Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 04-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
FishFuker

Send a message via AIM to FishFuker
KWAG GUIDES VS BLCAG GUIDES

Hey guys I am trying to figure out what each Guide does and why they are different. If anyone has any info on these guides and why they chose them for there build. It would be greatly appreciated if you could post some info.

I am about to build or in the process of a SSU 108 1M. Already have seat and But and grip done. Just dont know where to go with Guides.

Reel will be a VS200 but I wish it was a 150. but some say stay with 200.

Let me know your guys take and info. Like I said it will be greatly appreciated. I am a fast learner and love to learn!!

Report Chasing Is A Crime!
FishFuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

LC guides will be difficult to use on a 9 foot rod and heavier and stiffer than the alternatives. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I suspect it can't and even if it can it will be VERY difficult to get good casting performance from an LC set up using a big spooled reel on a short rod.

Go with the KW guides.

Try 30-20-12-8888, or 25-16-10-8888. You could also switch over to the single foot KT for runners. Use a tip one size up.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
FishFuker

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
LC guides will be difficult to use on a 9 foot rod and heavier and stiffer than the alternatives. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I suspect it can't and even if it can it will be VERY difficult to get good casting performance from an LC set up using a big spooled reel on a short rod.

Go with the KW guides.

Try 30-20-12-8888, or 25-16-10-8888. You could also switch over to the single foot KT for runners. Use a tip one size up.
thank you for the response. Now as far as DOUBLE VS SINGLE Foot Guides. Is there really a positive or negative with either?

Will Single foot Guides as my runners give the rod better action than the Double foots??

Just trying to figure out why double and why single before choosing. I have done my research and read about the NGC and COF but like I said I like small guides.. hehe

Old 04-24-2011, 06:34 AM   #4
numbskull

There is no impelling reason to use singles on a M blank (on a L they'd be 1st choice, however). That said, singles are a little lighter and inhibit flex less. They are also quicker to wrap/epoxy which is important for us lazy guys. They are more likely to bend or pull out if whacked, but I'm not very careful with my rods and have not had a problem (yet). I like them, but a lot of that is just visual rather than functional.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
FishFuker

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
There is no impelling reason to use singles on a M blank (on a L they'd be 1st choice, however). That said, singles are a little lighter and inhibit flex less. They are also quicker to wrap/epoxy which is important for us lazy guys. They are more likely to bend or pull out if whacked, but I'm not very careful with my rods and have not had a problem (yet). I like them, but a lot of that is just visual rather than functional.
Thank you very much, so what do you think I should go for?

30-20-12-10-8-8-8-8-8-top and the runners are single foots? as the other 3 doubles??

Old 04-25-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
numbskull

I doubt you need the 10 in there, and probably 4 runners on a 9 ft rod.
Go read about the NGC system.
Rodbuilding.org has a pdf.
Fuji has info (you will need to google translate) http://www.fujitackle.com/ngc/ngc3.html
There is an old thread on SOL that will help NGC on 10ft spinning rod??? - SurfTalk

The guides will place themselves once you do the math.