Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 04-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
JohnnyD

Paver Stones

First, I'll apologize up front. We just bought our first house in December and now that the last bits of snow are gone, I'm finally able to work in the yard. With that in mind, I'll be posting in DIY a lot.

So, the house is 30 years old and the guy who owned it before us was there for 28 years and apparently a master carpenter. With that in mind, I've already seen 100 things that make me go "seriously? He builds houses for a living?"

The yard needs *a lot* of work. He ripped out all the landscaping "to update things" and then never did anything except leave tons of stumps, cut holly bushes too aggressively that they need to be dug up. He put in a sprinkler system (which I appreciate) but with no plot plan of the lines or zones. To top it off, he used poorly treated 6"x6" wood as retaining walls for flower beds that go right up to the house and surround the deck footings and throughout the property.

Exploring the yard, I've found random termite bait stations and that got me to look more at the retaining walls. I'd say 75% have at least some rot and historical termite damage.

With all that in mind, manicuring the yard, planting trees and actually putting in some flowers/bushes has now taken a backseat to getting all of that rotten, termite-friendly wood out and replaced with paver stones.

Any advice on sources, styles, install best-practices, etc?

Thanks in advance.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
spence

By paving stones do you mean wall stone?

Post pics.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post

So, the house is 30 years old and the guy who owned it before us was there for 28 years and apparently a master carpenter. With that in mind, I've already seen 100 things that make me go "seriously? .
Ever heard the expression a shoe maker has no shoes.

I am a master electrician and the first thing I did when I moved into my house was remove the panel covers I still have fuses also. Last thing I want to do is wire when I get home.

I am the man in the Bassless Chaps
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

My only suggestion with building any type of landscape wall is make sure you excavate the area properly and rent a mechanical tamper. I have seen the uni lock system go into place and it does a nice job. I would go to a real landscape construction. Yard and talk to the people there about how the system shod be installed and start with a solid base it will make the entire installation go 100 times smoother.
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
By paving stones do you mean wall stone?

Post pics.
In this neighborhood...
How to Build a Retaining Wall - YouTube!
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote