Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-06-2015, 07:56 AM   #31
Nebe

He also has zero political experience. Zero.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-06-2015, 08:00 AM   #32
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
so? seems like those with extensive political experience become the problem rather than the solution
Old 11-06-2015, 08:10 AM   #33
Nebe

I don't see Bernie Sander's time in office as leading to corruption or bad decision making. But you are right.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:20 AM   #34
scottw

Quote:
I don't see Bernie Sander's time in office as leading to corruption or bad decision making. But you are right.
I don't see it leading to much of anything, what is Sanders signature accomplishment(political career began in 1971) beyond complaining and getting elected?

I found this under accomplishments " Champion of the common American"
Old 11-06-2015, 08:25 AM   #35
Nebe

you will find out soon enough.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:37 AM   #36
PaulS

Didn't he say during the debate he had nothing to do with a company (diet company??) but that was rated something like a "fully not true". Didn't see the debate but thought I remember reading something about that.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:48 AM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Well isn't that what do do constantly? You find some liberal that did something you don't like and start a thread about the damn liberals.

Reagan would have problem these days. He incr. taxes. Nixon started the EPA. A hero like McCain gets made fun off and Trumps popularity goes up. Both sides have crazies but the Repubs. Have gotten way worse.
"You find some liberal that did something you don't like and start a thread about the damn liberals."

True, to an extent. But when I do that, I'm usually pointing out a policy platform that is embraced by liberals in general. There are certain generalizations you can make about each side (liberals are pro-union, conservatives don't like increased gun control,etc).

"A hero like McCain gets made fun off and Trumps popularity goes up"

That's a source of shame to me, you are 100% correct there. My best explanation is that people are so sick of hearing Obama say things lke "Republicans gotta stop just hating all the time". We don't want a McCain who will simply sit there and take that insult, we need someone who will fight back. In my opinion, we can do a lot better then Trump.

"Both sides have crazies but the Repubs. Have gotten way worse."

I really hope Trump is a temporary phase. Remember, 75% of Republicans are supporting someone else. When more of those "someone elses" drop out, the anti-Trump vote will consolidate around a Rubio or a Cruz or a Christie, and Trump will go away.

Is Trump more of a kook than Bernie Sanders? Trump is more of a jerk, he's more bombastic. But Trump's policies and ideas are far less crazy, in my opinion, than Bernie's.

I am embarassed that Trump is where he is. I cannot begin to argue with you there, you are absolutely correct.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 11-06-2015 at 09:00 AM..
Old 11-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
I would much rather have someone at the helm of this country who had both eyes on the road and not both in the clouds.

Said the guy who supports Bernie Sanders.

Hey everyone, free college! Free healthcare! Open the borders, we'll give freebies to everyone, what could go wrong with that?

You think you get to be a world-class pediatric neurosurgeon with both eyes constantly in the clouds?
Old 11-06-2015, 08:58 AM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
First, there is an upside to considering someone who spent hi slife actually doing things in the real world, as opposed to choosing from people who spent their whole life in Washington, doing nothing except attending cocktail parties and telling everyone what a big lasagna they are.

Second, Bernie has been in DC for what, 85 years? What has he done? What has he accomplished? What productive policies has he taken a leadership role on? Or has he dedicated his entire life to doing noihtng except nmaking sure he wins the next re-election?
Old 11-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #40
Jim in CT

Quote:
Didn't he say during the debate he had nothing to do with a company (diet company??) but that was rated something like a "fully not true". Didn't see the debate but thought I remember reading something about that.
I saw that part. he said he gave a paid speech at the company, and that he uses their product, and that's the extent of his relationship with that company. The moderator pushed back, sayoing that Carson's photo was on the company's website, Carson said if that was true, it was done without his knowledge.

Is what Carson said, not true?
Old 11-06-2015, 09:04 AM   #41
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
First, there is an upside to considering someone who spent hi slife actually doing things in the real world, as opposed to choosing from people who spent their whole life in Washington, doing nothing except attending cocktail parties and telling everyone what a big lasagna they are.

Second, Bernie has been in DC for what, 85 years? What has he done? What has he accomplished? What productive policies has he taken a leadership role on? Or has he dedicated his entire life to doing noihtng except nmaking sure he wins the next re-election?
It's not what he has done but what he has stood up for and what the broken system has kept him from doing.
Do you understand the label of "progressive" in the definition of progressive liberal ?
Old 11-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #42
Nebe

Bernies biggest accomplishment in my opinion is not selling out to Corperate interests.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:13 AM   #43
Jim in CT

Quote:
It's not what he has done but what he has stood up for and what the broken system has kept him from doing.
Do you understand the label of "progressive" in the definition of progressive liberal ?
"but what he has stood up for"

Nebe, the easiest thing in the world, especially in times of despair and stress (like now), is to tell people what they want to hear. And what most sheep want to hear is, "it's not your fault. That white guy over there, in the Brooks Brothers suit with the big yacht, HE stole your birthright! Elect me and I'll make damn sure it doesn't happen again".

What these snake-oil salesmen never do, is tell you how they are going to do it, in a way that doesn't destroy everything.

Do you really believe that Bernie is the first one to figure out how to make college and healthcare "free"? No one else has been able to pull that off until he came along?

"Do you understand the label of "progressive" in the definition of progressive liberal ?"

I know what it is. I can't quite say that i "understand" it. I can't quite "understand" an agenda that places convenience ahead of human life, which would rather let illegal aliens with convicted felonies roam around killing Americans than locking them up, which refuses to say that white cops kill far fewer black people than fellow black citizens, and can't even bring themselves to say "if you have a wee-wee, you go to the boy's bathroom, and if you have a vagina, you go to the girls' bathrom".

When a large group of educated, seemingly normal people can't even agree on that for Christ's sake, then no, I cannot say I understand it. My brain's ability to fantasize has its limits.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 11-06-2015 at 09:20 AM..
Old 11-06-2015, 09:15 AM   #44
Jim in CT

Quote:
Bernies biggest accomplishment in my opinion is not selling out to Corperate interests.
No, he sells out to union interests. They give him money, he uses that union money to get elected, and then is beholden to the unions, so he rewards unions with pork.

Now, if you take out the word "unions" and substitute "corporations", what's the difference, exactly?

If not selling out to corporate interests is so vital to you, you should be equally impresed with Dr Carson. He made his own way, he hasn't sold out, right?

Carson has said some strange things that make me wince in the way I did with Sarah Palin, though he is obviously far more intelligent and serious. Has carson ever said anything as crazy, as suggetsing that women fantasize about being gang-raped? Because that's what Bernie said.

How about we stop digging through the entire life history of every candidate, looking for some embarassing quote on a non-issue, in the hope that we find something to club them with?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 11-06-2015 at 09:28 AM..
Old 11-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #45
PaulS

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ection-mannat/

Ben Carson said it’s "total propaganda" to suggest he had any connection to Mannatech, a maligned nutritional supplement company.

At the Oct. 28 Republican presidential debate, hosted by CNBC in Boulder, Colo., moderator Carl Quintanilla asked Carson about his involvement with the company.

"This is a company called Mannatech, a maker of nutritional supplements, with which you had a 10-year relationship," Quintanilla said. "They offered claims they could cure autism, cancer. They paid $7 million to settle a deceptive marketing lawsuit in Texas, and yet your involvement continues. Why?"

"Well, that’s easy to answer: I didn’t have an involvement with them," replied Carson, a former pediatric neurosurgeon. "That is total propaganda. And this is what happens in our society -- total propaganda. I did a couple speeches for them. I did speeches for other people. They were paid speeches. It is absolutely absurd to say that I had any kind of relationship with them. Do I take the product? Yes. I think it’s a good product."

Mannatech sells nutritional supplement pills made from larch tree bark and aloe, ingredients with disputed health benefits. The company in 2009 settled the lawsuit, which stemmed from claims that the company was deceptively pitching cures and treatments for illnesses such as cancer and even Down Syndrome.

For Carson to say he "didn’t have an involvement with" Mannatech is a stretch. While he was not any sort of employee for the company as far as we can tell, it’s hard to see the speeches he’s delivered, as well as other promotional work, as anything but a full-throated endorsement of the product. Further, Mannatech appears to view Carson as a product promoter.

First, the speeches. Carson has delivered four to Mannatech, according to the Wall Street Journal. Carson has written these paid remarks off as just several of many diverse speeches the Washington Speakers Bureau have booked for him. But in the speeches, he talks about his personal fondness for the product, which he started taking in conjunction with cancer treatment years ago.

For example, Carson delivered remarks to Mannatech sales associates in 2004. In the speech, he talked about his introduction to Mannatech’s supplements and a personal conversation he had with the company’s lead doctor.

"I started taking the product, and within about three weeks, my symptoms went away," adding that he toyed with the idea of using only the supplements, rather than undergoing cancer surgery. He said in the remarks that it would be inappropriate for him to be an official spokesman or sales associate, but he does refer people to Mannatech.

Since then, he has appeared in Mannatech-produced videos that appear to be promotional materials. In 2011, he answered questions in an interview with Mannatech’s co-CEO and chief science officer. In a 2013 Mannatech video, Carson described his experience with nutritional supplements.

"The wonderful thing about a company like Mannatech is that they recognize that when God made us, he gave us the right fuel. And that fuel was the right kind of healthy food," Carson said in the 2013 video. "Basically what the company is doing is trying to find a way to restore natural diet as a medicine or as a mechanism for maintaining health."

Carson also talked about his use of nutritional supplements on PBS in 2014, and Mannatech promoted the interview on its homepage. While it’s no longer accessible, the Mannatech website had a specific tag for all articles about Carson.

Carson’s campaign requested that Mannatech remove some videos and articles featuring Carson from its website. And since media outlets have started poking around this question, Mannatech has taken down even more, according to reporters at the Wall Street Journal.

Our ruling

Carson said, "I didn’t have an involvement with" the nutritional supplement company Mannatech.

As far as we can tell, Carson was not a paid employee or official endorser of the product. However, his claim suggests he has no ties to Mannatech whatsoever. In reality, he got paid to deliver speeches to Mannatech and appeared in promotional videos, and he consistently delivered glowing reviews of the nutritional supplements. As a world-renowned surgeon, Carson’s opinion on health issues carries weight, and Mannatech has used Carson’s endorsement to its advantage.

We rate Carson’s claim False.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #46
PaulS

I haven't really followed the pyramid story but unless I'm missing something, I don't view it as that big a deal. so what he believes that? I know the pyramids where contrusted in such a way it wouldn't make sense to story grain there but so what.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #47
PaulS

Quote:
How about we stop digging through the entire life history of every candidate, looking for some embarassing quote on a non-issue, in the hope that we find something to club them with?
Sort of how we never discuss where Pres. Obama went to church in Chicago?

Here is why it is different.......
Old 11-06-2015, 09:48 AM   #48
Jim in CT

Quote:
I haven't really followed the pyramid story but unless I'm missing something, I don't view it as that big a deal. so what he believes that? I know the pyramids where contrusted in such a way it wouldn't make sense to story grain there but so what.
Yous story about the nutritional company, makes his claim that he had no relationship, seem like b.s.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #49
Jim in CT

Quote:
Sort of how we never discuss where Pres. Obama went to church in Chicago?

Not the same. We have all said embarassing things that should not be used to try to define us. Rev Wright wasn't a one-night stand for Obama, it wasn't a one-time slip of the tongue. That was a close relationship that lasted for decades (lasted until, in fcat, it was politically expedient for Obama to dump him). Obama called him his "spiritual mentor". And Wright is a bat-sh*t crazy, white-hating, anti-Semite.

I view Obama's regular attendance at that church, no different than I view a white candidate who went to peaceful KKK meetings every Sunday for 20 years. Same thing. No one, and I mean no one, can sit in that church for 20 years, actually believe th ebile being spewed, and not hate white people.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #50
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I'll take an honest believer over a calculating liar any day....
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/1...t-point-215598
Old 11-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #51
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Spence, these things are bothersome to me as a Republican. If he was lying, he needs to go away.

Now, here is a test. Will you say the same thing about Hilary and her sniper fire claim?
Old 11-06-2015, 12:32 PM   #52
scottw

Quote:
if he's a liar, you won't find me defending him, parsing words, making up chit the way that you do to defend your rats

if only you held your idols to the same standards....rather, you make a game out of condoning their behavior...all the while acting shocked at others

If I were Eben, I'd dismiss and say they all do it and provide some pretty solid examples
Old 11-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #53
spence

Quote:
Now, here is a test. Will you say the same thing about Hilary and her sniper fire claim?
Apples and oranges.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #54
scottw

Quote:
Apples and oranges.
Carson will be labeled a liar and the Clinton's will march on with their noses up
Old 11-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #55
Jim in CT

Quote:
Apples and oranges.
Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Please explain.

Looks like they both lied to improve their resume.

Good god, man.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #56
scottw

http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/06/te...-outright-lie/
Old 11-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #57
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
He's a sharp and accomplished guy, his life story is incredible, and he comes across as sincere, soft-spoken and thoughtful. All very attractive qualities.

But he says some strange things. And there are several claims of lying, but as you pointed out, the liberals probably aren't above fabricating that in attempts to discredit him, because his existence spits in the face of half of the current liberal agenda.

Chris Mathews said the other night that Carson's rise is tied to "the return of simpletonism" in America. In which, Matthews refers to the former head of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins, as a "simpleton". Because as we all know, pediatric neurosurgery is simple. Liberals like to focus on complicated things, such as which bathroom a person is supposed to use. That's a real head-scratcher.

Yet whever anyone says anything critical about Obama, it's painted as thinly veiled racism.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #58
Nebe

Guess what. He is a liar!
Just admitted to lieing about receiving a West Point scholarship.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #59
Nebe

Boom! As spence says.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #60
Jim in CT

Quote:

Boom! As spence says.
Slow down there, cowboy.

Read Scottw's post just above.

Should be easy to check out, either his book claims he was accepted to West Point, or it doesn't.

And Spence doesn't say it, won't say it, can't say it, about Hilary, when there is zro ambiguity about whether or not she is a liar.