Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Popcorn.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_169933.html

The mayor of Los Alamitos is coming under fire for an e-mail he sent out that depicts the White House lawn planted with watermelons, under the title "No Easter egg hunt this year."

(He then plays the "i didn't know" card. Uh huh...)

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 02-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
buckman

Old 02-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
spence

What an idiot. That's nearly resignation material, and I don't buy the "I didn't know it was a stereotype" bit for a moment.

-spence
Old 02-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Mayor: "Hello? ACLU? This is the mayor of Los Alamitos."
ACLU: *click*
Mayor: "Hello? HELLO?"

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 02-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
striperman36
Old Guy

How about a nice cotton field
Old 02-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
Nebe

NO STIMULUS FOR YOU!!
Old 02-27-2009, 05:41 AM   #7
Raven

Cool He Resigned

what happened to the fried chicken......?

too bad he picked wot e melons instead

of pumpkins,,, he'd still be MAYOR
Old 02-27-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
sean curry

I am ashamed of anyone who finds that funny. By 2040 white europeans will not be the majority in the USA. I hope I am alive to see it.

sean
Old 02-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #9
spence

Looks like the Mayor just resigned.

-spence
Old 02-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I dont this country will ever be free of racism until we can laugh at ourselves. I am a 1/4 polish and as a kid, I had a collection of polish joke books, my Dad loved the jokes and he was 1/2 polish. We need to get over things.

Last edited by RIJIMMY; 02-27-2009 at 09:10 AM..

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean curry View Post
I am ashamed of anyone who finds that funny. By 2040 white europeans will not be the majority in the USA. I hope I am alive to see it.

sean
What? that's racist
Old 02-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:

sean
I took a class in college whose professor said that by 2050 the U.S.A. would be a brown/mocha society. This might be true, but everyone looked at this lady funny because she also said that she was in a bi-racial marrige. She would then explain that her husband was Italian and she was Irish, and she considered that bi-racial. And I don't mean to offend any of my italians brothers here, but she considered that brown/mocha half of her relationship to be her italian husband.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 02-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #13
JohnnyD

Quote:

sean
That statement is a bit misleading. Whitey will still be the majority, in terms of single race.

When people make that statement, they're grouping all non-white people together. Who's the racist now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
And I don't mean to offend any of my italians brothers here, but she considered that brown/mocha half of her relationship to be her italian husband.
So what you're trying to say is that she was an idiot? I'd have to agree.

By that logic, I'm brown/mocha too - 50/50 Irish/Spanish. Irish paired with just about anything else makes it look mocha.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #14
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I dont this country will ever be free of racism until we can laugh at ourselves. I am a 1/4 polish and as a kid, I had a collection of polish joke books, my Dad loved the jokes and he was 1/2 polish. We need to get over things.
So you're saying you think they should have just had a good laugh at the joke?

-spence
Old 02-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #15
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

only if they thought it was funny.
of course, it would only be funny if it came from a black comedian.

There is this little thing I remember as a kid "Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me"

Old 02-27-2009, 01:02 PM   #16
Travis

So can someone explain why this is racism? People today are overly sensitive to things like this, it is ridiculous! It may be a stereotype, but stereotypes aren't necessarily racism...How has the watermelon developed into something derrogatory? The Irish love their boiled dinner, is that considered racism?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #17
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

exactly, how many irish drunk jokes are there? Im in a true inter-racial marriage and we laugh at asian jokes all the time. Many are stereotype jokes.
Was it tasteless, thats for each to decide.
should this come from a mayor to a colleauge - no, its unprofessional in my book.
we truly need to get over this stuff and I always found humor to be a good way to recognize difference in its place.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #18
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
The Irish love their boiled dinner, is that considered racism?
Yes. So is stating the fact that a Polish submarine would immediately sink - due to the screen door they'd put on the entrance.

For reasons unbeknown to mean, society has decided there is a difference between "Race" and "National Origin." When there is conflict, Race applies to whites doing something negative to *insert current politically correct term for someone with skin darker than mine.*

It is the same with Sexism. If two people are equally qualified for a job - a man and a woman, and the man gets the job, sexism must've played a role. Now, that man is more qualified for the job but the woman gets it, it's empowering to woman.

Quite frankly, I think it's all a bunch of hogwash.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #19
Travis

Quote:
exactly, how many irish drunk jokes are there? Im in a true inter-racial marriage and we laugh at asian jokes all the time. Many are stereotype jokes.
should this come from a mayor to a colleauge - no, its unprofessional in my book.
we truly need to get over this stuff and I always found humor to be a good way to recognize difference in its place.

Right, it might be considered unprofessional, or improper, but not racist...My father's side of the family is Lebanese and Arabic, I was at a bar with my cousin (who looks like he is straight off the boat, you know, bald shiny head, dark skin, big nose...) and a few others. There was a little disruption at which point in time an antagonizer called my cousin a "Sand-Monkey," we all started laughing as we hadn't heard that one before...do you consider us racists? We found humor in it, people should give two %$%$%$%$s about crap like that, in the end, it doesn't mean anything, just words...
Old 02-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #20
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Im part sand monkey too

Old 02-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #21
Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Yes. So is stating the fact that a Polish submarine would immediately sink - due to the screen door they'd put on the entrance.
Big difference between your example and mine though... am stating that a particulare ethnic group enjoys a specific food (not racist), your example dwells upon a negative sterotype of a particular ethnic group...I love food, what's so bad about saying someone like some specific food?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #22
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

we should stop this thread anyway. Havent you heard? We're all cowards when it comes to race dialogue.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #23
JohnnyD

Quote:
RIJIMMY, it's difficult for me to say this but....

I could not agree more with everything you just said.

My mother is dating a 6'1" chinese man - has been for 6 years, he's a great guy and we get along really well. He and I go back and forth all the time. He makes fun of me for being a short Irish drunk (my mother is 100% Spanish) and I make fun of him for being worse endowed than their new puppy. We both laugh knowing it's all in good fun and we go back to our beers.

In general society though, the hyper-sensitive people have decided people of European decent are all in the same category and cannot make jokes about people from any other region.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #24
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Big difference between your example and mine though... am stating that a particulare ethnic group enjoys a specific food (not racist), your example dwells upon a negative sterotype of a particular ethnic group...I love food, what's so bad about saying someone like some specific food?
Actually, there is no difference at all. Any assumption made on the basis of a person's race is technically racist. So where is the line to be drawn? And who's allowed to draw that line?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #25
Travis

Quote:
Actually, there is no difference at all. Any assumption made on the basis of a person's race is technically racist. So where is the line to be drawn?
OK....well I am quite perplexed by the whole thing, the line is drawn wherever the people with darker skin than myself say it is to be drawn...
Old 02-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #26
Joe

That's him in the middle - looks like he just came in from a pub crawl.
My bloated-booze-bag dead Irish uncle looked just like him the last time we saw him, except his eyes were closed because he was off to the be with the dearly departed. We laughed it up good that day and had quite a time.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #27
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
That very well may be the ugliest collection of public officials I have ever seen.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #28
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

looks like they need some diversity on that team!

Talk about embarassing being white!

Old 02-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #29
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
That very well may be the ugliest collection of public officials I have ever seen.
we agree again!