as I can at the level of expertise the questioner seems to be at.

Some basic stuff just to get you started. Do buy Papazian's Book (s).

Never follow the instructions on the malt can.

Start with brown ales , they are far easier to brew than the extremes on either end like light ales or pilsners or porters and stouts.

Until you really know what you are doing , use low alpha acid hops and use less instead of more. Too grainy you may like , too bitter do to using too much or too high and alpha acid hop you will not like.

Start by using malt extract. Don't try to mash your own malt. let the big companies get you started with good malt extract in a can. Don't use the prehopped cans of malt. Use unhopped malts and read what I said in the sentences above about hops.

Cleanliness is the single biggest factor in getting beer to taste the way you intend it to.

I like Danstar brand dry yeast. I especially like Nottingham but Windsor is good too if the store doesn't have Nottingham. Spend the extra buck and use 2 packs to get it going faster. The faster the yeast get cranking , the less chance something bad will happen.If the only yeast the supply store has is Edme, they are not serious brewers , go to a different store .

There is no reason why your first beer should not taste good. Don't think that way , don't use it as an excuse. Read the book , ask questions at the supply store, get everything clean , make a brown ale and be conservative with the hops. You WILL make a good beer the first time.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHunters View Post
Who's been successful and wants to share some tips on a tasty brew.
The accessibility to brewing material is very easy to find nowadays. Plus there are So many books/websites dedicated to the hobby.

Going to start this winter and I am fully expecting a few before getting it right.
I've brewed a single batch in my life, Whiskey Barrel Porter, and learned a lot. I might suggest before going whole hearted at setting up a brew pub in your home try one of the commercial places that provide everything for you (all ingredients, recipes, equipment, etc.) for the experience. I used incredibrew.com in NH.

BTW: I got 85 22oz bottles of the porter and drank it all, last 4 bottles skunked.

I have about 6-7 cases of 22oz brown (empty) bottles if anyone interested? Plug ho'ing again......

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

I got a mr.beer kit for xmas, I figure that it would be a good start, considering I have never brewed before. I can't wait to get this thing going.

60 % of the time, it works every time.
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
JohnnyD

I've brewed 3 or 4 batches total. Wanted to get back into it this year but was informed I'm not allowed any more hobbies until we get a bigger place.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Jenn

Just ordered a Gluten free ingredient kit. Wish me luck! I dont have high hopes....only that it will be "decent"

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I've brewed 3 or 4 batches total. Wanted to get back into it this year but was informed I'm not allowed any more hobbies until we get a bigger place.
Well it's starting. good luck.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
I have been brewing since 1983. I have entered and won many contests. In 1986 , I was torn between starting an engineering business or a microbrewery. I did the engineering business. No brag , just fact, I know or have forgotten almost everything there is to know about standard brewing. I do not know about Amazon tribe spit beer or japanese ginseng beer but for normal beers , fruit beers , spice beers , etc , I'm pretty on top of things.

Its virtually impossible for me to write all i know about brewing to help someone. Its far easier just to ask specific questions and I will answere them as best as I can at the level of expertise the questioner seems to be at.

Some basic stuff just to get you started. Do buy Papazian's Book (s).

Never follow the instructions on the malt can.

Start with brown ales , they are far easier to brew than the extremes on either end like light ales or pilsners or porters and stouts.

Until you really know what you are doing , use low alpha acid hops and use less instead of more. Too grainy you may like , too bitter do to using too much or too high and alpha acid hop you will not like.

Start by using malt extract. Don't try to mash your own malt. let the big companies get you started with good malt extract in a can. Don't use the prehopped cans of malt. Use unhopped malts and read what I said in the sentences above about hops.

Cleanliness is the single biggest factor in getting beer to taste the way you intend it to.

I like Danstar brand dry yeast. I especially like Nottingham but Windsor is good too if the store doesn't have Nottingham. Spend the extra buck and use 2 packs to get it going faster. The faster the yeast get cranking , the less chance something bad will happen.If the only yeast the supply store has is Edme, they are not serious brewers , go to a different store .

There is no reason why your first beer should not taste good. Don't think that way , don't use it as an excuse. Read the book , ask questions at the supply store, get everything clean , make a brown ale and be conservative with the hops. You WILL make a good beer the first time.
I brewer for years and this is excellent advice. Perhaps I should have followed it

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I brewer for years and this is excellent advice. Perhaps I should have followed it

-spence
I used to brew, couldn't keep up with demand.

I had a friend that was a bio-chemist that grew yeast as a hobby.

I love lagers, but 12-15 weeks is a long time.

Also get into c02 carbonation.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
I used to brew, couldn't keep up with demand.
Yep, realized I liked drinking it more than making it. Wasn't ever really happy with my results though. Certainly made some good stuff at times, porter, a fruit stout and a lager that I laid down in the 30's for a month that was quite excellent. Back in Iowa the temps in the winter were much more stable so I could submerse the carboys in a tub on the porch with some aquarium heaters to keep them just above freezing...worked really well.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
Saltheart

I used to brew a 5 gallon batch almost every week. I didn't drink it all (obviously) but was trying to build up a beer cellar. When I graduated to all grain brewing , I started making either a single 10 gallon batch or mashing enough for 10 gallons but split the batch into 2 5 gallon batches with different flavors. Many weekends in the winter were spent standing on snowy ground brewing beer. Now I just make a special batch now and then. I got tired of the contest scene and after the heart attack my alc consumption went way down so there was no need for a lot of beer.

Its a great hobby though and once mastered to the poiint where you can make your own styles by "BUILDING THE BEER" , you can make some really special stuff.

Since I drink less and thee batches must keep in the cellar longer , I tend to make stronger stuff now that benefits from aging, Most normal alc beers should be consumed fresh but high alc beers do benefit from aging time.

I once made a very strong beer and aged a couple of bottles in the fridge for 16 years! I opened them at a beer club meeting and shared it around. It was still very clean tasting. It had super fine champagne type bubbles and tasted just like Chimay. 16 years in the fridge is over the top lagering!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote