Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
srt44116

Restoring old plugs

So i have a bunch of older, dirty, rusty, missing eyes, Plugs that i want to restore. Whats the best way about this. Sanding down to wood and re-painting? Whats paint should i use, regular spray paint? Also i dont like using split rings and would rather crimp hooks on, is this stronger?
Thanks guys all input needed
srt44116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Before I sanded anything I would try a heat gun. Heat the paint up and scrape it off while it is gummy,,, then when your done reseal the plug, prime, paint epoxy in the normal steps,,,, You can find the paints in a search,,,, There is tons of information,,,
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

i agree, if the plug is too old, you may be dealing with lead paint, and you definitely don't want to sand that.

some guys only use cut hooks and no split rings, it's all about preference.
show some pics when your done.

60 % of the time, it works every time.
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
srt44116

Whats the best rout to seal a wooden plug? I would thing by soaking it in linsead oil the aint would not stick to it after woods
srt44116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
stripermaineiac

If your sanding just a few plugs don't worry about the lead . You get way more of it on your fingers everytime you dig through the sinkers to find the one you need to use than you'll ever get sanding a few plugs.Leads not a problem for adults unless you spend hrs breathing in the fumes while pouring it or sanding without a mask for quite a lot of time.If you worry about the dust just wear a mask that most hardware stores carry.Just try not to sand too much wood off as it will change the balance of some older plugs due to the type of wood and how dry they are.You may also find the plugs your redoing haven;t been sealed properly.I've been redoing plugs for yrs. Amazing how much better they work with a new color added. Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote