Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 03-12-2020, 06:50 PM   #31
ivanputski
Pete K.

I saw this coming and started Food shopping , little by little each day over the last 5 days, including medications for my family. We may get to a point like Italy, where stores are closed and we are told to remain in our homes with nothing to buy... I think I have a good 3-4 weeks of food stocked, all stuff that we normally eat anyway. the worst part is not knowing if this will blow over in 2-3 weeks, or just ramp up in that time. We'll see......
The school I teach at just closed for 11 days, and we will be switching to distance learning online.
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #32
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Pretty good look into Coronavirus / Infectious Viruses (including Lyme)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Stop snorting bunker oil it’s fu*ked you up, John requested a rational discussion and you bring your political forum antics over, don’t you have gear to clean and get ready?

This one wasn't too bad.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:29 PM   #33
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanputski View Post
I saw this coming and started Food shopping , little by little each day over the last 5 days, including medications for my family. We may get to a point like Italy, where stores are closed and we are told to remain in our homes with nothing to buy... I think I have a good 3-4 weeks of food stocked, all stuff that we normally eat anyway. the worst part is not knowing if this will blow over in 2-3 weeks, or just ramp up in that time. We'll see......
The school I teach at just closed for 11 days, and we will be switching to distance learning online.
I don’t think we’d get to a point where you can’t buy food. The problem could be things get thin like they are for some items now and you have no toilet paper for three weeks.

I think it is worth stocking up on some items assuming you will get sick. Gatorade for the electrolytes or something similar, basic flu meds etc...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:29 PM   #34
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Much better 👍
On the upside there are some deals to be had because of this hoax
Did PaulS give you permission to use this photo?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #35
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Does anyone question why I think you're a scumbag?
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:15 PM   #36
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post

Wow
I never seen the before but looks like the surgeon did a decent job.
Is it Paula now ?
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:17 PM   #37
JohnR

Quote:
Wow
I never seen the before but looks like the surgeon did a decent job.
Is it Paula now ?

Don't be an ass, Ron

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-12-2020, 08:25 PM   #38
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Don't be an ass, Ron

You’ve allowed this FISHING site to become what it is John with that #^&#^&#^&#^&ing political forum, deal with it
Old 03-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #39
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

John are you serious, those two don’t know how to not be one, with shelves emptying, complete sport seasons and our usual fishing shows cancelled, businesses and the economy taking a huge hit, let’s have some inappropriate fun. Two fu*cked up peas in a pod.
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:37 PM   #40
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
John are you serious, those two don’t know how to not be one, with shelves emptying, complete sport seasons and our usual fishing shows cancelled, businesses and the economy taking a huge hit, let’s have some inappropriate fun. Two fu*cked up peas in a pod.

Someone needs some time in their Safe Place 😩
Old 03-12-2020, 08:39 PM   #41
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
You’ve allowed this FISHING site to become what it is John with that #^&#^&#^&#^&ing political forum, deal with it
Hey here is a suggestion, grow a pair, show some restraint and if you don’t like the political forum don’t click on it; seems pretty simple or do you prefer to just angrily rant.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:10 PM   #42
JohnR

Quote:

1 month, or whatever. You want to destabilize and be an ass. Dealing with it ; )

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-13-2020, 05:03 AM   #43
wdmso

Daughters closing her 1st house in April. Only for her and her fiancee to both more than likely to get laid off , with these shut downs
She's dental hygienist and the cancellations have all ready started and he works at EB

Yet the wife works in a nursing home which has stopped all family members for visiting (some are threatening to sue . ) screening all staff

But have provided zero information on the plan if the virus shows or if they send an employee home who they suspect maybe sick , are they getting paid they cant get a test to show it's not C19,
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:40 AM   #44
Rmarsh

The 24/7.... non stop media coverage and internet are making this situation much worse, as far as the panic and overreacting we are seeing.
There have always been deadly viruses....and people getting sick, and people die....never seen this kind of press coverage before...
This time is different...a real health concern but blown way out of proportion for tv ratings.......filling the void left by other news stories that withered away.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:58 AM   #45
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
The 24/7.... non stop media coverage and internet are making this situation much worse, as far as the panic and overreacting we are seeing.
There have always been deadly viruses....and people getting sick, and people die....never seen this kind of press coverage before...
This time is different...a real health concern but blown way out of proportion for tv ratings.......filling the void left by other news stories that withered away.
yup....nobody making fun of the "preppers" who stockpile food, tp and guns/ammo, right now
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:36 AM   #46
JohnR

Media, large swath of public, and Politicians:

Why hasn't the Gubmint stockpiled masks, PPE, and TP?

The Prepared:

Always have a few months worth of essentials you can stretch to 2-3x this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
yup....nobody making fun of the "preppers" who stockpile food, tp and guns/ammo, right now
Well, they are still making fun of ammo ; )

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-13-2020, 09:13 AM   #47
Higgie

Went to purchase some ammo yesterday and first store was out of what I needed. The owner said it’s been a busy week people buying by the case. Went to the big box store and had to be 12-15 people looking to purchase firearms at 3 pm on a Thursday. I’m under the believe I’d rather be over prepared rather then under. But growing up how I did we always had an extra freezer stocked with food and a surplus of cleaning supplies and paper goods. I don’t get the soap and tp flying off the shelves did people just not wash there hands before
Higgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:37 AM   #48
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Thought I could go into BJ's for just one case of water some blueberries and some batteries and hit the 5 items or less registers, even people with just the same few items were 50 deep in line. Went to my liquor store, picked up a case of beer, case of water, hit the local market paid a bit more for blueberries and some bananas and was home before half those idiots checked out at BJ's.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #49
JohnR

Another very good article on why social distancing and hunkering down is the way to fight this:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgie View Post
Went to purchase some ammo yesterday and first store was out of what I needed. The owner said it’s been a busy week people buying by the case. Went to the big box store and had to be 12-15 people looking to purchase firearms at 3 pm on a Thursday. I’m under the believe I’d rather be over prepared rather then under. But growing up how I did we always had an extra freezer stocked with food and a surplus of cleaning supplies and paper goods. I don’t get the soap and tp flying off the shelves did people just not wash there hands before

Simple minimum stocks guideline: When ammo falls below 3k rounds, buy a few thousand more ; )

(it is easy to go through several hundred rounds in a few hours of Range Fun Time)

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-13-2020, 11:19 AM   #50
basswipe

A lot of the naysayers seem to be forgetting about the 1919 influenza outbreak...600,000 Americans were dead by 1920 before a vaccine was developed.

The country was MUCH less populated back then,compared to then we are packed in like sardines today.The good news is we are much more medically advanced and more aware of what's going on a daily basis and can adapt to changing conditions much more easily.I do believe people are over panicking but that's the nature of the beast.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:22 AM   #51
basswipe

Quote:
(it is easy to go through several hundred rounds in a few hours of Range Fun Time)
That's why the vast majority of my range time is spent shooting .22LR!
Old 03-13-2020, 11:28 AM   #52
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Another very good article on why social distancing and hunkering down is the way to fight this:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

good article

the parts about Containment and Mitigation are eye opening and really need to be taken seriously.

The wife took the day off today and yesterday was given a laptop to bring home to do a trial work at home for Monday

Everyone should have 2 weeks worth of essentials at home anyway, and if you don't you adapt or improvise to overcome.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #53
basswipe

If you're looking for TP I would suggest staying away from the bigbox stores and grocery chains as you'll find none unless you follow the delivery trucks and even then that's no guarantee.Your local "dollar" type store is a much better (and safer!) bet.

If you're a handsanitizer nut and can't find any or can't make any with isopropyl alcohol,good 'ol Everclear grain alcohol is an excellent alternative and if your stupid you can drink it minus the aloe gel.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:35 AM   #54
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
good 'ol Everclear grain alcohol is an excellent alternative and if your stupid you can drink it minus the aloe gel.
Get a trash can, contractor bag and a lot of powdered Gatorade for the mix, you'll need the electrolytes when you're sick.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:35 AM   #55
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
The wife took the day off today and yesterday was given a laptop to bring home to do a trial work at home for Monday
That's a good thing for sure.I'm lucky mine's been working out of the house for quite a few years now.With me being laid up after my fall I don't really have to worry about work for a couple of weeks.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #56
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I hope you heal ok basswipe

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #57
l.i.fish.in.vt

maybe this is natures way of thinning out the herd,way too many people on this earth.
l.i.fish.in.vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:49 AM   #58
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
I hope you heal ok basswipe
Thanks.

Nothing to major...a lot of bruises,a concussion and few staples in the back of my head.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:00 PM   #59
JohnR

Quote:
A lot of the naysayers seem to be forgetting about the 1919 influenza outbreak...600,000 Americans were dead by 1920 before a vaccine was developed.

The country was MUCH less populated back then,compared to then we are packed in like sardines today.The good news is we are much more medically advanced and more aware of what's going on a daily basis and can adapt to changing conditions much more easily.I do believe people are over panicking but that's the nature of the beast.
We've been getting vaccinated for similar types for generations.

Quote:
That's why the vast majority of my range time is spent shooting .22LR!
.22 Should be stocked in the high thousands for Post Apocalypse Currency

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #60
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEETLE View Post
I just returned from the local BJs store, parking packed, no carts, got inside lines were insane at checkout, no water and if they had it only 2 per customer, no toilet paper, or other high profile items as sanitizer, other popular items as in frozen section items no or low stock. seeing panic in some faces. Walked out empty handed will go back tomorrow at opening bell.
I went to BJs in Franklin yesterday. Same, same. I was in at 9 AM and got the last package of paper towels. Crazy!! Saw a guy with 8 cases of water. Said he was stocking up. WTF!!!

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote