Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

obamacare

is there any truth to the obamacare bill that plans to put a 3% tax on all home sales after 2012. that money would go to the government to be used for obamacare purposes. that's 12K on a 400K home. sounds like a lube job to me... if it's even true.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

I believe it's true or have at least heard something to that effect.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
PaulS

Even worse, its 15K on a 500,000 house.

I thought the money was going to be used to buy more limos?
Old 06-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

snopes.com: 3.8% Tax on Real Estate Transactions

pretty much true but once again, its only the "high earners" . you know the working population who Obama and the Dems keep targeting for all their $ solutions. As it keeps adding up, these high earners will only be keeping 40 cents for every dollar they make.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 06-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post

pretty much true but once again, its only the "high earners" . you know the working population who Obama and the Dems keep targeting for all their $ solutions. As it keeps adding up, these high earners will only be keeping 40 cents for every dollar they make.
It makes me feel lucky to be poor.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 06-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
striperman36
Old Guy

Move to the Bahamas
Old 06-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Stewie
Scarecrow

Nope, It will only apply to gains of more than 250,000 on your house. Even then it will only be imposed on those with an income above 200,000, 250,000 for a couple. You guys ought to look into the truth of what you type before you post it, I Googled it up because you had me starting to get mad. No need of that, there is plenty of real horror going on without people adding to the existing insanity.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
PaulS

I thought the 250K was for a single and 500K for a couple.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
striperman36
Old Guy

snopes it
Old 06-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
zimmy

for real estate it is 3.8% tax on real estate profits over $500,000 on the portion above $500,000. So if you sell your house and make a PROFIT of 525,000. You would pay a tax of 3.8% on $25000. So basically, you make $525000 in profits and pay $1000 in taxes on that.

The way to feed the anger is to distort reality. It is seen time and time again in this forum, typically in the original post before the details come out.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
for real estate it is 3.8% tax on real estate profits over $500,000 on the portion above $500,000. So if you sell your house and make a PROFIT of 525,000. You would pay a tax of 3.8% on $25000. So basically, you make $525000 in profits and pay $1000 in taxes on that.

The way to feed the anger is to distort reality. It is seen time and time again in this forum, typically in the original post before the details come out.
The $500K is for couples. $250K for single filers.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:

No one distorted reality in this thread. I posted the details, 3rd reply. But, all of this was HIDDEN in the healthcare bill. More sneaky crap they rammed in. most people are not aware.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #13
PaulS

Quote:
No one distorted reality in this thread. I posted the details, 3rd reply. But, all of this was HIDDEN in the healthcare bill. More sneaky crap they rammed in. most people are not aware.
Sure your response was distorted.

The original post said that on a 400K house the tax was $12K.

That is not true. There is atleast a $250K deduction for capital gains (assuming a singe filer). So at the most the tax would be only on $150K (and that still would ignore the original cost of the house).

Anyone- If I'm not correct pls. correct me as I'm not an accountant.

You replied "pretty much true"
Old 06-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #14
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Don't worry with the real estate market the way it is and the way it's headed the house bought for $500,000 will sell for $375,000 if your lucky.
Should be able to write it off as a loss. Ya right.

" Choose Life "
Old 06-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Don't worry with the real estate market the way it is and the way it's headed the house bought for $500,000 will sell for $375,000 if your lucky.
Should be able to write it off as a loss. Ya right.
ain't that the truth. it's already that way here.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #16
Redsoxticket

Capital Gain: Sale of a Principal Residence

John and Mary sold their principal residence and realized a gain of $525,000.
They have $325,000 Adjusted Gross Income (before adding taxable gain).

The tax applies as follows:
AGI Before Taxable Gain$325,000
Gain on Sale of Residence$525,000
Taxable Gain (Added to AGI) $25,000 ($525,000 – $500,000)
New AGI$350,000 ($325,000 + $25,000 taxable gain)
Excess of AGI over $250,000$100,000 ($350,000 – $250,000)
Lesser Amount (Taxable) $25,000 (Taxable gain)
Tax Due$950 ($25,000 x 0.038)

NOTE:
If John and Mary had a gain of less than $500,000 on the sale of their residence,
none of that gain would be subject to the 3.8% tax. Whether they paid the 3.8% tax
would depend on the other components of their $325,000 AGI.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 06-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #17
Redsoxticket

The new tax rate applies to Individuals with adjusted gross income (AGI) above $200,000
Couples ?ling a joint return with more than $250,000 AGI
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 06-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #18
zimmy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by american spirit View Post
is there any truth to the obamacare bill that plans to put a 3% tax on all home sales after 2012. that money would go to the government to be used for obamacare purposes. that's 12K on a 400K home. sounds like a lube job to me... if it's even true.
Quote:

This is what is spread around the internet by the false alarmists

"Obamacare Tax on Home Sales. Imposes a 3.8 percent tax on home sales and other real estate transactions. Middle-income people must pay the full tax even if they are “rich” for only one day – the day they sell their house and buy a new one."

You can look at the version on snopes too.

Pretty much true?????? It is a entirely a distortion of reality. If a couple has a 500000 mortgage balance and sell their house for 1 million, they don't pay it. That is no where close to it being true about 3% on all home sales or 12k on a $400,000 home.

Lie's that incite anger amongst those who don't think. If someone is angry about a 3.8% tax on profits from a sale over 500,000, I have no beef with that. It is the anger from all of the distortions about what Obama has done that is f'd up. It is one after another after another. Kudo's to american spirit for checking to see if it is actually true.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:57 AM   #19
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

...... so it's only a tax on the wealthy. i will never be in that income bracket or be able to sell a home for that much anyway. my insanely republican father-in-law alway has some wild information to share with me, so i needed to look into this one more closely and get specifics.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #20
zimmy

Quote:
...... so it's only a tax on the wealthy. i will never be in that income bracket or be able to sell a home for that much anyway.
RIJIMMY ain;t gonna love that sentiment

Old 06-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #21
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
RIJIMMY ain;t gonna love that sentiment
because I believe in myself and my income potential. I also pay attention to the CONSTANT attack on people making over 250k. Also note this is INVESTMENT dollars, not just houses. So all folks (yes, the wealthy) cashing in big investments - stocks, bonds, etc. Will pay income tax, cap gains and now THIS tax. How as an American, no matter how much money you make, not PISS YOU OFF?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #22
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
How as an American, no matter how much money you make, not PISS YOU OFF?
Used to be a rule of thumb you work thru May to pay for your taxes.
Bet it's closer to June, 6 months, now.

" Choose Life "
Old 06-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #23
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Quote:
because I believe in myself and my income potential. I also pay attention to the CONSTANT attack on people making over 250k. Also note this is INVESTMENT dollars, not just houses. So all folks (yes, the wealthy) cashing in big investments - stocks, bonds, etc. Will pay income tax, cap gains and now THIS tax. How as an American, no matter how much money you make, not PISS YOU OFF?
CHECK!!

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 06-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #24
PaulS

Quote:
How as an American, no matter how much money you make, not PISS YOU OFF?
Now that we know you believe in your self, I'm gonna guess you could care less about anyone else.

- To your question - B/C I don't want to live in the idilic word that repubs. seem to want to live in - you know one with minimal taxes, minimal govern, minimal regulations/laws that kill jobs, minimal social services, minimal aid to higher education (you must have gone to private school all your life and never had to use a service provided by the govern) , - you know like Pakistan or Somalia. I guess my vision for this country is different that the repubs - prob. why I left the party.

2/3 of proposed repub. cuts would hurt the low and moderate income families - very telling. I guess for the richest 1% , having a larger net worth than the bottom 90% isn't enough.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #25
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Now that we know you believe in your self, I'm gonna guess you could care less about anyone else.

really? My tax bill and my charitable donations and town/public service would beg to differ.

- To your question - B/C I don't want to live in the idilic word that repubs. seem to want to live in - you know one with minimal taxes, minimal govern, minimal regulations/laws that kill jobs, minimal social services, minimal aid to higher education (you must have gone to private school all your life and never had to use a service provided by the govern) , - you know like Pakistan or Somalia. I guess my vision for this country is different that the repubs - prob. why I left the party.

You dont state how giving people money helps them in the long run? Has it ever Paul? Why do the cities and states that have been primarily Dem are all in the crapper? How as govt spending helped at all? Please, i want to see proof? All I have ever seen help this country is entruprenurship (cant spell it). And yes, I actually did go to private schools my whole life, my blue collar parents sent me and my sister. Both w/o degrees, busted their butts to send their kids to good schools, we still vacationed, saved $ and they both retired early. How did they do it? HARD WORK AND SACRFICE. Funny how that works.

2/3 of proposed repub. cuts would hurt the low and moderate income families - very telling. I guess for the richest 1% , having a larger net worth than the bottom 90% isn't enough.
its not telling, its common sense - only the low and moderate DEPEND on govt spending. Maybe it wouldnt hurt, maybe people would save more, sacrifice and work harder? Maybe it would make people proud to buy american, maybe lead to new ideas?
Once you again you and others mix up having with EARNING. If people have 90% of the income, its because THEY EARNED IT. They already pay SHAT loads of taxes.

and PS - Im not a repub.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #26
PaulS

Quote:
because I believe in myself and my income potential.
atta boy! Now we know that moeny is your most important thing in life. The repubs have a voter for life!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #27
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
atta boy! Now we know that moeny is your most important thing in life. The repubs have a voter for life!
no. paying for my kids education, giving them a good home and providing for my family WITHOUT RELYING ON THE GOVT is one of the most important thing in my life.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #28
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
...... so it's only a tax on the wealthy. i will never be in that income bracket or be able to sell a home for that much anyway. my insanely republican father-in-law alway has some wild information to share with me, so i needed to look into this one more closely and get specifics.
atta boy! thats the spirit aim high! The dems have a voter for life!

I guess Ted Knight just about sums it up for most of you....

Old 06-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #29
PaulS

Now I can't quote a response.

Taxes are a requirement so you don't get credit for paying - the federal Pen. prob. isn't a nice place. The repub, conserv. etc. (what ever word you want to use - we can split hair on idiology labels, etc. I do incorrectly use the labels dem/reb. inappropriately) platform is to have minimal taxes and regulations - that all favors people of means who can go out an pay for whatever they need and doesn't effect them.

bad roads, crappy mass transit - buy a larger heavier duty car
poor educ. system - private schools
faulty electrical grid - private generators
no police (high crime) - live in a gated community, private police force.
crappy hospitals - private clinics, fly to a good hospital
cut back on social services - if you have $, you don't need social services
etc. etc.

No one wants to "give" people money. It's about having decent services for people to poor to be able to afford things on their own. As I've said, if you get welfare, I think you need to do some work for it. I don't see who someone can think that getting $15K a year from the govern. is enough to keep people from working (Certainly there is a tiny % who will want to sit on their butt). It's why when there are job fairs, I see long lines of people trying for those jobs.

You and your family had the where with all to pull yourselves up - many people don't.

Look at the tax burden of states that all get more/dollar in tax returns then they pay in - all states that vote repub. (south, midwest, etc). I bet Kentucky gets as much back as any state in tax revenue yet elects Rand Paul. They aught to put their $ where their mouth is an refuse fed. $.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #30
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

RIJ Quote-

"How did they do it, HARD WORK AND SACRAFICE". Funny how that works.

Ya, God forbid you live within your means, buy something when you
can afford it, save part of your income no matter what, and put your
family first.
If everybody did that we wouldn't be in the mess we are in as everybody
would be taking care of their own.

" Choose Life "