Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #61
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
Much ado about nothing still. Makes the campaign and coverage of it look like a joke. That is what happens when people are desperate and exposed.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
funny how this is such a big deal but the Bengazi cover up....pfffft...not so much sure hope it doesn't come up on Monday
Old 10-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #62
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
Much ado about nothing still. Makes the campaign and coverage of it look like a joke. That is what happens when people are desperate and exposed.
Those who cry 'desperate and exposed' are usually the most looking for more rocks to throw.

If its much ado about nothing, why keep bringing it up? Or even acknowledging it?

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 10-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #63
scottw

always brilliant....no, not you Lickwid

The Great Binder Blunder - National Review Online
Old 10-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #64
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
always brilliant....no, not you Lickwid

The Great Binder Blunder - National Review Online
I know you're not from MA, but maybe you missed the part where his binder full of women ended with less women employed than before he came into office.

I know, grasping for straws, sure.

Too easy.

Last edited by likwid; 10-20-2012 at 03:56 PM..

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 10-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #65
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
I know you're not from MA, but maybe you missed the part where his binder full of women ended with less women employed than before he came into office.

I know, grasping for straws, sure.

Too easy.
which means what? is it possible to seek qualified women and minorities to fill positions but in the end the most qualified applicant might not come form those categories, is there some quota that must be met?..in MA?

"Women made up only 25 percent of the 64 new appointments Romney made. By the end of his term, the number of women in high-ranking positions was slightly lower than it was before Romney took office."

is this somehow proof that he has a women problem of some sort?

yes...grasping for something....for sure...
Old 10-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #66
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
which means what? is it possible to seek qualified women and minorities to fill positions but in the end the most qualified applicant might not come form those categories, is there some quota that must be met?..in MA?
So in one year qualified women hold 40%+ of positions then the number falls because of lack of qualified women...while at the same time women graduating college and earning law degrees is rising...and then after Romney the qualified women suddenly reappear?

That doesn't add up.

-spence
Old 10-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #67
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
So in one year qualified women hold 40%+ of positions then the number falls because of lack of qualified women...while at the same time women graduating college and earning law degrees is rising...and then after Romney the qualified women suddenly reappear?

That doesn't add up.

-spence
ERMAHGERD
MERTH

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 10-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #68
scottw

Quote:

That doesn't add up.

-spence
Romney appointed 14 women out of his first 33 senior-level appointments.....42 percent.

a UMass-Boston study found that the percentage of senior-level appointed positions held by women actually declined throughout the Romney administration, from 30.0% prior to his taking office, to 29.7% in July 2004, to 27.6% near the end of his term in November 2006.

shocking decline....

According to the Daily Mail, Romney ultimately hired four women for his 11 available cabinet positions. But one, Ellen Roy Herzfelder, only lasted around two years. Herzfelder was named the secretary of the Executive Office of Environmental Affairs but left in 2005 to spend more time with her children. She later became a senior policy adviser.

Jennifer David Carey served as Romney's secretary of Elder Affairs. She currently works as the senior director of training and education for the University of Massachusetts Medical School.

Kerry Healey, ultimately became Romney's lieutenant governor. She was praised for her cuts to the deficit and ultimately ran for governor herself. However, she and her fellow Republican nominee were defeated by Democrat Deval Patrick. She also has been appointed to executive committees by Hillary Clinton and Condoleezza Rice.

Jane Edmonds, is currently a professor at Northeastern University. She told the paper that she thinks her former boss would "make an excellent president," even though Edmonds herself is a Democrat. She worked under Romney as the Secretary of Workforce Defense.

Last edited by scottw; 10-20-2012 at 09:01 PM..
Old 10-21-2012, 06:02 AM   #69
Mr. Sandman

In the engineering world...when women graduate college their starting salaries are always higher (by a substantial margin) then the equivalent male with the same gpa in the same field from the same school.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #70
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
In the engineering world...when women graduate college their starting salaries are always higher (by a substantial margin) then the equivalent male with the same gpa in the same field from the same school.
That's because they represent a fraction of male candidates.

Supply and demand.

-spence
Old 10-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #71
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
That's because they represent a fraction of male candidates.

Supply and demand.

-spence
HuH?

Why is it not equal work for equal pay? Gender should nothing to do with it!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #72
spence

Quote:
HuH?

Why is it not equal work for equal pay? Gender should nothing to do with it!
You mentioned starting salary, if companies are seeking to balance their workforce that would naturally increase the initial rate.

That doesn't mean that female engineers really earn more on the job, I do believe their averages are still below men. Some of this is probably historical (i.e. more experienced men in the workforce) and some could be due to inequality.

-spence
Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #73
JohnnyD

Quote:
You mentioned starting salary, if companies are seeking to balance their workforce that would naturally increase the initial rate.

That doesn't mean that female engineers really earn more on the job, I do believe their averages are still below men. Some of this is probably historical (i.e. more experienced men in the workforce) and some could be due to inequality.

-spence
The wage gap debate is a load of horse*&$t with data that is skewed to make women look like innocent victims while us men enjoy a society that rewards you for having a penis.

You'd do well to read this article (written by a woman) that was in Forbes this past April:
It's Time That We End the Equal Pay Myth - Forbes

Here's the most important part that demonstrates the Sham of 'wage gap' arguments:
"The wage gap statistic, however, doesn’t compare two similarly situated co-workers of different sexes, working in the same industry, performing the same work, for the same number of hours a day. It merely reflects the median earnings of all men and women classified as full-time workers."
Old 10-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #74
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
The wage gap debate is a load of horse*&$t with data that is skewed to make women look like innocent victims while us men enjoy a society that rewards you for having a penis.

You'd do well to read this article (written by a woman) that was in Forbes this past April:
It's Time That We End the Equal Pay Myth - Forbes

Here's the most important part that demonstrates the Sham of 'wage gap' arguments:
"The wage gap statistic, however, doesn’t compare two similarly situated co-workers of different sexes, working in the same industry, performing the same work, for the same number of hours a day. It merely reflects the median earnings of all men and women classified as full-time workers."
Besides if women could do the work as well and they get paid less, who the hell would hire a man???
Old 10-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #75
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Call me a caveman but I don't care if women are paid less.
Women 20-40 years old more than likely will need maternity leave & on average will have 2 or 3 kids.
Kids get sick, one of the parents has to stay home with them. Usually that's the mother.
How can this not be a factor when a company hires employees and negotiates salary/pay.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #76
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Call me a caveman but I don't care if women are paid less.
Women 20-40 years old more than likely will need maternity leave & on average will have 2 or 3 kids.
Kids get sick, one of the parents has to stay home with them. Usually that's the mother.
How can this not be a factor when a company hires employees and negotiates salary/pay.
It's 2012 Ron , the guys get maternity leave too
It's pathetic
Old 10-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #77
Sea Dangles

The top companies offer maternity for both sexes,even when adopting.
They give benefits to gay couples
They even pay for fat camp for porkers
Fatsos cost a lot for employers,way more than any pregnant lady.
There are meetings involving top CEO's discussing how hard it is to employ obese sacks of shiite.
Using Ronnies logic,they should get paid less just for being jellybellies.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 10-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #78
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
It's 2012 Ron , the guys get maternity leave too
It's pathetic
Yeah, it's pathetic that I took a couple of weeks off when my son was born, and will again when my daughter is born to help my wife...

what a pussy I am I guess. should have stood in the waiting room with a cigar and then gone back to work

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #79
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Using Ronnies logic,they should get paid less just for being jellybellies.
They absolutely should be paid less when compared to someone with an equal skill set. The obese (similarly to smokers) miss more days of work, contribute a significant amount to health care costs and are less productive than their thinner coworkers due to an significantly elevated risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and many other diseases that will directly affect job performance in many workplaces.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:46 AM   #80
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Yeah, it's pathetic that I took a couple of weeks off when my son was born, and will again when my daughter is born to help my wife...

what a pussy I am I guess. should have stood in the waiting room with a cigar and then gone back to work
It wasn't a personal assault Brian
Wow,,,touchy
Just saying our parents managed just fine as did my wife because I was self employed. I adjusted my schedule to help out but I couldn't afford to take 2 weeks .
A friend has a small company with 5 emoyees he was telling me that 3 of ther men will be out on maternity leave on the same 2 weeks
He was pissed and he didn't take time off because he couldn't when his kids were born
Not judging ....just saying
Old 10-22-2012, 03:51 AM   #81
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

It seems personal when it is you, no? Just like your visceral reaction based on yours and your friends reaction. (my post might have seemed more angry, was supposed to be more snarky than anything...)

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-22-2012, 05:30 AM   #82
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
It seems personal when it is you, no? Just like your visceral reaction based on yours and your friends reaction. (my post might have seemed more angry, was supposed to be more snarky than anything...)
Everyone's situation is different ,that we can agree on
We can both probably agree on it's a matter of convenience not necessity in most cases
Old 10-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #83
Jim in CT

Quote:
They absolutely should be paid less when compared to someone with an equal skill set. The obese (similarly to smokers) miss more days of work, contribute a significant amount to health care costs and are less productive than their thinner coworkers due to an significantly elevated risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and many other diseases that will directly affect job performance in many workplaces.
Bingo.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #84
Mr. Sandman

I agree, taxes should be (in part) calculated by our weight not just our income.
If you want to get the weight down and make america healthier, tax someone by the pound.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #85
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

attached is a list of some of the largest, successful companies in america. Waa, waa, they're run by WOMEN! Thats right a WOMAN runs IBM. HP, PepsiCO.
WTF! So when that little girl (aka victim) whined about equal pay in the debate, one of the candidates should have said "sweetie, do you have clue how many major companies are run by women? You work hard and prove yourself and people will be fighting for you and will pay you what you're worth" End of f'in story.

America's top 10 female CEOs- MSN Money

America's 10 Most Powerful Female CEOs | InvestorPlace

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 10-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #86
Scuttlebutt
Guess what...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
attached is a list of some of the largest, successful companies in america. Waa, waa, they're run by WOMEN! Thats right a WOMAN runs IBM. HP, PepsiCO.
WTF! So when that little girl (aka victim) whined about equal pay in the debate, one of the candidates should have said "sweetie, do you have clue how many major companies are run by women? You work hard and prove yourself and people will be fighting for you and will pay you what you're worth" End of f'in story.

America's top 10 female CEOs- MSN Money

America's 10 Most Powerful Female CEOs | InvestorPlace
Or....sweetie... do you know who the Minority Leader of the House of Representatives is? SHE has a net worth of about 58 million dollars.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #87
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
They should be paid the same....as long as they are performing to the same level required by the person/company hiring them then it shouldn't matter what their weight is, or what their sex is.

Maybe Their health insurance contributions should be higher if they have high risk factors (i.e. smokers, drinkers, obesity)...but their pay should be given to them strictly on their performance. They do their job, they get paid.....

If they miss more days of work then you can fire them or dock their pay......

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 10-22-2012 at 11:56 AM..

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #88
Piscator

Quote:
I agree, taxes should be (in part) calculated by our weight not just our income.
If you want to get the weight down and make america healthier, tax someone by the pound.
Muscle weighs more than fat

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 10-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #89
FishermanTim

"Romney doesn't get women who work" - CNN

(Possibly, but we know Clinton did, in more ways than one!)

Maybe if he called it a little black book? Surely that would be less offensive that binder?

All I see is more waste of time and money defending an idiot attack by idiots!

Maybe after we finish with Bigbird and Binders we can tackle truly important issues....like "Is bigfoot real?" or "What is the special sauce on a Big Mac made from?"
Old 10-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #90
PaulS

[QUOTE=FishermanTim;964850(Possibly, Maybe after we finish with Bigbird and Binders we can tackle truly important issues....like "Is bigfoot real?" or "What is the special sauce on a Big Mac made from?"[/QUOTE]

Or let's spend 2 more years trying to find out if Obama is really a Muslim